RE: [PCGenListFileHelp] modifying skills

  • Barak
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 5, 2006
      #####
      Tag Name: BONUS:SKILLPOINTS|NUMBER|x

      Variables Used (x): Number (Number to add to skill level)

      What it does:
      Adds to the number of skill ranks gained when the character gains a level.
      Not retroactive.
      PRExxx tags may be used with this tag.

      Examples:
      BONUS:SKILLPOINTS|NUMBER|1
      Adds one skill point per level.

      BONUS:SKILLPOINTS|NUMBER|4|PRELEVELMAX:1
      Adds 4 additional skillpoints to the character at first level only, above
      and beyond any other skillpoints gained for race or class, etc.

      BONUS:SKILLPOINTS|NUMBER|6|PRELEVELMAX:3
      Adds 6 additional skillpoints to the character at first to third levels
      only, above and beyond any other skillpoints gained for race or class, etc.
      #####

      Put that in the feat and you're all set.

      Barak

    • Frank Kliewe
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 5, 2006

        You will need a main feat and several hidden sub-feats. The main feat uses
        ADD:FEAT to select the one eligible sub feat.

        The sub-feats will have to be set up to be eligible exactly at the one Smart
        level that the feat is added on, so they will need
        PREMULT:2,[PRECLASS:1,Smart=1],[PRELEVELMAX:Smart=1] etc. to be eligible at
        the exact level they are added on, (the PREMULT example is for 1st level)

        The sub-feats have bonuses like
        "BONUS:SKILLPOOL|CLASS=Smart;Level=1|2|PRECLASS:1,Smart=1" and so on up to
        level 10, so the sub-feat for level 1 needs 10 bonuses, one for every
        following level, while the sub-feat for level 7 only needs level 7-10
        covered by bonuses. The Bonuses will then fire only when the appropriate
        level has been reached.

        If this is a general feat, than a problem will be that you can add it even
        if you just raised another class, and it will then bonus the last level of
        smart that had been added previously. Your post didn't state how that would
        have to be handled.

        Cheerio,

        Frank Kliewe
        PCGen Data Chimp, OS & TM Lemur
        The Modern Monkey

        --
        By the authority vested in me by Kaiser William II, I pronounce you man and
        wife. Proceed with the execution. (Captain of 'Louisa' in "The African
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 5, 2006
          > You will need a main feat and several hidden sub-feats. The
          > main feat uses ADD:FEAT to select the one eligible sub feat.

          Why? That's way more involved than it needs to be, unless the tag I posted
          in my answer doesn't work as it's supposed to.

          Barak
        • Kevin Brown
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 5, 2006
            Barak wrote:
            >> You will need a main feat and several hidden sub-feats. The
            >> main feat uses ADD:FEAT to select the one eligible sub feat.
            >
            > Why? That's way more involved than it needs to be, unless the tag I posted
            > in my answer doesn't work as it's supposed to.

            Sounds like the issue is taking into account at what level the hero took
            the feat.

            e.g. did they take it at 1, 2, 3, 6, 9... etc...
          • Frank Kliewe
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 5, 2006

              Because he wants to bonus only Smart levels. BONUS:SKILLPOOL|NUMBER will add
              to the total but not tie the skillpoints to a class, which is needed to make
              sure that the points are spent with the correct set of Class
              skills/Cross-Class skills.

              It is my understanding that since BONUS:SKILLPOOL|CLASS=x;LEVEL=y|z does not
              add the points at the level it is added, but can do so from any level - even
              retroactively - if I used PRELEVELMAX or PRECLASSLEVELMAX on that bonus,
              once the character had exceeded the given level it would then simply drop
              the bonus and thus reduce the available skill points.

              Cheerio,

              Frank Kliewe
              PCGen Data Chimp, OS & TM Lemur
              The Modern Monkey

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 5, 2006
                > From: PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com
                > Because he wants to bonus only Smart levels.

                Ah, somehow I missed that little bit in there.

                Ugh, that is ugly. :p

                Barak