Having problems with VFEAT

  • Jay
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 30 12:12 PM
      I'm trying to implement the following mechanic for a weapon one of my
      characters uses:

      "If you have proficiency
      with weapon FOO, you can treat it as weapon BAR for purposes of Weapon
      Focus, Greater Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization, Greater Weapon
      Specialization, and Improved Critical."

      My first thought was to try something like:

      VFEAT:Weapon Focus (FOO)|PREFEAT:2,Exotic Weapon Proficiency
      (FOO),Weapon Focus (BAR)

      But I'm having no success, and the documentation is less-then-helpful.

      * Is VFEAT truly a global tag? I tried to attach my example to
      weapon FOO itself, since it only really applies when you're using FOO,
      but it doesn't seem to work. Next, I tried attaching it to a template,
      but applying the template doesn't seem to work either.
      * What is the format for specifying feats with choices for VFEAT and
      PREFEAT? Would it be "Weapon Focus (FOO)" or "Weapon Focus(FOO)"? The
      documentation does not specify, and I can find multiple instances of
      each usage in both the CMP and SRD files.
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 31 7:14 AM
        On 8/30/06, Jay <jelmore49@...> wrote:
        > I'm trying to implement the following mechanic for a weapon one of my
        > characters uses:
        >
        > "If you have proficiency
        > with weapon FOO, you can treat it as weapon BAR for purposes of Weapon
        > Focus, Greater Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization, Greater Weapon
        > Specialization, and Improved Critical."
        >
        > My first thought was to try something like:
        >
        > VFEAT:Weapon Focus (FOO)|PREFEAT:2,Exotic Weapon Proficiency
        > (FOO),Weapon Focus (BAR)
        >
        > But I'm having no success, and the documentation is less-then-helpful.
        >
        > * Is VFEAT truly a global tag? I tried to attach my example to
        > weapon FOO itself, since it only really applies when you're using FOO,
        > but it doesn't seem to work. Next, I tried attaching it to a template,
        > but applying the template doesn't seem to work either.
        > * What is the format for specifying feats with choices for VFEAT and
        > PREFEAT? Would it be "Weapon Focus (FOO)" or "Weapon Focus(FOO)"? The

        Should be "Weapon Focus(Foo)". I don't recall any instances in the
        SRD files that uses the other format (and they'll be broken if they
        are).

        > documentation does not specify, and I can find multiple instances of
        > each usage in both the CMP and SRD files.

        Depends on if it has a CHOOSE or not. Armor Proficiency (xxx) is a
        set of feats, none with a CHOOSE, so those have the space. Weapon
        Focus(yyy) is a single feat with a CHOOSE, so it can't have the space.

      • Jay
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 31 1:17 PM
          <Tir.Gwaith@...> wrote:
          > On 8/30/06, Jay <jelmore49@...> wrote:
          > > * What is the format for specifying feats with choices for VFEAT and
          > > PREFEAT? Would it be "Weapon Focus (FOO)" or "Weapon Focus(FOO)"?
          > Should be "Weapon Focus(Foo)". I don't recall any instances in the
          > SRD files that uses the other format (and they'll be broken if they
          > are).

          Here's what my search turned up in the 5.10.1 srd35 files:

          * Weapon Focus (Longbow) and Weapon Focus (Shortbow); line 10 of
          classes_prestige
          * Weapon Focus (Longsword); line 62 of kits_races__base
          * Epic Weapon Focus (Longbow) and Epic Weapon Focus (Shortbow); line 7
          of classes_prestige_epic
          * Epic Weapon Focus (Rapier); line 37 of classes_prestige_epic
          * Weapon Focus (Rapier); line 384 of kits_races_e_f
          * Weapon Focus (Bite), Weapon Focus (Sword (Bastard)) and Weapon Focus
          (Bite); lines 241, 274 and 293 of kits_races_k_l
          * Weapon Focus (Claw); line 27 of kits_races_k_l_extras
          * Weapon Focus (Slam); line 20 of kits_races_m_n_extras
          * Weapon Focus (Rapier); line 206 of kits_races_o_p
          * Weapon Focus (Greatclub); line 13 of kits_races_o_p_extras
          * Weapon Focus (Mind Blade) and Greater Weapon Focus (Mind Blade);
          lines 137 and 139 of classes_psionic
          * Weapon Focus (Ray); lines 45 and 57 of feats_psionic
          * Weapon Focus (Longsword), Weapon Focus (Warhammer), Weapon Focus
          (Greatsword) and Weapon Focus (Longsword); lines 12, 31, 45 and 58 of
          kits_psionic_races_base

          > > documentation does not specify, and I can find multiple instances of
          > > each usage in both the CMP and SRD files.
          >
          > Depends on if it has a CHOOSE or not. Armor Proficiency (xxx) is a
          > set of feats, none with a CHOOSE, so those have the space. Weapon
          > Focus(yyy) is a single feat with a CHOOSE, so it can't have the space.

          This should be added to the feat documentation; there is a reference
          to not using parentheses for feat names, but nothing about the
          necessity of the space between the feat name and its parenthetical
          component.
        • Jay
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 31 2:23 PM
            As it turned out, it was a case of incorrect assumptions.

            I had a regular weapon and my modified one both added to a PC as
            Carried, so I could compare the two.

            When I added my modified weapon in its Primary Hand, the VFEAT
            statements kicked in.

            Still, the information on VFEAT and feats with CHOOSE statements is
            useful.
          • Terry FitzSimons
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 31 4:08 PM
              Trackered:

              [ 1550170 ] Clarify VFEAT useage

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 1, 2006
                On 8/31/06, Jay <jelmore49@...> wrote:
                > As it turned out, it was a case of incorrect assumptions.
                >
                > I had a regular weapon and my modified one both added to a PC as
                > Carried, so I could compare the two.
                >
                > When I added my modified weapon in its Primary Hand, the VFEAT
                > statements kicked in.

                yeah, VFEATs on equipment don't apply unless Equipped. Otherwise you
                couldn't carry more than 2 magic rings and have everything come out
                correctly.