LST files and 'use A instead of B for save bonus'

  • Ken Coar
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 16, 2006
      How does one code up something like 'you can add your Charisma
      modifier instead of Wisdom for Willpower saves'? My first thought was

      BONUS:CHECKS|Willpower|MAX(CHA,WIS)

      but since Will already incorporates the wisdom bonus be default (or
      definition),wouldn't this just add the charisma bonus (or the wisdom
      bonus, whichever was greater) to the existing wisdom bonus?

      How do I tell it 'use MAX(CHA,WIS) *instead* of whatever bonus you're
      currently adding' ?
    • Paul Grosse
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 16, 2006

        > How does one code up something like 'you can add your
        > Charisma modifier instead of Wisdom for Willpower saves'? My
        > first thought was
        >
        > BONUS:CHECKS|Willpower|MAX(CHA,WIS)
        >
        > but since Will already incorporates the wisdom bonus be
        > default (or definition),wouldn't this just add the charisma
        > bonus (or the wisdom bonus, whichever was greater) to the
        > existing wisdom bonus?
        >
        > How do I tell it 'use MAX(CHA,WIS) *instead* of whatever
        > bonus you're currently adding' ?

        BONUS:CHECKS|Willpower|-var"WIS"+max(CHA,WIS) I believe, I don't have my
        documentation on it handy but PCGen uses standard JEP formula's

        The -var"WIS" is there because the check automatically adds in the WIS
        score, this removes it and them adds in the higher of the two.

        Paul G.
      • Eddy Anthony
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 16, 2006
          On 11/16/06 4:06 PM, "Ken Coar" <Ken@...> wrote:

          > How does one code up something like 'you can add your Charisma
          > modifier instead of Wisdom for Willpower saves'? My first thought was
          >
          > BONUS:CHECKS|Willpower|MAX(CHA,WIS)
          >
          > but since Will already incorporates the wisdom bonus be default (or
          > definition),wouldn't this just add the charisma bonus (or the wisdom
          > bonus, whichever was greater) to the existing wisdom bonus?
          >
          > How do I tell it 'use MAX(CHA,WIS) *instead* of whatever bonus you're
          > currently adding' ?

          BONUS:CHECKS|Willpower|CHA-WIS
          --
          ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
        • Paul W. King
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 16, 2006
            Put a -WIS at the end of your bonus. And I believe that the jep function uses lower case; i.e., max(x,y) instead of MAX(x,y)...but
            I could be mistaken.

            Paul W. King
            PR SB, BoD

            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 16, 2006
              --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Eddy Anthony <eddyba@...> wrote:

              > BONUS:CHECKS|Willpower|CHA-WIS

              So I need know know the Wisdom score is 'built-in' to the base check
              calculation so I can explicitly remove it by name? I was hoping there
              was something more programmatic, but o well.

              Thanks!
            • Paul Grosse
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 16, 2006
                > > How does one code up something like 'you can add your Charisma
                > > modifier instead of Wisdom for Willpower saves'? My first
                > thought was
                > >
                > > BONUS:CHECKS|Willpower|MAX(CHA,WIS)
                > >
                > > but since Will already incorporates the wisdom bonus be default (or
                > > definition),wouldn't this just add the charisma bonus (or
                > the wisdom
                > > bonus, whichever was greater) to the existing wisdom bonus?
                > >
                > > How do I tell it 'use MAX(CHA,WIS) *instead* of whatever
                > bonus you're
                > > currently adding' ?
                >
                > BONUS:CHECKS|Willpower|CHA-WIS
                > --
                > ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                > ~ PCGen BoD, Data Content Second, Doc Chimp

                Silly Eddy, that only substitues CHA for WIS, he want's the higher of
                the two (like if he was affected by a spell that raised the other).

                Paul G.
              • Paul Grosse
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 16, 2006
                  > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Eddy Anthony
                  > <eddyba@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > BONUS:CHECKS|Willpower|CHA-WIS
                  >
                  > So I need know know the Wisdom score is 'built-in' to the
                  > base check calculation so I can explicitly remove it by name?
                  > I was hoping there was something more programmatic, but o well.
                  >
                  > Thanks!

                  You do, the base SRD/RSRD says that the Willpower check is comprised of
                  Wisdom and the base check as defined by the class.

                  Paul G.
                • Eddy Anthony
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 16, 2006
                    On 11/16/06 5:05 PM, "Paul Grosse" <paul.grosse@...> wrote:

                    >>> How does one code up something like 'you can add your Charisma
                    >>> modifier instead of Wisdom for Willpower saves'? My first
                    >> thought was
                    >>>
                    >>> BONUS:CHECKS|Willpower|MAX(CHA,WIS)
                    >>>
                    >>> but since Will already incorporates the wisdom bonus be default (or
                    >>> definition),wouldn't this just add the charisma bonus (or
                    >> the wisdom
                    >>> bonus, whichever was greater) to the existing wisdom bonus?
                    >>>
                    >>> How do I tell it 'use MAX(CHA,WIS) *instead* of whatever
                    >> bonus you're
                    >>> currently adding' ?
                    >>
                    >> BONUS:CHECKS|Willpower|CHA-WIS
                    >> --
                    >> ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                    >> ~ PCGen BoD, Data Content Second, Doc Chimp
                    >>

                    > Silly Eddy, that only substitues CHA for WIS, he want's the higher of
                    > the two (like if he was affected by a spell that raised the other).

