Please help. Change weapon's crit muliple on class level line

  • ckst888888
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 17, 2006
      This is my first post to this board, so please excuse any blatant ignorance evidenced. :)

      I own the 3e splat book Masters of the Wild, and I'm trying to code up the Deepwood
      Sniper class. For personal use, obviously. But I'm having a h*** of a time getting the crit
      mult to change. I've tried feats, hidden feats, autofeats, templates, templates that call
      feats, hardcoding in the level line, you name it. The /only/ thing I've found that works is
      having two copies of all the affected weapons in the equipment lst, and swapping them in
      at the appropriate level. And how the heck do you put a class level pre on that?? Besides
      the fact that it's ugly as sin. Maddeningly, /something/ along the way worked - briefly. I
      patted myself on the back, started working on something else, and whatever magically
      started working just as magically stopped working, and I haven't been able to fix it since. :
      (

      As near as I can tell, the code that did, briefly, work, was this:
      [ in the class def ]
      2 <tab> FEATAUTO:Projectile Improved Critical

      [ in the hidden feats lst ]
      Projectile Improved Critical <tab> BONUS:WEAPONPROF=%bow%|CRITMULTADD|1

      That's it. I think. I have /no/ idea what changed when it stopped working. And since this
      no longer works either, I have to assume it didn't really work, but as nearly as I can recall,
      that's how it was.

      Any ideas on what went right/wrong or how to actually accomplish this would be
      appreciated.

      Oh, PCGen 5.10 on Mac OS X.4

      Thanks in advance!

    • boomer70
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 18, 2006
        --- ckst888888 <ckst@...> wrote:

        > This is my first post to this board, so please
        > excuse any blatant ignorance evidenced. :)

        Welcome aboard!

        > I own the 3e splat book Masters of the Wild, and I'm
        > trying to code up the Deepwood
        > Sniper class. For personal use, obviously. But I'm
        > having a h*** of a time getting the crit
        > mult to change. I've tried feats, hidden feats,
        > autofeats, templates, templates that call
        > feats, hardcoding in the level line, you name it.
        > The /only/ thing I've found that works is
        > having two copies of all the affected weapons in the
        > equipment lst, and swapping them in
        > at the appropriate level. And how the heck do you
        > put a class level pre on that?? Besides
        > the fact that it's ugly as sin. Maddeningly,
        > /something/ along the way worked - briefly. I
        > patted myself on the back, started working on
        > something else, and whatever magically
        > started working just as magically stopped working,
        > and I haven't been able to fix it since. :
        > (

        OK since this is your first post I just want to make
        you aware that we don't post details about closed
        content sources on this list (like the splat books).
        If you would like to ask about something in one of
        those books say something like "I have a class that
        adds one to the critical multiplier for all bows how
        do I code that?" We do this for two reasons.
        Firstly, we want to keep the publishers happy. We
        have and want to continue a good relationship with the
        publisher so we try and stick to this policy.
        Secondly, not everyone on this list will have all the
        sources you are talking about. Often even if they do
        they don't have access to them when reading the list.
        So you will get more and better responses if you
        include all the information in your question. Here
        ends the PSA portion of the response.

        > As near as I can tell, the code that did, briefly,
        > work, was this:
        > [ in the class def ]
        > 2 <tab> FEATAUTO:Projectile Improved Critical
        >
        > [ in the hidden feats lst ]
        > Projectile Improved Critical <tab>
        > BONUS:WEAPONPROF=%bow%|CRITMULTADD|1
        >
        > That's it. I think. I have /no/ idea what changed
        > when it stopped working. And since this
        > no longer works either, I have to assume it didn't
        > really work, but as nearly as I can recall,
        > that's how it was.

        Well I don't think % wildcard matching works at the
        start of a name so that is probably why it doesn't
        work.

