Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] Help implementing Region and Regional Feats in PCGen

  • Evan Miller
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 3, 2006
      From: "Benoît Bottin" <bottin@...>
      To: <PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Tuesday, August 01, 2006 4:33 AM
      Subject: [PCGenListFileHelp] Help implementing Region and Regional Feats in
      PCGen

      Hello ye Code Monkey Gurus,

      1. In Forgotten Realms there are things such as Regional Feats, which
      can be taken at level 1 if the PC is of a specific region (in my case,
      the region is called "the Vast"). The first trouble I ran into is
      this: how do you set the PC's region in PCGen ? It seems that in the
      description tab, the region field is not editable (it is grey). I
      found two workarounds to this but I would like to know if there is no
      other, simpler, mean of choosing a region. What I did:
      a) edit the PC sheet file (.pcg) with Notepad to add the tag
      REGION:the Vast. It works, but I assume oneshould be able to do this
      from within PCGen !
      b) define a new race such as human (the Vast) which has in the
      races.lst an additional tag: REGION:1|the Vast This also works.
      c) commenting on (b), it seems the PCGen documentation lists the
      REGION tag as being a kit tag and not a race tag. It does work in the
      races .lst file, however.
      Make a Template file for your setting that you call in your PCC file. In
      it, list all the regions as a template. In each one, add a REGION tag. For
      example, if your region is called Fooburg, it would look somethign like
      this:

      Fooburg REGION:Fooburg VISIBLE:YES

      Next: In your races file, for each race you need a region to be selected for
      (which should be all of them IIRC), add this to the end:

      TEMPLATE:CHOOSE:Fooburg|Foodog|FooFoo|Any other regional templates you made

      Now, when you make a character, you will get a popup asking you to choose
      one of those templates.

      2. Much more frustrating, now. The feat I want my PC to haven Thug,
      can be taken, say, if the PC is from one of four regions. There is a
      tag called PREREGION which allows to specify that a feat can be taken
      only if the PC matches a specific region. Just what I need... except I
      did not find how the tag can handle a choice of regions. From the tag
      documentation, I understand only one region can be specified. I tried
      several syntaxes:
      PREREGION:region1,region2,region3,region4
      PREREGION:region1|region2|region3|region4
      PREREGION:region1||region2||region3||region4
      (since || stands for an OR logical operator)
      but it does not work. Is seems so frustrating that a software which
      can handle so many different cases is simply unable to cope with
      regional feats... Can you tell me how to tell PCGen taht the feat can
      be taken if the PC is from one of several regions ?

      Yes, the PREREGION tag is frustrating, I have complained about it not taking
      multiple choices, but i don;t think it'll be changed any time soon.

      You need to use PREMULT in the feat. So if you have 4 possible choices, it
      would be:

      PREMULT:1,[PREREGION:Fooburg],[PREREGION:Foodog],[PREREGION:FooFoo],[PREREGION:Foomux]

      Hope this helps.

      Evan
    • boomer70
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 3, 2006
        --- Benoît Bottin <bottin@...> wrote:

        > Hello ye Code Monkey Gurus,
        >
        > Having picked up PCGen fairly recently, I have
        > almost immediately
        > tried to dig in the .lst files. Maybe not the wisest
        > thing to do, but
        > if the software is to be useful, I am obliged to do
        > it since the
        > campaign I am playing in is a Forgotten Realms
        > campaign, full of stuff
        > which is not open content and therefore not in the
        > PCGen data.

        Hi,

        Just so you know in future, we don't use specific
        closed content terms in discussions on this board.
        Please keep the questions generic Region Foo instead
        of the Vast.

        > I wasn't trying to do too much, just adding new
        > languages and feats.
        > However, I want to do things in the most correct way
        > and thus I was
        > stuck with a bit of trouble on which I hope you can
        > help me.
        >
        > 1. In Forgotten Realms there are things such as
        > Regional Feats, which
        > can be taken at level 1 if the PC is of a specific
        > region (in my case,
        > the region is called "the Vast"). The first trouble
        > I ran into is
        > this: how do you set the PC's region in PCGen ? It
        > seems that in the
        > description tab, the region field is not editable
        > (it is grey). I
        > found two workarounds to this but I would like to
        > know if there is no
        > other, simpler, mean of choosing a region. What I
        > did:
        > a) edit the PC sheet file (.pcg) with Notepad to
        > add the tag
        > REGION:the Vast. It works, but I assume oneshould be
        > able to do this
        > from within PCGen !
        > b) define a new race such as human (the Vast) which
        > has in the
        > races.lst an additional tag: REGION:1|the Vast This
        > also works.
        > c) commenting on (b), it seems the PCGen
        > documentation lists the
        > REGION tag as being a kit tag and not a race tag. It
        > does work in the
        > races .lst file, however.

        The way you can set this in the system is by creating
        a template with the REGION tag in it. When creating a
        character from a specific region you select the
        template for that region and it gets set.

