Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] Re: Changing a skill from use trained to untrained

  • Craig Bogun
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 11, 2006
      In what file would I put that? Wouldn't that just MOD the skill at lst load
      time?

      On 12/10/06, Paul Grosse <paul.grosse@...> wrote:

      > Umm how about this, not totally sure if that will work but it might.?
      >
      > MySkill.MOD<tab>USEUNTRAINED:YES|PREFEAT:1,MyFeat
      >
      > In the feat.lst file
      > MyFeat<tab>TYPE:Special<tab>CSKILL:MySkill

      Craig Bogun

    • Craig Bogun
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 11, 2006
        I am using version 5.10.1 and doing everything you suggest still doesn't
        work, interesting though it does work in 3.5e game mode, I think we have a
        bit of a bug that doesn't parse EXCLUSIVE tag for the modern game mode
        skills. I am assume that it is meant to work in all the modes of use, is
        this true?

        On 12/10/06, ed ballot <eballot@...> wrote:

        > Curious that it worked as desired for me (before taking MyFeat, trying
        > add points to Myskill causes pcgen to display a not allowed dialog). What
        > version of PCGen are you using?
        >
        > Some random suggestions:
        > Make sure you unload all sources, refresh, and load them. Then test with a
        > newly created character.
        >
        > Make sure you haven't added MySkill anywhere else, such as the
        > class.lstfile.
        >
        > On 10/11/06, Craig Bogun <craig.bogun@... <craig.bogun%40gmail.com>>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Tried that exact code (with tabs in place of <tab> of course) and it
        > > still
        > > lets me add it as a cross class skill if I don't have the feat.
        > >
        > > On 12/10/06, ed ballot <eballot@... <eballot%40gmail.com><eballot%40gmail.com>> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > It works for me in v5.10.1. Here's an quick example that I just cooked
        > > > up
        > > > that keeps the skill MySkill exclusive until the feat MyFeat is taken
        > > >
        > > > In the skill.lst file
        > > >
        > > > In the feat.lst file
        > > > MyFeat<tab>TYPE:Special<tab>CSKILL:MySkill
        > > >
        > > > Caveat: no classes can have MySkill in their skill list since that
        > > defeats
        > > > the purpose of EXCLUSIVE.

        Craig Bogun

      • ed ballot
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 11, 2006
          Ahh. Sorry for being dense. There are some game mode files in
          pcgen\system\gameModes that might be overriding the Exclude setting for
          modern. I didn't see anything obvious, though, so I'd also guess bug.

          Ed

          On 10/11/06, Craig Bogun <craig.bogun@...> wrote:

          > I am using version 5.10.1 and doing everything you suggest still doesn't
          > work, interesting though it does work in 3.5e game mode, I think we have a
          > bit of a bug that doesn't parse EXCLUSIVE tag for the modern game mode
          > skills. I am assume that it is meant to work in all the modes of use, is
          > this true?
          >
          > On 12/10/06, ed ballot <eballot@... <eballot%40gmail.com>> wrote:
          > >
          > > Curious that it worked as desired for me (before taking MyFeat, trying
          > > add points to Myskill causes pcgen to display a not allowed dialog).
          > What
          > > version of PCGen are you using?
          > >
          > > Some random suggestions:
          > > Make sure you unload all sources, refresh, and load them. Then test with
          > > newly created character.
          > >
          > > Make sure you haven't added MySkill anywhere else, such as the
          > > class.lstfile.
          > >
          > > On 10/11/06, Craig Bogun <craig.bogun@...<craig.bogun%40gmail.com><
          > craig.bogun%40gmail.com>>
          > > wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Tried that exact code (with tabs in place of <tab> of course) and it
          > > > still
          > > > lets me add it as a cross class skill if I don't have the feat.

          > cooked
          > taken

          > > > defeats

          > Craig Bogun

        • Craig Bogun
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 11, 2006
            Not dense at all, if it works in one mode you would expect it to work in
            all. Thanks for you help, the EXCLUSIVE tag is exactly what I want and I
            had tried it but when it didn't work I came looking for assistance, I should
            have said what I had tried at the start.

            Got us both there the little blighter.

            Craig

            Craig Bogun

          • Paul Grosse
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 12, 2006
              Yes it will modify the previously existing skill to be
              Usableuntrained:No by any character that doesn't have MyFeat, once a
              character takes MyFeat the skill will be marked as untrained and make it
              a class skill so that you can at ranks at 1:1.

              You would create a custom mod set for your campaign read the docs in the
              doc folder and use the sample set included in the data folder as a base
              for your set (if using 5.11).