Conditionally adding ranks to a skill

  • Ken Coar
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 16, 2006
      How would I represent 'add 5 to each of skills A, B, and C -- but only
      those for which the character doesn't habve any ranks' ?

      Is there an equivalent to 'Type=Trained' for skill BONUS tags?
      Meaning 'ALL except untrained' ? Or 'Type=Untrained' for that matter?
      All I've found so far are Type=<ability-name> tags..
    • Paul W. King
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 16, 2006
        For the first, I'm not sure how to do it. You're talking actual ranks, yes? If so, then the bonus statement goes into an infinite
        loop (as I understand how PCGen activates the BONUS statements). If you don't have skill ranks, and then you get 5, you suddenly
        have skill ranks, so you lose the bonus, which triggers the bonus because you now don't have any, etc.

        I'm not sure if there's a test to see if a skill is a trained skill or not.

        Paul W. King
        PR SB, BoD

        How would I represent 'add 5 to each of skills A, B, and C -- but only those for which the character doesn't habve any ranks' ?

        Is there an equivalent to 'Type=Trained' for skill BONUS tags? Meaning 'ALL except untrained' ? Or 'Type=Untrained' for that
        matter? All I've found so far are Type=<ability-name> tags..
      • Edward Ballot
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 16, 2006
          --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Coar" <Ken@...> wrote:

          > How would I represent 'add 5 to each of skills A, B, and C -- but only
          > those for which the character doesn't habve any ranks' ?

          Try this. It should only add 5 is the skill is below 1 (using Spot as
          an example).
          BONUS:SKILL|Spot|5|!PRESKILL:1,Spot=1

          > Is there an equivalent to 'Type=Trained' for skill BONUS tags?
          > Meaning 'ALL except untrained' ? Or 'Type=Untrained' for that matter?
          > All I've found so far are Type=<ability-name> tags..

          You could .MOD all the skills in your own data set and add those
          types. Or, since those types seem useful, you could update the ogl
          datasets. (it's opensource so hopefully you can submit mods for
          acceptance by the monkeys.)
        • Eddy Anthony
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 16, 2006
            On 11/16/06 4:42 PM, "Ken Coar" <Ken@...> wrote:

            > How would I represent 'add 5 to each of skills A, B, and C -- but only
            > those for which the character doesn't habve any ranks' ?

            You need a bonus tag for each skill:

            BONUS:SKILL|MySkill|5|!PRESKILL:1,MySkill=1

            Note the ! Before the PRE, this means to inverse the prerequisite.

            > Is there an equivalent to 'Type=Trained' for skill BONUS tags?
            > Meaning 'ALL except untrained' ? Or 'Type=Untrained' for that matter?
            > All I've found so far are Type=<ability-name> tags..

            No, not that it can't be done, we just don't have those types on the skills.
            You could MOD them on fairly quickly for use in your own homebrew set.
            --
            ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)