        > Any ideas on what went right/wrong or how to
        > actually accomplish this would be
        > appreciated.
        >
        > Oh, PCGen 5.10 on Mac OS X.4

        What I think you want is
        BONUS:WEAPONPROF=TYPE.Bow|CRITMULTADD|1

        -Aaron

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Jeff Billimek
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 18, 2006
          On 7/18/06, boomer70 <boomer70@...> wrote:

          > What I think you want is
          > BONUS:WEAPONPROF=TYPE.Bow|CRITMULTADD|1

          Just make sure that you are careful when modifying something with
          BONUS:WEAPONPROF= in the LST editor as I beleive there is a bug with that
          right now. (Tracker
          #1517762<https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=1517762&group_id=25576&atid=384719>
          )

          Thanks,
          Jeff

        • ckst888888
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 18, 2006
            Thanks for the tip about the LST editor, but I haven't been using it. I'm a 'hack the file'
            dinosaur. :)

            Re closed content, sorry! I didn't think just using the name was bad, but I will refrain in
            future.

            Thanks for the help, I'll definitely try that out. :)

            --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Billimek" <jeff@...> wrote:

            > On 7/18/06, boomer70 <boomer70@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > What I think you want is
            > > BONUS:WEAPONPROF=TYPE.Bow|CRITMULTADD|1
            > >

            > Just make sure that you are careful when modifying something with
            > BONUS:WEAPONPROF= in the LST editor as I beleive there is a bug with that
            > right now. (Tracker
            > #1517762<https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?
            func=detail&aid=1517762&group_id=25576&atid=384719>
            > )
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Jeff

          • ckst888888
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 18, 2006
              UPDATE: the suggested syntax does not work, either in the class level line, or called as a
              feat. Neither does it work as WEAPONPROF=Longbow (Composite) [which is what I have
              equipped to test with] so I'm really stuck on this, and getting discouraged. I cannot think
              of a reason why this isn't working. Help?

              --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "ckst888888" <ckst@...> wrote:

              > Thanks for the tip about the LST editor, but I haven't been using it. I'm a 'hack the file'
              > dinosaur. :)
              >
              > Re closed content, sorry! I didn't think just using the name was bad, but I will refrain in
              > future.
              >
              > Thanks for the help, I'll definitely try that out. :)
              >
              > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Billimek" <jeff@> wrote:
              > >
              > > On 7/18/06, boomer70 <boomer70@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > What I think you want is
              > > > BONUS:WEAPONPROF=TYPE.Bow|CRITMULTADD|1
              > > >

              > > Just make sure that you are careful when modifying something with
              > > BONUS:WEAPONPROF= in the LST editor as I beleive there is a bug with that
              > > right now. (Tracker
              > > #1517762<https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?
              > func=detail&aid=1517762&group_id=25576&atid=384719>
              > > )
              > >
              > > Thanks,
              > > Jeff

            • Eddy Anthony
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 18, 2006
                Try: BONUS:WEAPONPROF=Longbow|CRITMULTADD|1

                BONUS:WEAPONPROF works off the proficiency name which may or may not match
                the weapons name, in this case in the RSRD there is no Longbow (Composite)
                or Bow, nor is there a Proficiency type named Bow (TYPEs are Simple, Martial
                and Exotic)

                You can find a weapons prof in it's PROFICIENCY tag and the full list is in
                the rsrd_weaponprofs.lst file.

                --
                ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
              • ckst888888
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 18, 2006
                  Well, it's still not working. I've tried Longbow, Longbow (Composite), and Longbow% as
                  weapon profs (both of the first two are in the srd weaponprofs list). Not even the
                  CRITRANGE modifier is working, which should kick in at 1st level, but doesn't. Thanks for
                  all the help so far, but still no luck. Any more ideas?

