Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] How to get the Spellcasting level

  • boomer70
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 10, 2006
      --- monch9ph <mon.yao@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > How do I get the highest spell level that a
      > character can cast. For
      > example, I'm a wizard 5/eldrich knight 3 for a total
      > wizard casting
      > level of 8. Highest spell that he can cast is spell
      > level 4. How do
      > I get the 4?

      Why do you need the 4? What are you trying to
      accomplish. If you let us know what you are trying to
      do we may be able to give you a solution.

      -Aaron

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • monch9ph
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 10, 2006
        Hi,

        I'm trying to implement this rule from a rule book :

        Quote "The wizard may also prepare one additional spell of her highest
        spell level each day."

        I could put a lot of PRESPELLTYPE (1 - 9) to implement this but I was
        hoping there was a more elegant solution.

        Monch

        --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, boomer70 <boomer70@...> wrote:

        > --- monch9ph <mon.yao@...> wrote:
        >

        > > Hi,
        > >
        > > How do I get the highest spell level that a
        > > character can cast. For
        > > example, I'm a wizard 5/eldrich knight 3 for a total
        > > wizard casting
        > > level of 8. Highest spell that he can cast is spell
        > > level 4. How do
        > > I get the 4?
        >
        > Why do you need the 4? What are you trying to
        > accomplish. If you let us know what you are trying to
        > do we may be able to give you a solution.
        >
        > -Aaron

        > http://mail.yahoo.com

      • boomer70
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 10, 2006
          --- monch9ph <mon.yao@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > I'm trying to implement this rule from a rule book :
          >
          > Quote "The wizard may also prepare one additional
          > spell of her highest
          > spell level each day."
          >

          > I could put a lot of PRESPELLTYPE (1 - 9) to
          > implement this but I was
          > hoping there was a more elegant solution.

          Unfortunately the short answer is no you can't do it
          any more eligantly that with PRExxx tags.

          The problem is even if there were a way to calculate
          or get the max spell level the tag you need to
          actually apply the bonus BONUS:SPELLCAST only accepts
          an integer for the LEVEL= param.

          I would open (or request to be open) a FREQ to allow
          this tag and its cousins to allow for this behaviour.

          -Aaron

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • monch9ph
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 10, 2006
            Thanks Aaron.

            The CMP guys might want to do this. Me, it's time to code some PRE's :)

            Monch

            --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, boomer70 <boomer70@...> wrote:

            > --- monch9ph <mon.yao@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Hi,
            > >
            > > I'm trying to implement this rule from a rule book :
            > >
            > > Quote "The wizard may also prepare one additional
            > > spell of her highest
            > > spell level each day."
            > >

            > > I could put a lot of PRESPELLTYPE (1 - 9) to
            > > implement this but I was
            > > hoping there was a more elegant solution.
            > >

            > Unfortunately the short answer is no you can't do it
            > any more eligantly that with PRExxx tags.
            >
            > The problem is even if there were a way to calculate
            > or get the max spell level the tag you need to
            > actually apply the bonus BONUS:SPELLCAST only accepts
            > an integer for the LEVEL= param.
            >
            > I would open (or request to be open) a FREQ to allow
            > this tag and its cousins to allow for this behaviour.
            >
            > -Aaron

            > http://mail.yahoo.com

          • Paul W. King
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 11, 2006
              [ 1468269 ] How to get the Spellcasting level
              http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1468269&group_id=25576&atid=384722

              Paul W. King
              PR SB, BoD
            • thoron-tir-gwaith@lycos.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 11, 2006
                > The problem is even if there were a way to calculate
                > or get the max spell level the tag you need to
                > actually apply the bonus BONUS:SPELLCAST only accepts
                > an integer for the LEVEL= param.
                >
                > I would open (or request to be open) a FREQ to allow
                > this tag and its cousins to allow for this behaviour.

                I'd like to see this, but twofold. One, easy way to figure out the maxlevel at the time of selection. Two, dynamic system that would change as the caster gained (or lost I suppose) spell level casting ability...

                My goodness, we still have a lot of Integer only stuff hidden in BONUS and other places.

                Tir Gwaith
                LST Chimp
              • taluroniscandar
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 11, 2006
                  > > > I'm trying to implement this rule from a rule book :
                  > > >
                  > > > Quote "The wizard may also prepare one additional
                  > > > spell of her highest
                  > > > spell level each day."
                  > > >

                  > > > I could put a lot of PRESPELLTYPE (1 - 9) to
                  > > > implement this but I was
                  > > > hoping there was a more elegant solution.

                  There is a MAXLEVEL var but it is not universal and I don't know where
                  all it works.
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 11, 2006
                    Checked by AVG Free Edition.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 11, 2006
                      (Sorry if this gets double posted....)

                      It's cumbersome but this is what I did, not pretty but works, I did this
                      a long while ago, so you can modify to take advantage of newer tags,
                      like PREMAXLEVEL etc.

                      I used this as a template:
                      BONUS:SPELLCAST|TYPE=Arcane;LEVEL=1|1|PRECLASS:1,Wizard=1
                      BONUS:SPELLCAST|TYPE=Arcane;LEVEL=1|-1|PRECLASS:1,Wizard=3
                      BONUS:SPELLCAST|TYPE=Arcane;LEVEL=2|1|PRECLASS:1,Wizard=3
                      BONUS:SPELLCAST|TYPE=Arcane;LEVEL=2|-1|PRECLASS:1,Wizard=5

                      Hope that helps you out.

                      Andrew
                      Doc Lemur

                      taluroniscandar wrote: > > > I'm trying to implement this rule from a
                      rule book :

                      > > > Quote "The wizard may also prepare one additional
                      > > > spell of her highest
                      > > > spell level each day."
                      > > >

                      > > > I could put a lot of PRESPELLTYPE (1 - 9) to
                      > > > implement this but I was
                      > > > hoping there was a more elegant solution.
                      > > >

                      >There is a MAXLEVEL var but it is not universal >and I don't know where
                      >all it works.

                      ---
                      Virus Database (VPS): 0615-1, 04/11/2006
                      Tested on: 4/11/2006 5:03:22 PM