Template assignment in Race/Kit choices

  • Celondon
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 5, 2006
      I'm trying to assign a Template based on a Race Pick. Specifically,
      the player chooses a Race, and it asks him to choose a Region. That
      Region selection should then assign a Template to the character.

      Things I've tried:
      <i>TEMPLATE:CHOOSE:FooA|FooB|FooC</i> in the Race File (instead of
      Region) and that did not work -- the template choice never came up.
      ===

      <i><Race File>
      REGION:1|Foo1|Foo2|Foo3
      <Kit File>
      REGION:Foo1
      STARTPACK:Foo1Template
      TEMPLATE:FooA
      REGION:Foo2
      STARTPACK:Foo2Template
      TEMPLATE:FooB
      REGION:Foo2
      STARTPACK:Foo2Template
      TEMPLATE:FooB</i>

      In this case, the player chooses the Region properly, but the Template
      is not auto assigned.

      The help text reads:
      <i>*** New 5.9.2

      Tag Name: TEMPLATE:x|x

      Variables Used (x): Text (Name of template)

      What it does:

      This is a | (pipe) delimited list of templates that are granted by the
      feat.

      Example:

      TEMPLATE:Celestial

      Adds the "Celestial" template to the character.</i>

      So, I am pretty sure my formatting is correct. Have I encountered a
      bug, or am I doing something incorrectly?
    • Eddy Anthony
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 5, 2006
        On 1/5/06 3:37 PM, "Celondon" <fgrubb@...> wrote:

        > I'm trying to assign a Template based on a Race Pick. Specifically,
        > the player chooses a Race, and it asks him to choose a Region. That
        > Region selection should then assign a Template to the character.
        >
        > Things I've tried:
        > <i>TEMPLATE:CHOOSE:FooA|FooB|FooC</i> in the Race File (instead of
        > Region) and that did not work -- the template choice never came up.

        TEMPLATE:CHOOSE is a template tag, which is probably why it is not firing.
        What you could do is have a base template that is assigned by the race and
        then put the TEMPLATE:CHOOSE in that.
        --
        ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
        ~ PCGen Content Silverback
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 5, 2006
          --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Eddy Anthony <eddyba@m...>
          wrote:

          > On 1/5/06 3:37 PM, "Celondon" <fgrubb@m...> wrote:
          >
          > > I'm trying to assign a Template based on a Race Pick. Specifically,
          > > the player chooses a Race, and it asks him to choose a Region. That
          > > Region selection should then assign a Template to the character.
          > >
          > > Things I've tried:
          > > <i>TEMPLATE:CHOOSE:FooA|FooB|FooC</i> in the Race File (instead of
          > > Region) and that did not work -- the template choice never came up.
          >
          > TEMPLATE:CHOOSE is a template tag, which is probably why it is not
          firing.
          > What you could do is have a base template that is assigned by the
          race and
          > then put the TEMPLATE:CHOOSE in that.
          > --
          > ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
          > ~ PCGen Content Silverback

          Ah! That would make sense, I suppose. The Documentation has
          TEMPLATE:CHOOSE as usable in the Race file
          (file:///C:/pcgen594/pcgen594/docs/listfilepages/datafilestagpages/datafilesraces.html#TEMPLATECHOOSE)
          which is where I got confused. Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a
          whirl.