Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] VFEAT versus FEATAUTO

  • Terry FitzSimons
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 2 5:18 PM
      Documents start at \PCGen5101rc1\docs\navlistindex.html in your download.

      Short answer, more than that.

      Tag Name: FEATAUTO:x|x

      Variables Used (x): Text (Feat Names)

      What it does:

      This is a | (pipe) delimited list of feats that the class automatically
      gets.
      FEATAUTO is applied based on the content of the tag alone, thus no choices
      (these are not stored with the character, they get assigned "on-the-fly".
      In order to gain the benefit of this, the entire feat including subchoices
      must be specified. eg. Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Sword (Two-Bladed)).
      Examples:

      FEATAUTO:Simple Weapon Proficiency

      The class automatically receives the "Simple Weapon Proficiency" feat.

      FEATATUO:Alertness|Blind Fighting

      The class automatically receives the "Alertness" and "Blind Fighting"
      feats.

      Where it is used:

      Class Level Line.

      XXXXXXXXX

      Tag Name: VFEAT:x|x

      Variables Used (x): Text (Name of Feats)

      What it does:

      This is a | (pipe) delimited list of feats that the character gains as
      virtual feats.
      Virtual Feats are granted to the character regardless of the prerequisites.
      New prerequisites can be assigned by appending PRExxx tags.
      Examples:

      VFEAT:Simple Weapon Proficiency

      The character gains "Simple Weapon Proficiency" as a virtual feat.

      VFEAT:Alertness|Blind Fight

      The character gains "Alertness" and "Blind Fight" as virtual feats.

      VFEAT:Banana Barrage|PRECLASS:1,Ninja Monkey=1

      The character gains "Banana Barrage" as virtual feats only if they have at
      least one level of "Ninja Monkey".

      On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 22:17:26 -0000, you wrote:

      >I've scoured the web, documentation, and this list for a defining
      >difference between the VFEAT and FEATAUTO tags, but have come up short.
      >
      >As far as I can tell, virtual feats are highlighted in a different
      >color in PCGen. Aside from this, both tags give feat XXX to character
      >YYY, ignoring any possible pre-requisites. Is this the case or is
      >there more to it than that?
      >
      >Thanks in advance,
      >-Pete
    • Peter Souza IV
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 3 9:33 AM
        I know that's where my documentation is. Thanks anyway, but as I
        indicated in my first message: I have read through it in its entirety
        as well as searched through this message group. Between what I've
        found previously and your response, my question remains unanswered.

        Both tags seem to provide the exact same functionality. Nevermind
        that the documentation calls one a feat and one a virtual feat.
        That's a fancy way of saying that "it's different" without saying how
        it is. I understand from the Core Rules that a virtual feat is given
        regardless of prerequisites, but feats given via FEATAUTO are also
        given regardless of prerequisites.

        The only potential difference I see is that you can specify new
        prerequisites with VFEAT. I say potential because it is not
        explicitly indicated that FEATAUTO does not also support this
        behavior. And if this is the case, then wouldn't it stand to reason
        that everything you can do with FEATAUTO, you can also do with VFEAT?
        Why use FEATAUTO at all?

        I think the PCGen project is an amazing collaboration of talent and
        effort and am simultaneously trying to help the documentation by
        making it more concise as well as simply have a better understanding
        of the finer aspects of the program itself.

        Cheers,
        -Pete

        --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Terry FitzSimons
        <fitzsimons@...> wrote:

        > Documents start at \PCGen5101rc1\docs\navlistindex.html in your
        download.

