Setting one skill as the same as another

  • Darin McBride
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 29, 2006
      Note: PCGen 5.8.1 (since I'm using CMP's datasets)

      I have my own "dataset" that I've been building up with things like
      house-ruled prestige classes, magic items, spells from books that CMP hasn't
      published yet, etc.

      In it, I would like to specify that having "Perform (String Instruments)" will
      meet the pre-reqs for certain magic items that require at least n ranks
      in "Perform (specific instrument)" - e.g., Harp. Since there is no Perform
      (Harp) skill available to choose, I expect that this really should be
      considered a string instrument. However, CMP has replied that they can't
      make that change due to their license with WotC. Fine. But seeing as I
      don't have any such license (in fact, my license is being able to house rule
      anything I want, according to the DM section of the DMG), I'd like to find a
      way to override it that does not actually mean changing the CMP datasets -
      that way I don't need to re-fix this every time I grab a new version of their
      sets with other fixes.

      I have a solution that kinda works - but fouls up the preview panel a bit. So
      I'd like to ask what solution this group would recommend. What I've tried
      is:

      Perform (String Instruments).MOD <tab>
      BONUS:SKILLRANK|Perform (Harp)|SKILLRANK=Perform {String Instruments}

      However, in the preview tab, this gets screwy. I'm seeing:

      Perform CHA 18 = 4 + 11.0 + 2
      (Harp)

      The final number is right, but the numbers don't add up. The next one is the
      same idea for Lute - I get the right total (18), but this time it's 5 + 11.0
      + 0 (closer - the CHA bonus is 5). After that, it goes downhill: Lyre has
      the right total, but ability and misc modifiers are blank. In fact, the rest
      of the skills from this point on have blanks for ability and misc modifiers.

      I'm hoping that by doing something a bit different in my "mine_skill.lst" file
      that I can get this to appear properly.

      Partly, I'm doing this so that I can look at the ability and misc modifiers of
      some skills after the Perform series at a glance. And partly because I think
      that I'm doing this backwards ;-)

      Thanks,
    • Terry FitzSimons
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 30, 2006
        The simple way is the best.

        Go into the files find the (filename).pcc and the (filename)_skill.pcc.

        For this example srd.pcc and srd_skills.lst out of your data\srd folder.
        I would not recommend changing the CMP files (snicker, I know).

        Drop them in your custom datafiles (your custom directory, not the one that
        comes with PcGen) and add your initials to them. Open the .pcc and change
        the RANK:1 to either RANK:8 or 9 to denote they are homebrews. Remove all
        of the other files, but the skill file and change it to include your
        initials. Change the rest of the tags as needed.

        Open the skills file and remove all the skills but the:

        Perform<tab>
        KEYSTAT:CHA<tab>
        TYPE:Charisma<tab>
        SOURCEPAGE:srdskillsii.rtf

        Change to

        Perform (Instrument)<tab>
        KEYSTAT:CHA<tab>
        TYPE:Charisma<tab>
        SOURCEPAGE:McBrideHomebrew.rtf

        Copy as needed.

        Terry

        On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 10:04:04 -0600, Darin McBride <dmcbride@...>
        wrote:

        >Note: PCGen 5.8.1 (since I'm using CMP's datasets)
        >
        >I have my own "dataset" that I've been building up with things like
        >house-ruled prestige classes, magic items, spells from books that CMP hasn't
        >published yet, etc.
        >
        >In it, I would like to specify that having "Perform (String Instruments)" will
        >meet the pre-reqs for certain magic items that require at least n ranks
        >in "Perform (specific instrument)" - e.g., Harp. Since there is no Perform
        >(Harp) skill available to choose, I expect that this really should be
        >considered a string instrument. However, CMP has replied that they can't
        >make that change due to their license with WotC. Fine. But seeing as I
        >don't have any such license (in fact, my license is being able to house rule
        >anything I want, according to the DM section of the DMG), I'd like to find a
        >way to override it that does not actually mean changing the CMP datasets -
        >that way I don't need to re-fix this every time I grab a new version of their
        >sets with other fixes.
        >
        >I have a solution that kinda works - but fouls up the preview panel a bit. So
        >I'd like to ask what solution this group would recommend. What I've tried
        >is:
        >
        >Perform (String Instruments).MOD <tab>
        >BONUS:SKILLRANK|Perform (Harp)|SKILLRANK=Perform {String Instruments}
        >
        >However, in the preview tab, this gets screwy. I'm seeing:
        >
        >Perform CHA 18 = 4 + 11.0 + 2
        >(Harp)
        >
        >The final number is right, but the numbers don't add up. The next one is the
        >same idea for Lute - I get the right total (18), but this time it's 5 + 11.0
        >+ 0 (closer - the CHA bonus is 5). After that, it goes downhill: Lyre has
        >the right total, but ability and misc modifiers are blank. In fact, the rest
        >of the skills from this point on have blanks for ability and misc modifiers.
        >
        >I'm hoping that by doing something a bit different in my "mine_skill.lst" file
        >that I can get this to appear properly.
        >
        >Partly, I'm doing this so that I can look at the ability and misc modifiers of
        >some skills after the Perform series at a glance. And partly because I think
        >that I'm doing this backwards ;-)
        >
        >Thanks,
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Darin McBride
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 4, 2006
          On Wednesday 30 August 2006 16:25, Terry FitzSimons wrote:
          > The simple way is the best.
          >
          > Go into the files find the (filename).pcc and the (filename)_skill.pcc.
          >
          > For this example srd.pcc and srd_skills.lst out of your data\srd folder.
          > I would not recommend changing the CMP files (snicker, I know).
          >
          > Drop them in your custom datafiles (your custom directory, not the one that
          > comes with PcGen) and add your initials to them. Open the .pcc and change
          > the RANK:1 to either RANK:8 or 9 to denote they are homebrews. Remove all
          > of the other files, but the skill file and change it to include your
          > initials. Change the rest of the tags as needed.
          >
          > Open the skills file and remove all the skills but the:
          >
          > Perform<tab>
          > KEYSTAT:CHA<tab>
          > TYPE:Charisma<tab>
          > SOURCEPAGE:srdskillsii.rtf
          >
          > Change to
          >
          > Perform (Instrument)<tab>
          > KEYSTAT:CHA<tab>
          > TYPE:Charisma<tab>
          > SOURCEPAGE:McBrideHomebrew.rtf

