Re: Please help create "Wolverine Claws"

  • allencohn
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 11, 2006
      Hi everyone,

      I think I found *part* of the problem...and I don't know if it's a
      problem with PCGen or an error in my understanding of the rules.

      It has to do with the buckler the character is wearing. According to
      PCGen, if my character is wearing a buckler and has a "claw" equipped
      in each hand, then it applies a -1 miscellaneous To Hit penalty to
      all attacks (even the calculations for non-claw weapons).

      I thought what was supposed to happen (and correct me if I'm wrong)
      is that while wearing a buckler, a character is supposed to take a -1
      To Hit penalty ONLY on two-handed weapons or weapons wielded solely
      in the buckler arm, i.e., a weapon held by the hand of the non-
      buckler arm should not suffer this penalty.

      In addition, when using the buckler arm to wield a one-handed weapon
      or as part of wielding a two-handed weapon, the buckler's AC bonus
      doesn't apply. (However, my character has taken the Improved Buckler
      Defense feat, which eliminates this restriction.)

      Any thoughts?

      Many thanks,
      Allen

      PS: Even taking this into account, PCGen calculates the To Hit and
      Damage bonus as one less than I expect. It's almost as if it's
      treating the weapon as a +1 weapon, not +2, even though its
      definition includes

      EQMOD:STAR_METAL|MWORKW|PLUS2W

      Suggestions?

      PPS: Would someone please translate the output sheet abbreviations

      1H-P
      1H-O
      2H
      2W-P-(OH)
      2W-P-(OL)
      2W-OH

      I understand the first 3, but not the last 3.
    • Chris Chandler
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 11, 2006
        > I thought what was supposed to happen (and correct me if I'm
        > wrong) is that while wearing a buckler, a character is
        > supposed to take a -1 To Hit penalty ONLY on two-handed
        > weapons or weapons wielded solely in the buckler arm, i.e., a
        > weapon held by the hand of the non- buckler arm should not
        > suffer this penalty.

        That's true, but PCGen can't do this as it doesn't distinguish "arms" for
        shields...

        You could change the BONUS on the buckler (from what you're saying I'm
        assuming it's a simple BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT| to be a
        BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT-SECONDARY and it should only apply to the offhand weapon
        (or make it BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT-PRIMARY| if you want it to affect your
        primary arm). Doing this though throws it out of wack for two handed
        weapons....

        Barak
      • allencohn
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 11, 2006
          Thank you, Barak, for your thoughtful answer. I guess we'll just file
          this in the "feature request" pile. I think that since this character
          almost always fights with two weapons or a two-handed weapon, it's
          best for me to just have the -1 apply to everything and remember that
          my first attack sequence is +1 better To Hit.

          Onward, does anyone have any idea why the weapon seems to be
          calculated as a +1 weapon instead of a +2? (it's one less on To Hit
          and 1 less on Damage bonus than expected...) Just to review, my
          current LST file defines them as:

          Wolverine Claws PROFICIENCY:Wolverine Claws DAMAGE:1d8
          EQMOD:STAR_METAL|MWORKW|PLUS2W CRITRANGE:3 CRITMULT:x2
          COST:12700 WT:0.25
          TYPE:Enhancement.Weapon.Exotic.Melee.Slashing.Specific.Piercin
          g SPROP:+2 additional vs. evil creatures SIZE:M WIELD:Light
          SPROP:Can crit undead SPROP:Good aligned SPROP:Against
          Negative Energy Plane creatures or undead it does double damage (and
          X3 on a crit instead of X2)

          And would someone please translate those

          2W-p-(OH)
          2W-P-(OL)
          2W-OH

          abbreviations?

          Many, many thanks,
          Allen
        • Chris Chandler
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 11, 2006
            > 2W-p-(OH)
            Two Weapon Primary (Offhand Weapon is Heavy)

            > 2W-P-(OL)
            Two Weapon Primary (Offhand Weapon is Light)

            > 2W-OH
            Two Weapon Offhand

            Barak