[BUG] 5.8.1RC1 Modern bug question

  • Terry FitzSimons
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 8, 2006
      I just downloaded the RC2 for 5.8.1 and found the following when I started
      Modern Game mode full set. Has it been fixed for the final version.

      System Configuration Document doesn't seem to exist!
      Could not generate a +1 Bullet (9mm/50) as the equipment modifier could not
      be found.
      java.lang.NullPointerException
      at pcgen.core.Equipment.canAddModifier(Equipment.java:3867)
      at pcgen.core.Equipment.addEqModifier(Equipment.java:3494)
      at
      pcgen.core.EquipmentList.autogenerateMagicEquipment(EquipmentList.java:606)
      at
      pcgen.core.EquipmentList.autoGenerateEquipment(EquipmentList.java:536)
      at
      pcgen.persistence.lst.LstSystemLoader.loadCampaigns(LstSystemLoader.java:465)
      at
      pcgen.persistence.PersistenceManager.loadCampaigns(PersistenceManager.java:132)
      at pcgen.gui.MainSource.loadCampaigns(MainSource.java:980)
      at pcgen.gui.MainSource.access$2000(MainSource.java:111)
      at pcgen.gui.MainSource$19.construct(MainSource.java:1008)
      at pcgen.util.SwingWorker$2.run(SwingWorker.java:109)
      at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
      gmgen.pluginmgr.messages.StateChangedMessage[source=pcgen.gui.PCGen_Frame1[frame0,-4,-4,1032x745,invalid,layout=java.awt.BorderLayout,title=PCGen
      v. 5.8.1-RC2 - Modern
      Campaign,resizable,maximized,defaultCloseOperation=DO_NOTHING_ON_CLOSE,rootPane=javax.swing.JRootPane[,4,23,1024x718,layout=javax.swing.JRootPane$RootLayout,alignmentX=null,alignmentY=null,border=,flags=385,maximumSize=,minimumSize=,preferredSize=],rootPaneCheckingEnabled=true]]
      --

      Terry FitzSimons
      FITZSIMONS@...(Small Letters Only)
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 8, 2006

        The MSRD doesn't have enhancements to ammunition, so neither has the
        dataset.

        Looks like you're using Equipment Auto Creation and that tries to generate
        +1 ammunition anyway, and since it cannot find the EQMODS it gives out those
        messages.

        When I tested I only saw the message in debug mode. Are you seeing it in
        normal use?

        Cheerio,

        Frank Kliewe
        PCGen Data Chimp, OS & TM Lemur
        The Modern Monkey

        --
        By the authority vested in me by Kaiser William II, I pronounce you man and
        wife. Proceed with the execution. (Captain of 'Louisa' in "The African
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 9, 2006

          On Thu, 9 Feb 2006 02:22:14 +0100, you wrote:
          >The MSRD doesn't have enhancements to ammunition, so neither has the
          >dataset.
          >
          >Looks like you're using Equipment Auto Creation and that tries to generate
          >+1 ammunition anyway, and since it cannot find the EQMODS it gives out those
          >messages.
          >
          >When I tested I only saw the message in debug mode. Are you seeing it in
          >normal use?
          >
          >Cheerio,
          >
          >Frank Kliewe
          >PCGen Data Chimp, OS & TM Lemur
          >The Modern Monkey

          I noticed on the .bat file window that something was not loading correctly.
          Assumed that it was my test file and removed it from the startup, but
          noticed that there was still a problem.

          I just checked this morning and all of the problems seems to have
          disappeared finally, although I did have to change the setting for the
          equipment to get rid of the last one for the +1 Bullet.

          I think I brought this up before and got the same answer then as now Is
          there a setting in the Gamemode file that would override the Preferences
          setting to autogenerate all custom weapons? I have not checked the 3.5e
          characters to see what the change in settings caused, but with autogenerate
          turned off and the equipment not custom created, I will probably have a
          mess or errors there.

