Clerics and Pantheons

  • Phillip Ryan
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 2, 2006
      I am trying to create some specialized Cleric and Druid classes. How
      can I specify the cleric's pantheon? In other words, if you select the
      White Mountain Cleric your deity MUST come from the White Mountain
      pantheon.
    • Paul Grosse
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 2, 2006
        Have a variable on the White Mountain Cleric like

        DEFINE:WhiteMountainPantheon|0
        BONUS:VAR|WhiteMountainPantheon|1

        Then on the deity's that are part of that pantheon have a
        PREVAR:WhiteMountainPantheon|1

        And the rest of the deities have something similar except for their
        cleric types.

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 2, 2006
          Doesn't PREDEITY have a PANTHEON.<name> function? If not, it should
          (because that means the PANTHEON tag doesn't really _do_ anything.)

          PREDEITY:PANTHEON.White Mountain

          And the deities.lst:
          PANTHEON:White Mountain

        • Phillip Ryan
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 2, 2006
            <Tir.Gwaith@...> wrote:

            > Doesn't PREDEITY have a PANTHEON.<name> function? If not, it should
            > (because that means the PANTHEON tag doesn't really _do_ anything.)
            >
            > PREDEITY:PANTHEON.White Mountain
            >
            > And the deities.lst:
            > PANTHEON:White Mountain
            >
            > --
            > Tir Gwaith
            > PCGen LST Chimp

            Thank you for the suggestion. The docs do not mention the possibility
            of a PREDEITY:PANTHEON.<name> function.
            I tried it and it creates the prerequisite that deity=null from the
            named pantheon. So, selecting any deity from the pantheon fails the
            condition because the deity is not null.
            Also PREDEITY: forces the selection of a deity before the Class can be
            selected.
            What I was hoping for was a way of restricting the deity selection to
            the specified pantheon. With the selection of the class specifying the
            pantheon.
          • Phillip Ryan
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 2, 2006
              --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Grosse"
              <paul.grosse@...> wrote:

              > Have a variable on the White Mountain Cleric like
              >
              > DEFINE:WhiteMountainPantheon|0
              > BONUS:VAR|WhiteMountainPantheon|1
              >
              > Then on the deity's that are part of that pantheon have a
              > PREVAR:WhiteMountainPantheon|1
              >
              > And the rest of the deities have something similar except for their
              > cleric types.

              Paul, that may be the way I will have to go. However, adding the
              PREVAR:xxxPantheon|1 to each deity's entry means editing the deity.lst
              files for every dataset. Which means needing to redo it every time the
              dataset is updated. I was hoping for a more general and less labor
              intensive solution. But, that maybe what I will need to do.
              Thank you for the suggestion. I will try it.
            • barak@hughes.net
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 2, 2006
                Just create your own file that uses .MOD to modify the deities and load
                it at the same time as the rest of your data.

                That way when there are updates your changes don't get overwritten.

                Barak

                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 2, 2006
                  --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "barak@..." <barak@...> wrote:

                  > Just create your own file that uses .MOD to modify the deities and load
                  > it at the same time as the rest of your data.
                  >
                  > That way when there are updates your changes don't get overwritten.
                  >
                  > Barak

                  Now that's cool. I'll look into doing that.
                  Thanks.
                • Phillip Ryan
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 4, 2006
                    --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Phillip Ryan" <pryan7@...>
                    wrote:

                    > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "barak@" <barak@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Just create your own file that uses .MOD to modify the deities and
                    load
                    > > it at the same time as the rest of your data.
                    > >
                    > > That way when there are updates your changes don't get overwritten.
                    > >
                    > > Barak

                    Many thanks to Paul and Barak. Your PREVAR and .MOD suggestions worked
                    perfectly. I learned a lot in the process. My clerics and druids are
                    happy and so am I.

                    Phil

                    Reality is what refuses to go away when I turn off the computer. ;)