        > Short answer, more than that.
        >
        > Tag Name: FEATAUTO:x|x
        >
        > Variables Used (x): Text (Feat Names)
        >
        > What it does:
        >
        > This is a | (pipe) delimited list of feats that the class automatically
        > gets.
        > FEATAUTO is applied based on the content of the tag alone, thus no
        choices
        > (these are not stored with the character, they get assigned
        "on-the-fly".
        > In order to gain the benefit of this, the entire feat including
        subchoices
        > must be specified. eg. Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Sword (Two-Bladed)).
        > Examples:
        >
        > FEATAUTO:Simple Weapon Proficiency
        >
        > The class automatically receives the "Simple Weapon Proficiency" feat.
        >
        > FEATATUO:Alertness|Blind Fighting
        >
        > The class automatically receives the "Alertness" and "Blind Fighting"
        > feats.
        >
        > Where it is used:
        >
        > Class Level Line.
        >
        > XXXXXXXXX
        >
        > Tag Name: VFEAT:x|x
        >
        > Variables Used (x): Text (Name of Feats)
        >
        > What it does:
        >
        > This is a | (pipe) delimited list of feats that the character gains as
        > virtual feats.
        > Virtual Feats are granted to the character regardless of the
        prerequisites.
        > New prerequisites can be assigned by appending PRExxx tags.
        > Examples:
        >
        > VFEAT:Simple Weapon Proficiency
        >
        > The character gains "Simple Weapon Proficiency" as a virtual feat.
        >
        > VFEAT:Alertness|Blind Fight
        >
        > The character gains "Alertness" and "Blind Fight" as virtual feats.
        >
        > VFEAT:Banana Barrage|PRECLASS:1,Ninja Monkey=1
        >
        > The character gains "Banana Barrage" as virtual feats only if they
        have at
        > least one level of "Ninja Monkey".
        >

        > On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 22:17:26 -0000, you wrote:
        >
        > >I've scoured the web, documentation, and this list for a defining
        > >difference between the VFEAT and FEATAUTO tags, but have come up short.
        > >
        > >As far as I can tell, virtual feats are highlighted in a different
        > >color in PCGen. Aside from this, both tags give feat XXX to character
        > >YYY, ignoring any possible pre-requisites. Is this the case or is
        > >there more to it than that?
        > >
        > >Thanks in advance,
        > >-Pete

      • boomer70
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 3 10:01 AM
          --- Peter Souza IV <psouza4@...> wrote:

          > I know that's where my documentation is. Thanks
          > anyway, but as I
          > indicated in my first message: I have read through
          > it in its entirety
          > as well as searched through this message group.
          > Between what I've
          > found previously and your response, my question
          > remains unanswered.
          >
          > Both tags seem to provide the exact same
          > functionality. Nevermind
          > that the documentation calls one a feat and one a
          > virtual feat.
          > That's a fancy way of saying that "it's different"
          > without saying how
          > it is. I understand from the Core Rules that a
          > virtual feat is given
          > regardless of prerequisites, but feats given via
          > FEATAUTO are also
          > given regardless of prerequisites.
          >
          > The only potential difference I see is that you can
          > specify new
          > prerequisites with VFEAT. I say potential because
          > it is not
          > explicitly indicated that FEATAUTO does not also
          > support this
          > behavior. And if this is the case, then wouldn't it
          > stand to reason
          > that everything you can do with FEATAUTO, you can
          > also do with VFEAT?
          > Why use FEATAUTO at all?
          >
          > I think the PCGen project is an amazing
          > collaboration of talent and
          > effort and am simultaneously trying to help the
          > documentation by
          > making it more concise as well as simply have a
          > better understanding
          > of the finer aspects of the program itself.

          There are subtle differences between the two tags.
          The first difference is that the program tracks auto
          feats differently that virtual feats. The program
          will display both on the GUI as well as potentially on
          the output sheet virtual feats separate from auto
          feats.

          As stated in the documentation, an auto feat is not a
          full member of the feat family. There is no
          ADD:FEATAUTO as there is for ADD:VFEAT. This means
          you can't use FEATAUTO to add a feat with a chooser
          built in.

          FEATAUTO can only be used in class level lines. The
          feat itself is treated as a "level ability". Meaning
          it is tracked as being gained at a certain level and
          will be added or removed based on the characters
          level. Of course a VFEAT added on a level line will
          have the same effect but handled a little differently
          internally.

          All in all though the difference is rather acidemic
          and historical. You can use which ever one works for
          you. Hopefully when the Ability project is complete
          this confusion will be cleared up.

          I hope that answers your question.

          -Aaron

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Terry FitzSimons
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 3 1:05 PM
            Sorry misunderstood, thought you missed the entries.

            Its a under the hood difference. FEATAUTO can be taken back and VFEAT can't
            be. When you run a character up the ranks both FEATAUTO and VFEAT will be
            applied. When you back down for what ever reason FEATAUTO comes off but
            VFEAT stays. When you readvance, both FEATAUTO and VFEAT will be
            applied... again.

            Then there where it can be used, FEATAUTO only in Classes, VFEAT
            (theoretically) everywhere.

            Terry

            --

            Terry FitzSimons