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 9, 2006

            > I noticed on the .bat file window that something was not
            > Assumed that it was my test file and removed it from the startup, but
            > noticed that there was still a problem.
            >
            > I just checked this morning and all of the problems seems to have
            > disappeared finally, although I did have to change the setting for the
            > equipment to get rid of the last one for the +1 Bullet.
            >
            > I think I brought this up before and got the same answer then
            > as now Is
            > there a setting in the Gamemode file that would override the
            > Preferences
            > setting to autogenerate all custom weapons? I have not
            > checked the 3.5e
            > characters to see what the change in settings caused, but
            > with autogenerate
            > turned off and the equipment not custom created, I will
            > probably have a
            > mess or errors there.
            > --
            >
            > Terry FitzSimons
            > FITZSIMONS@...(Small Letters Only)

            If there is a way in the GameMode file to override this, then I'm not aware
            of it.

            Do you experience any negative effects, when using the autogenerate setting
            with the Modern GameMode? I mean besides the magically enhanced ammunition
            not being created and getting those error messages?

            I wouldn't bother changing my favorite settings just because I'm getting a
            few messages in the command line window, if everything else works.

            Cheerio,

            Frank Kliewe
            PCGen Data Chimp, OS & TM Lemur
            The Modern Monkey

            --
            By the authority vested in me by Kaiser William II, I pronounce you man and
            wife. Proceed with the execution. (Captain of 'Louisa' in "The African
            Queen", 1951)
          • Andrew Wilson
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 9, 2006
              On Thu, Feb 09, 2006 at 10:50:38AM -0500, Terry FitzSimons wrote:
              > I think I brought this up before and got the same answer then as now Is
              > there a setting in the Gamemode file that would override the Preferences
              > setting to autogenerate all custom weapons? I have not checked the 3.5e
              > characters to see what the change in settings caused, but with autogenerate
              > turned off and the equipment not custom created, I will probably have a
              > mess or errors there.

              That setting has no effect (zilch, zuip,nada) on existing characters
              (who all have ny equipment that was added to them saved as part of their
              file) the only effect is whether you have to generate a piece of
              equipment before you give it to a character.

              andrew
              --
              Libra: (Sept. 23 - Oct. 23)
              It turns out that there are indeed mountains high enough and
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 9, 2006
                On Thu, 9 Feb 2006 22:20:23 +0100, you wrote:

                >If there is a way in the GameMode file to override this, then I'm not aware
                >of it.
                >
                >Do you experience any negative effects, when using the autogenerate setting
                >with the Modern GameMode? I mean besides the magically enhanced ammunition
                >not being created and getting those error messages?
                >
                >I wouldn't bother changing my favorite settings just because I'm getting a
                >few messages in the command line window, if everything else works.
                >
                >Cheerio,
                >
                >Frank Kliewe
                >PCGen Data Chimp, OS & TM Lemur
                >The Modern Monkey

                Well there is a problem with the RANK=3 test file, if the RANK=1 Core file
                doesn't load, and for me the core rules in Modern did not load and the
                error really didn't point out the loading stopped with the core. I ended
                up spending three hours committing out the test file, then the test.pcc was
                committed out, then I tried loading just the complete core and still got
                the same error that told me the problem was the core set, not the test
                load.

                But like I said, with the change in autogenerate equipment and the comments
                removed the test package at least loaded and gave the expected errors. So
                I'm back to coding and bug stepping.

                And I put a post-it note on the monitor to check the setting in the future,
                before I ask for help when it happens again.

                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 9, 2006
                  On Thu, 9 Feb 2006 22:41:29 +0000, you wrote:

                  >On Thu, Feb 09, 2006 at 10:50:38AM -0500, Terry FitzSimons wrote:
                  >> I think I brought this up before and got the same answer then as now Is
                  >> there a setting in the Gamemode file that would override the Preferences
                  >> setting to autogenerate all custom weapons? I have not checked the 3.5e
                  >> characters to see what the change in settings caused, but with autogenerate
                  >> turned off and the equipment not custom created, I will probably have a
                  >> mess or errors there.
                  >
                  >That setting has no effect (zilch, zuip,nada) on existing characters
                  >(who all have ny equipment that was added to them saved as part of their
                  >file) the only effect is whether you have to generate a piece of
                  >equipment before you give it to a character.
                  >
                  >andrew

                  That's good I wasn't looking forward to a long litany of "Can't find +1
                  Crossbow", "Can't find +1 Longsword", ect., the nest time I opened a
                  character.