                  --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Eddy Anthony <eddyba@...> wrote:

                  > Try: BONUS:WEAPONPROF=Longbow|CRITMULTADD|1
                  >
                  > BONUS:WEAPONPROF works off the proficiency name which may or may not match
                  > the weapons name, in this case in the RSRD there is no Longbow (Composite)
                  > or Bow, nor is there a Proficiency type named Bow (TYPEs are Simple, Martial
                  > and Exotic)
                  >
                  > You can find a weapons prof in it's PROFICIENCY tag and the full list is in
                  > the rsrd_weaponprofs.lst file.
                  >
                  > On 7/18/06 1:59 PM, "ckst888888" <ckst@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > UPDATE: the suggested syntax does not work, either in the class level line, or
                  > > called as a
                  > > feat. Neither does it work as WEAPONPROF=Longbow (Composite) [which is what I
                  > > have
                  > > equipped to test with] so I'm really stuck on this, and getting discouraged. I
                  > > cannot think
                  > > of a reason why this isn't working. Help?

                  > > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "ckst888888" <ckst@> wrote:
                  > >>
                  > >> Thanks for the tip about the LST editor, but I haven't been using it. I'm a
                  > >> 'hack the file'
                  > >> dinosaur. :)
                  > >>
                  > >> Re closed content, sorry! I didn't think just using the name was bad, but I
                  > >> will refrain in
                  > >> future.
                  > >>
                  > >> Thanks for the help, I'll definitely try that out. :)

                  > --
                  > ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                  > ~ PCGen BoD, Data Content Second, Doc Chimp

                • Darin McBride
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 18, 2006
                    On Tuesday 18 July 2006 16:30, ckst888888 wrote:
                    > Well, it's still not working. I've tried Longbow, Longbow (Composite), and
                    > Longbow% as weapon profs (both of the first two are in the srd weaponprofs
                    > list). Not even the CRITRANGE modifier is working, which should kick in at
                    > 1st level, but doesn't. Thanks for all the help so far, but still no luck.
                    > Any more ideas?

                    After reading this thread, I got this wierd idea for a similar, more generic
                    feat. To the best of my knowledge, this feat is not in any book. More
                    specifically, it is not in any book I've purchased, or read in the store, or
                    anywhere that I recall. Thus, I don't think it's closed source ;-)

                    Power Critical
                    TYPE:General.Fighter
                    PREFEAT:2,Power Attack,Weapon Focus
                    DESC:With your chosen weapon, you know how to hit hard criticals
                    MULT:YES
                    CHOOSE:FEAT=Weapon Focus|LIST
                    BONUS:WEAPONPROF=%LIST|CRITMULTADD|1
                    SOURCELONG:None|SOURCESHORT:mine|SOURCEPAGE:
                    BENEFIT:When using the weapon you selected, your critical damage multiplier
                    increases by one. For example, a longsword usually scores double damage on a
                    critical. If a character using a longsword has Power Critical (longsword),
                    the damage triples.

                    I've put this in to my PCGen 5.8.1 (I use CMP's data sets), and seems to be
                    working the way I want. Now that it's there, I think our party's ranger may
                    want to take it (combined with Improved Critical on a scimitar, this can
                    really hurt!).
                  • Ian Homeyard
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 21, 2006
                      Darin McBride wrote:

                      > After reading this thread, I got this wierd idea for a similar, more generic
                      > feat. To the best of my knowledge, this feat is not in any book. More
                      > specifically, it is not in any book I've purchased, or read in the store, or
                      > anywhere that I recall. Thus, I don't think it's closed source ;-)

                      As a completely off-topic aside... Not quite. :)

                      The name 'Power Critical' is used by WotC in a closed feat. (Unless
                      they've printed it elsewhere) in Complete Warrior that does something
                      substantially different, although still useful to a critical oriented
                      fighter relating to confirmation of a threat. The effect you gave it
                      does appear in an open feat called 'Enhanced Critical' in Bastion's Torn
                      Asunder, although it may have appeared elsewhere first, the book has a
                      loooong section 15. :)

                      Joke aside, constructively you might want to re-examine the
                      prerequisites for that feat if you haven't offered it to your players
                      yet. Enhanced Critical has a much more stringent set: "Proficiency with
                      the selected weapon, Improved Critical with the selected Weapon, base
                      attack bonus +10 or higher".

