biosettings

  • Paul W. King
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 4, 2006
      How would you work a race that has the reverse of the standard age stat
      adjustments? All races, save one, in a book I'm working on have the physical
      abilities decrease and mental abilities increase as they age. One race does
      the reverse.

      Paul W. King
      PR SB, BoD

    • Eddy Anthony
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 4, 2006
        Paul W. King scribed:

        > How would you work a race that has the reverse of the standard age stat
        > adjustments? All races, save one, in a book I'm working on have the physical
        > abilities decrease and mental abilities increase as they age. One race does
        > the reverse.

        Not sure I understand the nature of the question. You're creating a
        biosettings file for these races right? Why can't you just put in the
        negative bonuses for that race?
        --
        ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
      • Paul W. King
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 5, 2006
          > You're creating a biosettings file for these races right?

          Correct

          > Why can't you just put in the negative bonuses for that race?

          Because the age group names stay the same, and they already have the
          minuses on the physical stats and the plusses on the mental stats.

          Unless I'm really missing how the age lines work and that you can have
          multiple lines with the same age class name.

          Paul W. King
          PR SB, BoD
        • Paul Grosse
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 5, 2006
            > > You're creating a biosettings file for these races right?
            >
            > Correct
            >
            > > Why can't you just put in the negative bonuses for that race?
            >
            > Because the age group names stay the same, and they already
            > have the minuses on the physical stats and the plusses on the
            > mental stats.
            >
            > Unless I'm really missing how the age lines work and that you
            > can have multiple lines with the same age class name.
            >
            > Paul W. King
            > PR SB, BoD

            Put the negatives and bonus's on the race line not in the Biosettings.

            Paul G.
          • Eddy Anthony
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 5, 2006
              On 9/5/06 11:25 AM, "Paul W. King" <paulking.rhochi@...> wrote:

              >> Why can't you just put in the negative bonuses for that race?
              >
              > Because the age group names stay the same, and they already have the
              > minuses on the physical stats and the plusses on the mental stats.
              >
              > Unless I'm really missing how the age lines work and that you can have
              > multiple lines with the same age class name.

              Still not following you, what do you mean by "the age group names stay the
              same"? When you say age group are you referring to AGESET?

              Might be easier if you share the relevant text of the problem race.
              --
              ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
            • Paul W. King
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 5, 2006
                > When you say age group are you referring to AGESET?

                Yes. For example, all races, except ProblemRace, would follow

                AGESET:1|Middle Age
                BONUS:STAT|STR,CON,DEX|-1
                BONUS:STAT|INT,WIS,CHA|1

                AGESET:2|Old
                BONUS:STAT|STR,CON,DEX|-3
                BONUS:STAT|INT,WIS,CHA|2

                AGESET:3|Venerable
                BONUS:STAT|STR,CON,DEX|-6
                BONUS:STAT|INT,WIS,CHA|3

                ProblemRace would follow

                AGESET:1|Middle Age
                BONUS:STAT|INT,WIS,CHA|-1
                BONUS:STAT|STR,CON,DEX|1

                AGESET:2|Old
                BONUS:STAT|INT,WIS,CHA|-3
                BONUS:STAT|STR,CON,DEX|2

                AGESET:3|Venerable
                BONUS:STAT|INT,WIS,CHA|-6
                BONUS:STAT|STR,CON,DEX|3

                Does that now make more sense?
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 5, 2006
                  Paul,

                  Add a BONUS:STAT|STR,CON,DEX|1|PRERACE:MySingleRace to the AGESET line.

                • Eddy Anthony
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 5, 2006
                    On 9/5/06 12:16 PM, "Paul W. King" <paulking.rhochi@...> wrote:

                    >> When you say age group are you referring to AGESET?
                    >
                    > Yes. For example, all races, except ProblemRace, would follow
                    >
                    > AGESET:1|Middle Age
                    > BONUS:STAT|STR,CON,DEX|-1
                    > BONUS:STAT|INT,WIS,CHA|1
                    >
                    > AGESET:2|Old
                    > BONUS:STAT|STR,CON,DEX|-3
                    > BONUS:STAT|INT,WIS,CHA|2
                    >
                    > AGESET:3|Venerable
                    > BONUS:STAT|STR,CON,DEX|-6
                    > BONUS:STAT|INT,WIS,CHA|3
                    >

                    > ProblemRace would follow
                    >
                    > AGESET:1|Middle Age
                    > BONUS:STAT|INT,WIS,CHA|-1
                    > BONUS:STAT|STR,CON,DEX|1
                    >
                    > AGESET:2|Old
                    > BONUS:STAT|INT,WIS,CHA|-3
                    > BONUS:STAT|STR,CON,DEX|2
                    >
                    > AGESET:3|Venerable
                    > BONUS:STAT|INT,WIS,CHA|-6
                    > BONUS:STAT|STR,CON,DEX|3
                    >

                    > Does that now make more sense?

