Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] Template to add domains to a character?

    Message 1 of 6 , May 7 8:45 AM
      See in line:

      Ken Coar wrote:
      > PCGen 5.8.0
      >
      > An unusual set of circumstances have led to the cleric in our party
      > being granted the domains of two different deities. (Originally a
      > Pelorian, Mystra has now said "You got all mine, too.") Granted
      > outright, not granted-to-choose-from.
      >
      > I'm trying to handle this with a custom template, but no joy yet. I
      > currently have the following, although I've tried various other things
      > as well:
      >
      > Reverend of Doofus
      > VISIBLE:YES
      > BONUS:DOMAIN|NUMBER|8
      So far you've got this correct..
      > ADDDOMAINS:Good.Illusion.Knowledge.Magic.Rune.Spell.Glory.Healing.Strength.Sun
      This won't work. As stated in the Help Doc that tag ONLY works in the
      Class line. This adds domains for the class to choose from.
      > DOMAIN:Good|Illusion|Knowledge|Magic|Rune|Spell|Glory|Healing|Strength|Sun
      That tag is only used in the class line. It directly gives those Domains
      to the class.
      > TYPE:CUSTOM
      >
      > Is this possible with a template? What do I need to change/do
      > differently?
      >
      > Thanks!
      Ok, I'm not sure if a template approach is the best choice. I think your
      best route of choice is to MOD your cleric OR Make a new Class based off
      of the cleric with those changes.

      My suggestion is to Make a new Class copying all the cleric stuff and
      add those extra Tags in. You can call it 'Reverend of Doofus'.

      Otherwise, your second choice is too make the template give you as many
      bonus domains as you need and add the domains by hand. If you have
      difficulty getting both Deity Domains, you can A) Mod the main Deity
      with the domains, or B) Create another Deity with all the domains.

      NOTE: Custom lst files are directly made by the pcgen program, DON'T try
      to mess with those files, instead use the tags in the documentation, to
      have an easier time. :)

      Good luck,

      Andrew Maitland
      Doc Lemur

      > [heavily frustrated by the syntactical format difference between
      > 'standard' files and custom*.lst files..]

      ---
      Virus Database (VPS): 0618-3, 05/05/2006
      Tested on: 5/7/2006 8:45:48 AM

    • Ken Coar
      Message 2 of 6 , May 7 10:04 AM
        <drew0500@...> wrote:

        > > ADDDOMAINS:Good.Illusion.Knowledge.Magic.Rune ...
        > This won't work. As stated in the Help Doc that tag ONLY
        > works in the Class line. This adds domains for the class
        > to choose from.

        Here I start coming adrift. 'Class line' in what file, part of
        defining what sort of thing?

        > Ok, I'm not sure if a template approach is the best choice.
        > I think your best route of choice is to MOD your cleric OR
        > Make a new Class based off of the cleric with those changes.

        Among other things, I'm concerned that modifying the cleric PCG
        directly may result in something not being understood by PCgen and
        subsequently omitted on a save. Also rather a pain if ever another
        cleric gets this set of abilities..

        > My suggestion is to Make a new Class copying all the cleric
        > stuff and add those extra Tags in. You can call it 'Reverend
        > of Doofus'.
        >
        > Otherwise, your second choice is too make the template give
        > you as many bonus domains as you need and add the domains by
        > hand. If you have difficulty getting both Deity Domains, you
        > can A) Mod the main Deity with the domains, or B) Create
        > another Deity with all the domains.

        This seems really awkward and clunky, and reeks of unsupporteness. :-(

        > NOTE: Custom lst files are directly made by the pcgen program,
        > DON'T try to mess with those files, instead use the tags in
        > the documentation, to have an easier time. :)

        I'm finding that advice very difficult to follow. It's like there's
        some set of very basic assumptions I'm missing. It's also quite
        awkward when using PCGen's GUI results in custom*.lst files that are
        wrong or incomplete, but a) don't look anything like the source files
        and b) I'm not supposed to touch them anyway.

        Due to the dichotomy, I'm getting the impression that the best
        approach is to *not* use the GUI, but create/edit my own source files,
        using the documented tags. Is that reasonably accurate? Except I
        haven't found clear instructions on how to add my own source files so
        that they augment those that are part of the distribution.

        Maybe I should get on the dev list so I can try to contribute fixes
        and not just problems. Our campaign *does* seem to be stretching the
        envelope in multiple directions..

        Thanks for your patience and help..
        Message 3 of 6 , May 7 10:29 AM
          The Class line is found in your data folder in a file called
          xxx_class.lst (xxx being the name of where the class comes from, in your
          case most likely the SRD or SRD35)

          In the program, use the PCGen Documentation function to learn how to
          make your own custom .lst and .pcc files.

          I can help you if you IM me, as discussing the mechanics on the help
          forum isn't the best place.

          Synopsis:
          CLASS LINE is found in a file called xxx_class.lst in your data folder.
          The tags you want to use would be added to that file.

          Direct route: PCGEN Folder/data/d20ogl/srd35/basic/rsrd_classes_base.lst

          Use a basic text editor. Happy Hunting...

          In answer to all your other questions... Yes, it is much easier and pain
          free (for the most part) to make and edit your own files. The GUI
          customizer is in need of a major overhaul which is slated for one of the
          next releases. You'll find the documentation is an excellent start to
          learn the basics. I found just jumping in and looking at the existing
          files increased my understanding, and then using the help to fill in the
          gaps. Anything you don't understand, feel free to ask, as many regulars
          on these boards have been down the path before and can give you advice.

          The best place to begin would be to look at data/my_dataset which was
          designed for beginners to learn.

          Andrew Maitland
          Doc Lemur

          Tested on: 5/7/2006 10:29:43 AM

        • Chris Chandler
          Message 4 of 6 , May 7 11:35 AM

            > fill in the gaps. Anything you don't understand, feel free to
            > ask, as many regulars on these boards have been down the path
            > before and can give you advice.
            >
            > The best place to begin would be to look at data/my_dataset
            > which was designed for beginners to learn.

            And looking at the ".lst file classes" portion of the documentation. While
            it doesn't cover every aspect, it will get you going on creating a dataset.

            Barak
          • taluroniscandar
            Message 5 of 6 , May 8 5:21 AM
              --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Coar" <Ken@...> wrote:

              > PCGen 5.8.0
              >
              > An unusual set of circumstances have led to the cleric in our party
              > being granted the domains of two different deities. (Originally a
              > Pelorian, Mystra has now said "You got all mine, too.") Granted
              > outright, not granted-to-choose-from.
              >
              > I'm trying to handle this with a custom template, but no joy yet. I
              > currently have the following, although I've tried various other things
              > as well:

              The easiest way to do this is create a custom diety that has all of
              these domains available, then create a COST:0 feat giving the
              character BONUS:DOMAINs sufficient to choose as many as he is supposed
              to have.