        > 2. Much more frustrating, now. The feat I want my PC
        > to haven Thug,
        > can be taken, say, if the PC is from one of four
        > regions. There is a
        > tag called PREREGION which allows to specify that a
        > feat can be taken
        > only if the PC matches a specific region. Just what
        > I need... except I
        > did not find how the tag can handle a choice of
        > regions. From the tag
        > documentation, I understand only one region can be
        > specified. I tried
        > several syntaxes:
        > PREREGION:region1,region2,region3,region4
        > PREREGION:region1|region2|region3|region4
        > PREREGION:region1||region2||region3||region4
        > (since || stands for an OR logical operator)
        > but it does not work. Is seems so frustrating that a
        > software which
        > can handle so many different cases is simply unable
        > to cope with
        > regional feats... Can you tell me how to tell PCGen
        > taht the feat can
        > be taken if the PC is from one of several regions ?
        >
        > Many thanks for helping me on these topics,

        Unfortunately the PREREGION tag does not operate like
        most other PRExxx tags.

        To do what you want you need to use PREMULT.

        e.g.

        PREMULT:1,[PREREGION:Region1],[PREREGION:Region2],[PREREGION:Region3],[PREREGION:Region4]

        This mean that the prereq will pass if 1 of the
        following bracketed prereqs pass. You can change the
        first number to specify how many must pass. So to
        accomplish an AND type test change the number above to
        4.

        Hope this helps.

        -Aaron

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Paul Grosse
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 3, 2006
> [...]
          > > you tell me how to tell PCGen taht the feat can be taken if
          > the PC is
          > > from one of several regions ?
          > >
          > > Many thanks for helping me on these topics,
          > >

          > Unfortunately the PREREGION tag does not operate like most
          > other PRExxx tags.
          >
          > To do what you want you need to use PREMULT.
          >
          > e.g.
          >
          > PREMULT:1,[PREREGION:Region1],[PREREGION:Region2],[PREREGION:R
          > egion3],[PREREGION:Region4]
          >
          > This mean that the prereq will pass if 1 of the following
          > bracketed prereqs pass. You can change the first number to
          > specify how many must pass. So to accomplish an AND type
          > test change the number above to 4.
          >
          > Hope this helps.
          >
          > -Aaron
          >
          > ----------------
          > Aaron Divinsky
          > PCGen Docs 2nd, Data Chimp, Code Gibbon, Doc Tamarin

          It should also be noted that should you NOT want to do up all the FR
          books yourself you can purchase them for a nominal fee from Code Monkey
          Publishing (www.codemonkeypublishing.com).

          Paul G.
          OGL SB
        • Benoît Bottin
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 4, 2006
            --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, boomer70 <boomer70@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > Just so you know in future, we don't use specific
            > closed content terms in discussions on this board.
            > Please keep the questions generic Region Foo instead
            > of the Vast.

            Thanks for the tip. I'll remember that !

            > The way you can set this in the system is by creating
            > a template with the REGION tag in it. When creating a
            > character from a specific region you select the
            > template for that region and it gets set.

            Thanks - it works beautifully.

            > Unfortunately the PREREGION tag does not operate like
            > most other PRExxx tags.
            >
            > To do what you want you need to use PREMULT.
            >
            > e.g.

            PREMULT:1,[PREREGION:Region1],[PREREGION:Region2],[PREREGION:Region3],[PREREGION:Region4]

            > This mean that the prereq will pass if 1 of the
            > following bracketed prereqs pass. You can change the
            > first number to specify how many must pass. So to
            > accomplish an AND type test change the number above to
            > 4.

            This worked straightaway also. Many thanks for your help.

            > Hope this helps.
            >
            > -Aaron

            > http://mail.yahoo.com

          • Benoît Bottin
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 4, 2006
              --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Grosse"
              <paul.grosse@...> wrote:

              > It should also be noted that should you NOT want to do up all the FR
              > books yourself you can purchase them for a nominal fee from Code Monkey
              > Publishing (www.codemonkeypublishing.com).
              >
              > Paul G.
              > OGL SB

              Thanks for the tip. I checked their website but they say "do not
              attempt to use the datasets with any other version than..." (5.8.1 in
              the case I'm interested in).

              Does it mean that, or do they mean "do not use any earlier version
              than", i.e. will these datasets work in 5.10.1 ?

              Thanks,

              Benoît
            • Paul W. King
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 4, 2006
                CMP creates their datasets based upon a specific PCGen release...5.8.1 in this case. They make no promises on how it will work
                with any other PCGen release.

                Paul W. King
                PR SB, BoD

                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 4, 2006
                  I would like to say, that over the years I have seen questions go across
                  this list, where I could say that you would need that for this or that
                  closed content book. My understanding of this was more along the lines of "
                  Just so you know in future, we don't use specific closed content terms in
                  discussions on this board." Sometimes people seem to imply that if you have
                  a problem with creating closed content stuff, you can get no help, which as
                  far as I have seen could not be farther from the truth. Everyone is very
                  helpful, and also mindful of the trust that WoC has put in an Open Source
                  project, which competes directly with a commercial program of theirs (or at
                  least that they licensed).