Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] modifying skills

  • Eddy Anthony
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 3, 2006
      On 2/3/06 10:26 AM, "Paul W. King" <paulking.rhochi@...> wrote:

      > 1) gain 2 extra skill points upon taking talent. every Smart level
      > thereafter gains 2 extra skill points/level
      >
      > 2) max ranks in Smart class skills are now 4 + character level instead
      > of 3 +
      >
      > 3) max ranks in cross class skills is now (3 + character level) *
      > 3/4...instead of 1/2
      >
      > 4) pick 3 Smart cross-class skills and make them class skills.
      >

      > I'm pretty sure #4 is possible, though I'd like a solution that
      > doesn't involve typing out all the cross-class skills.

      Yeah, #4 is doable.

      #2 and #3 are not, we can't adjust max levels. I thought I had opened a FREQ
      for this capability but I can't find it if I did.

      Ah, I posted it to experimental but didn't enter it :(
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pcgen_experimental/message/4204>

      I'll fix that
      [ 1423472 ] BONUS:SKILLMAXRANK|x,x|y
      <http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1423472&group_id=2
      5576&atid=384722>

      #1 sounds possible since you are adding to a specific class, if it were a
      feat which added to any class then probably not.
      --
      ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
      ~ PCGen Content Silverback
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 4, 2006
        How would you do this?

        #1 sounds possible since you are adding to a specific class, if it were a
        feat which added to any class then probably not.
      • Barak
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 5, 2006
          #####
          Tag Name: BONUS:SKILLPOINTS|NUMBER|x

          Variables Used (x): Number (Number to add to skill level)

          What it does:
          Adds to the number of skill ranks gained when the character gains a level.
          Not retroactive.
          PRExxx tags may be used with this tag.

          Examples:
          BONUS:SKILLPOINTS|NUMBER|1
          Adds one skill point per level.

          BONUS:SKILLPOINTS|NUMBER|4|PRELEVELMAX:1
          Adds 4 additional skillpoints to the character at first level only, above
          and beyond any other skillpoints gained for race or class, etc.

          BONUS:SKILLPOINTS|NUMBER|6|PRELEVELMAX:3
          Adds 6 additional skillpoints to the character at first to third levels
          only, above and beyond any other skillpoints gained for race or class, etc.
          #####

          Put that in the feat and you're all set.

          Barak

        • Frank Kliewe
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 5, 2006

            You will need a main feat and several hidden sub-feats. The main feat uses
            ADD:FEAT to select the one eligible sub feat.

            The sub-feats will have to be set up to be eligible exactly at the one Smart
            level that the feat is added on, so they will need
            PREMULT:2,[PRECLASS:1,Smart=1],[PRELEVELMAX:Smart=1] etc. to be eligible at
            the exact level they are added on, (the PREMULT example is for 1st level)

            The sub-feats have bonuses like
            "BONUS:SKILLPOOL|CLASS=Smart;Level=1|2|PRECLASS:1,Smart=1" and so on up to
            level 10, so the sub-feat for level 1 needs 10 bonuses, one for every
            following level, while the sub-feat for level 7 only needs level 7-10
            covered by bonuses. The Bonuses will then fire only when the appropriate
            level has been reached.

            If this is a general feat, than a problem will be that you can add it even
            if you just raised another class, and it will then bonus the last level of
            smart that had been added previously. Your post didn't state how that would
            have to be handled.

            Cheerio,

            Frank Kliewe
            PCGen Data Chimp, OS & TM Lemur
            The Modern Monkey

            --
            By the authority vested in me by Kaiser William II, I pronounce you man and
            wife. Proceed with the execution. (Captain of 'Louisa' in "The African
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 5, 2006
              > You will need a main feat and several hidden sub-feats. The
              > main feat uses ADD:FEAT to select the one eligible sub feat.

              Why? That's way more involved than it needs to be, unless the tag I posted
              in my answer doesn't work as it's supposed to.

              Barak
            • Kevin Brown
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 5, 2006
                Barak wrote:
                >> You will need a main feat and several hidden sub-feats. The
                >> main feat uses ADD:FEAT to select the one eligible sub feat.
                >
                > Why? That's way more involved than it needs to be, unless the tag I posted
                > in my answer doesn't work as it's supposed to.

                Sounds like the issue is taking into account at what level the hero took
                the feat.

                e.g. did they take it at 1, 2, 3, 6, 9... etc...
              • Frank Kliewe
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 5, 2006

                  Because he wants to bonus only Smart levels. BONUS:SKILLPOOL|NUMBER will add
                  to the total but not tie the skillpoints to a class, which is needed to make
                  sure that the points are spent with the correct set of Class
                  skills/Cross-Class skills.

                  It is my understanding that since BONUS:SKILLPOOL|CLASS=x;LEVEL=y|z does not
                  add the points at the level it is added, but can do so from any level - even
                  retroactively - if I used PRELEVELMAX or PRECLASSLEVELMAX on that bonus,
                  once the character had exceeded the given level it would then simply drop
                  the bonus and thus reduce the available skill points.

                  Cheerio,

                  Frank Kliewe
                  PCGen Data Chimp, OS & TM Lemur
                  The Modern Monkey

                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 5, 2006
                    > From: PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com
                    > Because he wants to bonus only Smart levels.

                    Ah, somehow I missed that little bit in there.

                    Ugh, that is ugly. :p

                    Barak