Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] how to gain Hit Dice at particular levels?

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 11, 2006

      oggmosh wrote:
      > I have a class I want to implement that doesn't gain a HD at every
      > level, but only at particular levels. Is there a way to do this? My
      > understanding of levels in PCGen is that they gain the stated HD every
      > level, so I doubt it's possible.
      >
      > Also, another class that does a similar thing has an ability related
      > to its HD, not to its level (so a level 7 thingie with 4 HD can do
      > cast as a level 4). Would there be a way to do this?
      >
      > Otherwise, is there a way to add some abilities half-way through a
      > level, or change the XP progression? IE, a way I could call my level 7
      > thingie with 4 HD a level 4, with 7 different abilities, with the XP
      > requirement of a level 7 elsewhere? (You have enough experience to get
      > the level 4.5 abilities now...)
      >
      > I can't see this working in PCgen, but I thought I'd ask.

      You'll get many replies to this, so let me be the first to throw in my
      two cents.

      Your best bet is to use templates that you design. These methods require
      a little work and are 'quick' fixes for the problem.

      You mention lack of HD at certain levels - I do not know of a way to NOT
      gain a HD with a level, but you can use a template to remove HP. If the
      HD results in a SAVE bonus or BAB you can also have a tag that removes
      those as well.

      That's the easiest way off the top of my head. But I'm sure one of our
      advanced simians will be more apt with a very workable solution. :)

      Tags:
      BONUS:CURRENTMAXHP|-x (x being the number you want removed.
      BONUS:COMBAT|BAB|-1
      BONUS:SKILLPOOL|NUMBER|x

      etc. Depending on what it is they don't get...
      Example:
      MyTemplateFoo <TAB> BONUS:CURRENTMAXHP|-4

      Hope that helps.

      Andrew

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Paul W. King
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 12, 2006
        > I have a class I want to implement that doesn't gain a HD at every
        > level, but only at particular levels. Is there a way to do this? My
        > understanding of levels in PCGen is that they gain the stated HD
        > every level, so I doubt it's possible.

        This gets tricky. Assume the monster has a d8 HD. On the 1st level
        that it doesn't get a HD (2nd, 3rd, etc), put:

        BONUS:HD|MIN|-1
        BONUS:HD|MAX|-8

        On the level it gets a new HD, put

        BONUS:HD|MIN|1
        BONUS:HD|MAX|8

        Keep flip-flopping like this for the progression of the class.

        > Also, another class that does a similar thing has an ability related
        > to its HD, not to its level (so a level 7 thingie with 4 HD can do
        > cast as a level 4). Would there be a way to do this?

        Instead of having BONUS:CASTERLEVEL in the CLASS line, put it on the
        level lines that gets a HD.

        > Otherwise, is there a way to add some abilities half-way through a
        > level, or change the XP progression? IE, a way I could call my level
        > 7 thingie with 4 HD a level 4, with 7 different abilities, with the
        > XP requirement of a level 7 elsewhere? (You have enough experience
        > to get the level 4.5 abilities now...)

        I think a template would probably be the best way to go here.

        Paul W. King
        PR SB, BoD
      • Andriy Sen
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 12, 2006
          I've done like this:

          CLASS:Example Class HD:0 TYPE:Monster.PC ABB:EC LANGAUTO:Literacy BONUS:CHECKS|BASE.Fortitude|CL/4
          BONUS:CHECKS|BASE.Will,BASE.Reflex|(CL+2)/4+2 BONUS:COMBAT|BAB|CL/2+1|TYPE=Base.REPLACE MAXLEVEL:6
          CLASS:Example Class STARTSKILLPTS:2 CSKILL:Listen|Move Silently|Spot|Survival LEVELSPERFEAT:4 MAXLEVEL:6 PRERACETYPE:Monstrous
          Humanoid
          1 HITDIE:8 FEATAUTO:Simple Weapon Proficiency BONUS:WEAPONPROF=NatWeap|DAMAGESIZE|1 BONUS:COMBAT|AC|1|TYPE=NaturalArmor
          2 HITDIE:8 BONUS:STAT|STR|2 BONUS:STAT|WIS|2
          3 BONUS:STAT|STR|2 BONUS:STAT|CON|2 BONUS:COMBAT|AC|2|TYPE=NaturalArmor BONUS:SKILLPOOL|NUMBER|-max(1,2+INT) BONUS:FEAT|POOL|-1
          4 HITDIE:8 BONUS:STAT|STR|2 BONUS:STAT|DEX|2 BONUS:FEAT|POOL|1
          5 BONUS:STAT|STR|2 BONUS:STAT|CON|2 BONUS:COMBAT|AC|3|TYPE=NaturalArmor BONUS:MOVEADD|TYPE.Walk|10
          BONUS:SKILLPOOL|NUMBER|-max(1,2+INT)
          6 HITDIE:8 BONUS:WEAPONPROF=NatWeap|DAMAGESIZE|1 BONUS:STAT|STR|-8 BONUS:STAT|CON|-4 BONUS:FEAT|POOL|-1

          >I have a class I want to implement that doesn't gain a HD at every
          > level, but only at particular levels. Is there a way to do this? My
          > understanding of levels in PCGen is that they gain the stated HD every
          > level, so I doubt it's possible.
          >
          > Also, another class that does a similar thing has an ability related
          > to its HD, not to its level (so a level 7 thingie with 4 HD can do
          > cast as a level 4). Would there be a way to do this?
          >
          > Otherwise, is there a way to add some abilities half-way through a
          > level, or change the XP progression? IE, a way I could call my level 7
          > thingie with 4 HD a level 4, with 7 different abilities, with the XP
          > requirement of a level 7 elsewhere? (You have enough experience to get
          > the level 4.5 abilities now...)
          >
          > I can't see this working in PCgen, but I thought I'd ask.

        • oggmosh
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 13, 2006
            This is exactly what I was after, thanks Andriy!
            I've then added a variable which I increment each time I add a Hitdie,
            which I can then use in formulae to calculate base saves or natural
            armor progressions from the Hit Dice total rather than the level.

            The only thing I haven't worked out yet is how to change the levels at
            which attributes are given.