                    Yes, well then:

                    BONUS:CHECKS|Willpower|max(CHA,WIS)-WIS

                    :-p
                    --
                    ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                  • Truth
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 16, 2006
                      On 11/17/06, Paul Grosse <paul.grosse@...> wrote:
                      > > > How does one code up something like 'you can add your Charisma
                      > > > modifier instead of Wisdom for Willpower saves'? My first
                      > > thought was
                      > > >
                      > > > BONUS:CHECKS|Willpower|MAX(CHA,WIS)
                      > > >
                      > > > but since Will already incorporates the wisdom bonus be default (or
                      > > > definition),wouldn't this just add the charisma bonus (or
                      > > the wisdom
                      > > > bonus, whichever was greater) to the existing wisdom bonus?
                      > > >
                      > > > How do I tell it 'use MAX(CHA,WIS) *instead* of whatever
                      > > bonus you're
                      > > > currently adding' ?
                      > >
                      > > BONUS:CHECKS|Willpower|CHA-WIS
                      >
                      > Silly Eddy, that only substitues CHA for WIS, he want's the higher of
                      > the two (like if he was affected by a spell that raised the other).

                      How about:

                      BONUS:CHECKS|Willpower|MAX(CHA,WIS)-WIS

                      --
                      Truth.
                      There is no religion higher than the Truth.
                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 16, 2006
                        > BONUS:CHECKS|Willpower|MAX(CHA,WIS)-WIS

                        As someone else mentioned, JEP function calls need to be lowercase.

                        max(CHA,WIS)-WIS

                      • Eddy Anthony
                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 16, 2006
                          Paul Grosse scribed:

                          > BONUS:CHECKS|Willpower|-var"WIS"+max(CHA,WIS) I believe, I don't have my
                          > documentation on it handy but PCGen uses standard JEP formula's
                          >
                          > The -var"WIS" is there because the check automatically adds in the WIS
                          > score, this removes it and them adds in the higher of the two.

                          Silly Paul G, that syntax won't work at all.

                          The var function would look like: var("WIS"). If you needed it, which you
                          don't. WIS uses all valid characters, the only time you need to enclose a
                          variable in a var() function is when it uses characters which are not valid
                          in a standard JEP variable such as ( or ) or | or =, which are commonly
                          found in tokens which we sometimes use as variables. :-)
                          --
                          ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 16, 2006
                            > BONUS:CHECKS|Willpower|-var"WIS"+max(CHA,WIS) I believe, I don't have my
                            > documentation on it handy but PCGen uses standard JEP formula's
                            >
                            > The -var"WIS" is there because the check automatically adds in the WIS
                            > score, this removes it and them adds in the higher of the two.

                            Jep functions use () as part of the syntax. var Jep function var is
                            done var("<varname>"), so var("WIS") if you want to use that (not sure
                            why you'd need it here.....

                          • Jeff Hoover
                            Message 13 of 16 , May 25, 2009
                              --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Tir Gwaith" <Tir.Gwaith@...> wrote:

                              > > BONUS:CHECKS|Willpower|MAX(CHA,WIS)-WIS
                              >
                              > As someone else mentioned, JEP function calls need to be lowercase.
                              >
                              > max(CHA,WIS)-WIS
                              >
                              > --
                              > Tir Gwaith
                              > PCGen LST Chimp

                              The document uses it as an example with an extra pipe.

                              BONUS:CHECKS|Willpower||max(CHA,WIS)-WIS

                              But it doesn't seem to work either way with 5.16
                            • Barak
                              Message 14 of 16 , May 26, 2009
                                > The document uses it as an example with an extra pipe.
                                >
                                > BONUS:CHECKS|Willpower||max(CHA,WIS)-WIS
                                >
                                > But it doesn't seem to work either way with 5.16

                                BONUS:CHECKS|Will|max(CHA,WIS)-WIS

                                It's Will, not Willpower.

                                Barak
                              • Jeff Hoover
                                Message 15 of 16 , May 26, 2009
                                  --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Barak" <barak@...> wrote:

> [...]

                                  Ah. And the double pipe is a typo too, right? Thanks!

                                  I'll check the doc bug list in a minute and see if it's listed (I didn't find it when I was looking, but I wasn't looking for a Doc bug.)
                                  Message 16 of 16 , May 26, 2009
                                    Where in the docs so I can open a tracker?

                                    The double pipes are a typo

                                    The Save changed names from Willpower to Will a few releases back,
                                    unfortunately it looks like one or two old styles are still left in the
                                    docs. But thanks for finding it.

                                    -Andrew