.FORGET tag

  • David
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 15, 2006
      My son is going to switch characters and I need to add some
      information from the Quintessential Ranger I & II. Since I plan,
      eventually, to do the whole book (probably next summer), what I want
      to do is .FORGET the current Ranger definition and add a new one with
      Subclasses.

      When I try add CLASS:Ranger.FORGET, then the new definition in the
      same file, I get "can't load duplicate class, Ranger". If I make it
      two files, 1 to do the FORGET @ Rank 8, and 1 to do the new Ranger
      definition, I get the same message.

      In either case, there is no Ranger definition when I try to create a
      new character.

      Is there anyway to do what I am attempting? or should I just do it via
      Templates? or create a new Class called something other than Ranger?

      -- david
      Papa-DRB
    • Paul Grosse
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 15, 2006
        > My son is going to switch characters and I need to add some
        > information from the Quintessential Ranger I & II. Since I
        > plan, eventually, to do the whole book (probably next
        > summer), what I want to do is .FORGET the current Ranger
        > definition and add a new one with Subclasses.
        >
        > When I try add CLASS:Ranger.FORGET, then the new definition
        > in the same file, I get "can't load duplicate class, Ranger".
        > If I make it two files, 1 to do the FORGET @ Rank 8, and 1 to
        > do the new Ranger definition, I get the same message.
        >
        > In either case, there is no Ranger definition when I try to
        > create a new character.
        >
        > Is there anyway to do what I am attempting? or should I just
        > do it via Templates? or create a new Class called something
        > other than Ranger?
        >
        > -- david
        > Papa-DRB

        FORGET is ALWAYS done last. Use either .MOD or Ranger (New class)

        Paul G.
      • Eddy Anthony
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 15, 2006
          On 12/15/06 2:46 PM, "David" <Papa-DRB@...> wrote:

          > My son is going to switch characters and I need to add some
          > information from the Quintessential Ranger I & II. Since I plan,
          > eventually, to do the whole book (probably next summer), what I want
          > to do is .FORGET the current Ranger definition and add a new one with
          > Subclasses.
          >
          > When I try add CLASS:Ranger.FORGET, then the new definition in the
          > same file, I get "can't load duplicate class, Ranger". If I make it
          > two files, 1 to do the FORGET @ Rank 8, and 1 to do the new Ranger
          > definition, I get the same message.
          >
          > In either case, there is no Ranger definition when I try to create a
          > new character.
          >
          > Is there anyway to do what I am attempting? or should I just do it via
          > Templates? or create a new Class called something other than Ranger?

          I don't think you can replace a forgotten object with one by the same name,
          if you .FORGET a ranger and make a new both will be forgotten.

          You probably need to make your alternate class with a different name like
          "Ranger (Alternate)" or something.
          --
          ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 15, 2006
            David,

            Depending on what you need...

            If you have others playing a normal Ranger then I'd make a New Ranger
            (Foo/Source) class. Copy all the Ranger stuff, use the
            SPELLLIST:1|Ranger Tag to get the ranger spells, other than that you
            can now customize your new class to your heart's content.
            If your changes aren't to big, then go ahead and use templates. Just
            remember that you need to add the template before gaining a level meant
            for the template or it won't get applied.

            Just an FYI: For class variants from other sources, the norm I've seen
            is 'Base Class Name (Source)' ex. Cleric (Fey). Making it separate class
            allows for easier tracking. You can still play the 'base' class or you
            can get the variant. You could even mix and match.

            That's the best I can offer unless you give more details as to what you
            intend to do with the class.

            Andrew

            David wrote:
            > My son is going to switch characters and I need to add some
            > information from the Quintessential Ranger I & II. Since I plan,
            > eventually, to do the whole book (probably next summer), what I want
            > to do is .FORGET the current Ranger definition and add a new one with
            > Subclasses.
            >
            > When I try add CLASS:Ranger.FORGET, then the new definition in the
            > same file, I get "can't load duplicate class, Ranger". If I make it
            > two files, 1 to do the FORGET @ Rank 8, and 1 to do the new Ranger
            > definition, I get the same message.
            >
            > In either case, there is no Ranger definition when I try to create a
            > new character.
            >
            > Is there anyway to do what I am attempting? or should I just do it via
            > Templates? or create a new Class called something other than Ranger?
            >
            > -- david
            > Papa-DRB
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Richard Bowers
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 15, 2006
              You don't want to use .FORGET for this - that's what you would use if you
              were using a campaign without rangers entirely. The .FORGET tag works last,
              whether or not you use rangers. I use it in a campaign where psionic
              characters don't get the normal attack/defense modes to forget those modes.

              Instead, you want to either .MOD Ranger, or create a whole new class with a
              slightly different name. Either one works, depending on how nicely you want
              your source to play with others.

              Richard