                      From a design stand point it may well be a wash, since a feat is pricey
                      and a triple critical isn't, on the face of it, all THAT much worse then
                      a double. However, I will say that -- from personal experience -- an
                      18-20/x3 can be unbalancing at low levels and I'm unsure whether or not
                      the opportunity cost of the feat cost balances it. My experience is on
                      the player side with a finesseable weapon whose base was 1d8 18-20/x3
                      and it was EXTREMELY effective. With your example of a scimitar, a
                      relatively obtainable damage bonus of +14 will mean that most critical
                      hits will deal over 50 points of damage, triggering a massive damage
                      save and one of 16 or higher will always deal 50 or more points. If +14
                      seems incredulous at low levels, consider the following, a homogeneous
                      4th level party with a fighter, cleric and bard with no magic weapons or
                      relevant items:

                      Strength 16 +3
                      Weapon Specialization +2
                      /Magic Weapon/ from Cleric +1
                      /Bull's Strength/ from Cleric +2
                      Bardic Music /Inspire Courage +1/ +1
                      /Rage/ from Bard +1
                      Power Attack (not loosing any +4
                      to-hit due to to-hit bonus
                      from above buffs)
                      Total damage bonus for fighter +14

                      Now, admittedly the timing on this will be important due to Rage's short
                      duration, but it's doable. It's also not all that much effort for an
                      important combat. At 5th level, the same party can skip this timing
                      issue by having the cleric cast /Prayer/. Admittedly, your example was
                      a Ranger, without access to Weapon Specialization, but he'll get much
                      the same benefit from Favored Enemy albeit against a more select group
                      then the scimitar specialist above.

                      Just some food for thought, it's your game though. Oh, you might want
                      to add a STACK:NO in there (or at least test what happens taking it
                      twice), assuming you want it to work like Improved Critical and Weapon
                      Focus and only apply to one weapon.

                      --
                      Ian Homeyard
                      ian.homeyard@...
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 21, 2006
                        > > After reading this thread, I got this wierd idea for a
                        > similar, more
                        > > generic feat. To the best of my knowledge, this feat is not in any
                        > > book. More specifically, it is not in any book I've purchased, or
                        > > read in the store, or anywhere that I recall. Thus, I don't think
                        > > it's closed source ;-)
                        >
                        > As a completely off-topic aside... Not quite. :)
                        >
                        > The name 'Power Critical' is used by WotC in a closed feat.
                        > (Unless they've printed it elsewhere) in Complete Warrior
                        > that does something substantially different, although still
                        > useful to a critical oriented fighter relating to
                        > confirmation of a threat. The effect you gave it does appear
                        > in an open feat called 'Enhanced Critical' in Bastion's Torn
                        > Asunder, although it may have appeared elsewhere first, the
                        > book has a loooong section 15. :)

                        You want to see a long Sec. 15 look at BP's 3.5 arms and armor or
                        Silverthorne's Book of Templates, Deluxe edition.

                        Paul G.
                        OGL SB
                      • bebberd@att.net
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 21, 2006
                          From: Ian Homeyard <krensky2001@...>
                          > Darin McBride wrote:
                          > The name 'Power Critical' is used by WotC in a closed feat. (Unless
                          > they've printed it elsewhere) in Complete Warrior that does something
                          > substantially different, although still useful to a critical oriented
                          > fighter relating to confirmation of a threat. The effect you gave it
                          > does appear in an open feat called 'Enhanced Critical' in Bastion's Torn
                          > Asunder, although it may have appeared elsewhere first, the book has a
                          > loooong section 15. :)

                          I believe there was a Power Critical Feat in Oriental Adventures (3.0) that works the way he was stating.

                          Also look at a Heavy Pick (1d6 20/x4), becomes (1d6 20/x5) min:5 avg:15 max:30 ... slap on a +1 and Keen and then give your Ranger a matched set... you are ready to deal some silly damage!