Bonus languages per region

  • dirkbock
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 16, 2006
      Hi folks,

      after a more than one year PCGen-hiatus, recent developments brought
      me back to this group(s). I may be switching from CMPed eTools back to
      PCGen, if I get the LSTs right for my needs.

      I want to use the well-known campaign setting written by a canadian
      librarian, which involves a lot of new languages, sub-races, and
      regions with different automatic and bonus languages, and special
      equipment packs.

      I've done the languages, modified the races file to force a selection
      of the region and defined a kit file to give the combination of RACE
      and REGION the correct LANGAUTO. But what about LANGBONUS?

      I've set up hidden feats file, defined a feat for a region and
      assigned this feat in the STARTPACK, but the list of bonus languages
      remains empty.

      Even better would be to get rid of the kits: choose your region when
      selecting the race and everything is okay.

      Any ideas or hints?

      ---Dirk

      P.s.: I'm jotting down notes and intend to document the procedure for
      the whole setup. This document will be made publicly available (of
      course without copyrighted information), so any help you grant me
      should be made available to legions of users. ;-)
    • boomer70
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 16, 2006
        --- dirkbock <dirkbock@...> wrote:

        > Hi folks,
        >
        > after a more than one year PCGen-hiatus, recent
        > developments brought
        > me back to this group(s). I may be switching from
        > CMPed eTools back to
        > PCGen, if I get the LSTs right for my needs.
        >
        > I want to use the well-known campaign setting
        > written by a canadian
        > librarian, which involves a lot of new languages,
        > sub-races, and
        > regions with different automatic and bonus
        > languages, and special
        > equipment packs.

        Hmm no idea what so ever what you could be talking
        about :)

        > I've done the languages, modified the races file to
        > force a selection
        > of the region and defined a kit file to give the
        > combination of RACE
        > and REGION the correct LANGAUTO. But what about
        > LANGBONUS?

        Unfortunately LANGBONUS is not a global tag. It can
        only be used in Class, Race, or Template files. This
        means you are pretty much forced to use a Template to
        do this.

        > I've set up hidden feats file, defined a feat for a
        > region and
        > assigned this feat in the STARTPACK, but the list of
        > bonus languages
        > remains empty.

        This won't work. See above for one of many reasons.

        > Even better would be to get rid of the kits: choose
        > your region when
        > selecting the race and everything is okay.
        >
        > Any ideas or hints?

        In your race lines add TEMPLATE:CHOOSE:Regional
        Template 1|Regional Template 2|etc.

        Define the Reginal Templates however you need
        including LANGBONUS.

        -Aaron

        ----------------
        Aaron Divinsky

        Sponsored Link

        Compare mortgage rates for today.
        Get up to 5 free quotes.
        Www2.nextag.com
      • dirkbock
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 19, 2006
          Aaron,

          thanks for your help; it works now as intended.

          Now, if I could only call a STARTPACK from the template, I could code
          the bonus equipment as well. But writing gazillions of kits to
          generate a miles-long list is hardly worth it.

          Thanks again!

          ---Dirk Bock

          --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, boomer70 <boomer70@...> wrote:

          > --- dirkbock <dirkbock@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Hi folks,
          > >
          > > after a more than one year PCGen-hiatus, recent
          > > developments brought
          > > me back to this group(s). I may be switching from
          > > CMPed eTools back to
          > > PCGen, if I get the LSTs right for my needs.
          > >
          > > I want to use the well-known campaign setting
          > > written by a canadian
          > > librarian, which involves a lot of new languages,
          > > sub-races, and
          > > regions with different automatic and bonus
          > > languages, and special
          > > equipment packs.
          > >

          > Hmm no idea what so ever what you could be talking
          > about :)
          >
          > > I've done the languages, modified the races file to
          > > force a selection
          > > of the region and defined a kit file to give the
          > > combination of RACE
          > > and REGION the correct LANGAUTO. But what about
          > > LANGBONUS?
          >
          > Unfortunately LANGBONUS is not a global tag. It can
          > only be used in Class, Race, or Template files. This
          > means you are pretty much forced to use a Template to
          > do this.
          >

          > > I've set up hidden feats file, defined a feat for a
          > > region and
          > > assigned this feat in the STARTPACK, but the list of
          > > bonus languages
          > > remains empty.
          >
          > This won't work. See above for one of many reasons.
          >

          > > Even better would be to get rid of the kits: choose
          > > your region when
          > > selecting the race and everything is okay.
          > >
          > > Any ideas or hints?
          > >

          > In your race lines add TEMPLATE:CHOOSE:Regional
          > Template 1|Regional Template 2|etc.
          >
          > Define the Reginal Templates however you need
          > including LANGBONUS.
          >
          > -Aaron
          >

          > ----------------
          > Aaron Divinsky
          > PCGen Docs 2nd, Data Chimp, Code Gibbon, Doc Tamarin

          > Sponsored Link
          >
          > Compare mortgage rates for today.
          > Get up to 5 free quotes.
          > Www2.nextag.com

        • boomer70
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 19, 2006
            --- dirkbock <dirkbock@...> wrote:

            > Aaron,
            >
            > thanks for your help; it works now as intended.
            >
            > Now, if I could only call a STARTPACK from the
            > template, I could code
            > the bonus equipment as well. But writing gazillions
            > of kits to
            > generate a miles-long list is hardly worth it.
            >
            > Thanks again!
            >
            > ---Dirk Bock

            You can. In the template use KIT:1|<name of kit>

            -Aaron

            Aaron Divinsky

            The all-new Yahoo! Mail beta
            Fire up a more powerful email and get things done faster.
            http://new.mail.yahoo.com