                    Oh now I see your problem, I took a look at the file and just noticed that
                    the stat bonuses were on the AGESET line, I somehow thought those were set
                    on each race individually.

                    Here is my first thought: have you tried to see if you can put a BONUS tag
                    on a RACENAME line? If you can you can simply put a counter bonus for the
                    stats on that race no problem.

                    If that does not work (and I suspect it probably won't) then I'm not sure
                    what you can do. Tir and I were discussing something related a while back to
                    get the Monks Timesless Body (or some such feature), we came up with a
                    PREAGESET tag so that we could counter the aging penalties.

                    That's trackered here:
                    [ 1275919 ] PREAGESET tag
                    <https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=1275919&group_id=25576&ati
                    d=384722>

                    Other than that I think you are SOL.

                    OK I thought of a hack you can try, we don't have a PREAGESET yet but since
                    this is specific to one race and you know the exact age that race kicks into
                    a new AGESET you can use the AGE token as a variable and set counter bonuses
                    with a PREVAR. For example if the race gets old at age 45 use this:

                    BONUS:STAT|STR,CON,DEX|6|PREVARGTEQ:AGE,45
                    BONUS:STAT|INT,WIS,CHA|-2|PREVARGTEQ:AGE,45

                    BONUS:STAT|INT,WIS,CHA|-3|PREVARGTEQ:AGE,45
                    BONUS:STAT|STR,CON,DEX|2|PREVARGTEQ:AGE,45

                    The first 2 counter the standard bonuses and the second 2 are specific to
                    the race. You will probably need to do a PREMULT because the bonuses will
                    need to be shut down when not in the AGESET, if the race is Venerable at age
                    65 that will require this:

                    BONUS:STAT|STR,CON,DEX|6|PREMULT:2,[PREVARGTEQ:AGE,45],[PREVARLT:AGE,65]

                    You'll need a bunch of bonuses, you might put them in a template and just
                    add that to the race. Let me know if it works.
                    --
                    ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                  • Paul W. King
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 5, 2006
                      > BONUS:STAT|STR,CON,DEX|6|PREVARGTEQ:AGE,45
                      > BONUS:STAT|INT,WIS,CHA|-2|PREVARGTEQ:AGE,45
                      >
                      > BONUS:STAT|INT,WIS,CHA|-3|PREVARGTEQ:AGE,45
                      > BONUS:STAT|STR,CON,DEX|2|PREVARGTEQ:AGE,45

                      How would this work around feats and the like that increase AGESETS? Of
                      course, this may not be implemented yet, as I don't normally play with
                      this stuff.

                      Paul W. King
                      PR SB, BoD
                    • Eddy Anthony
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 5, 2006
                        On 9/5/06 2:02 PM, "Paul W. King" <paulking.rhochi@...> wrote:

                        >> BONUS:STAT|STR,CON,DEX|6|PREVARGTEQ:AGE,45
                        >> BONUS:STAT|INT,WIS,CHA|-2|PREVARGTEQ:AGE,45
                        >>
                        >> BONUS:STAT|INT,WIS,CHA|-3|PREVARGTEQ:AGE,45
                        >> BONUS:STAT|STR,CON,DEX|2|PREVARGTEQ:AGE,45
                        >
                        > How would this work around feats and the like that increase AGESETS? Of
                        > course, this may not be implemented yet, as I don't normally play with
                        > this stuff.

                        It doesn't, nothing like that is implemented anyway.

                        And try Tir's suggestion first, it's better.
                        --
                        ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                      • Paul W. King
                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 5, 2006
                          >>> BONUS:STAT|STR,CON,DEX|6|PREVARGTEQ:AGE,45
                          >>> BONUS:STAT|INT,WIS,CHA|-2|PREVARGTEQ:AGE,45
                          >>>
                          >>> BONUS:STAT|INT,WIS,CHA|-3|PREVARGTEQ:AGE,45
                          >>> BONUS:STAT|STR,CON,DEX|2|PREVARGTEQ:AGE,45
                          >>
                          >> How would this work around feats and the like that increase
                          >> AGESETS? Of course, this may not be implemented yet, as I don't
                          >> normally play with this stuff.
                          >
                          > It doesn't, nothing like that is implemented anyway.

                          But it will. :)

                          [ 1552891 ] [Epic] [biosettings] Extend Life Span
                          https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?
                          func=detail&aid=1552891&group_id=25576&atid=384722

                          > And try Tir's suggestion first, it's better.

                          Will do.

                          Paul W. King
                          PR SB, BoD