          I don't see how this is going to allow me to select 5 ranks of Perform
          (String) and count it as 5 ranks of Perform (Harp). Or am I missing the
          connection?

          > Copy as needed.
          >
          > Terry
          >
          > On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 10:04:04 -0600, Darin McBride <dmcbride@...>
          >
          > wrote:
          > >Note: PCGen 5.8.1 (since I'm using CMP's datasets)
          > >
          > >I have my own "dataset" that I've been building up with things like
          > >house-ruled prestige classes, magic items, spells from books that CMP
          > > hasn't published yet, etc.
          > >
          > >In it, I would like to specify that having "Perform (String Instruments)"
          > > will meet the pre-reqs for certain magic items that require at least n
          > > ranks in "Perform (specific instrument)" - e.g., Harp. Since there is no
          > > Perform (Harp) skill available to choose, I expect that this really
          > > should be considered a string instrument. However, CMP has replied that
          > > they can't make that change due to their license with WotC. Fine. But
          > > seeing as I don't have any such license (in fact, my license is being
          > > able to house rule anything I want, according to the DM section of the
          > > DMG), I'd like to find a way to override it that does not actually mean
          > > changing the CMP datasets - that way I don't need to re-fix this every
          > > time I grab a new version of their sets with other fixes.
          > >
          > >I have a solution that kinda works - but fouls up the preview panel a bit.
          > > So I'd like to ask what solution this group would recommend. What I've
          > > tried is:
          > >
          > >Perform (String Instruments).MOD <tab>
          > >BONUS:SKILLRANK|Perform (Harp)|SKILLRANK=Perform {String Instruments}
          > >
          > >However, in the preview tab, this gets screwy. I'm seeing:
          > >
          > >Perform CHA 18 = 4 + 11.0 + 2
          > >(Harp)
          > >
          > >The final number is right, but the numbers don't add up. The next one is
          > > the same idea for Lute - I get the right total (18), but this time it's 5
          > > + 11.0 + 0 (closer - the CHA bonus is 5). After that, it goes downhill:
          > > Lyre has the right total, but ability and misc modifiers are blank. In
          > > fact, the rest of the skills from this point on have blanks for ability
          > > and misc modifiers.
          > >
          > >I'm hoping that by doing something a bit different in my "mine_skill.lst"
          > > file that I can get this to appear properly.
          > >
          > >Partly, I'm doing this so that I can look at the ability and misc
          > > modifiers of some skills after the Perform series at a glance. And
          > > partly because I think that I'm doing this backwards ;-)
          > >
          > >Thanks,
        • Terry FitzSimons
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 7, 2006
            Well when you make the

            Perform (Harp)<tab>
            KEYSTAT:CHA<tab>
            TYPE:Charisma<tab>
            SOURCEPAGE:McBrideHomebrew.rtf

            you will have an entry for Harp to save it to. Just change the Instrument
            to the specific device you need.

            Terry

          • Darin McBride
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 7, 2006
              On Thursday 07 September 2006 09:45, Terry FitzSimons wrote:
              > Well when you make the
              >
              > Perform (Harp)<tab>
              > KEYSTAT:CHA<tab>
              > TYPE:Charisma<tab>
              > SOURCEPAGE:McBrideHomebrew.rtf
              >
              > you will have an entry for Harp to save it to. Just change the Instrument
              > to the specific device you need.

              Ah! I get it now. This is *in addition to* the changes I already made. So,
              this, in conjunction with what I originally posted, is the proposed solution.

              And, of course, it works. If I hadn't asked, though, and got this
              clarification, I would have deleted my original entries, and, of course, that
              wouldn't work. So I'm glad I asked, and thank you for the solution.

              All the numbers work out perfectly, everything showing up in the preview tab
              properly, etc. Although I can't add - the preview tab does just fine (for
              some reason, I saw "18 = 5 + 11 + 2" and thought it was wrong ... but that's
              just me). Thank again!