Hit Die as a Formula?

  • Celondon
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 4, 2006
      In 1st edition AD&D, there were a couple classes that had formula for
      Hit Dice at first level. The Ranger had 2d8 hp at level 1, while the
      Monk had 2d4.

      In my current campaign, I want a class to have 2d4 as a HD per level.
      In other words, it would roll a 4 sided die twice, add the results,
      then apply any Con, feat or race bonuses.

      According to the documentation, the HD tag only takes a single integer
      argument. Is that really the case, or is it possible to put a formula
      in for that tag?
    • Paul W. King
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 5, 2006
        I think its possible, but it'll probably be *very* ugly. I know that
        CMP has implemented Savave Species style monster classes with HD that
        don't implement with every level. However, I'm not sure how to do what
        you're talking about.

        Paul W. King
        OGL/PL/TM Chimp, Data Gibbon
      • Celondon
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 5, 2006
          <paulking.rhochi@v...> wrote:

          > I think its possible, but it'll probably be *very* ugly. I know that
          > CMP has implemented Savave Species style monster classes with HD that
          > don't implement with every level. However, I'm not sure how to do what
          > you're talking about.
          >
          > Paul W. King
          > OGL/PL/TM Chimp, Data Gibbon

          I was reading through the docs and thinking it might be doable using a
          roll statement, then a .MOD to the HD at each level increase. Ugly,
          and probably not what I want even if it works (questionable) but worth
          investigating, I think.

          I might just stick with 'User Entered Hit Points' :)
        • Eddy Anthony
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 5, 2006
            On 1/5/06 2:42 PM, "Celondon" <fgrubb@...> wrote:

            > I was reading through the docs and thinking it might be doable using a
            > roll statement, then a .MOD to the HD at each level increase. Ugly,
            > and probably not what I want even if it works (questionable) but worth
            > investigating, I think.

            Nope, roll() is only useful in places where the number is generated once and
            never re-evaluated (mostly in kits). In classes, races and most other
            objects the formulas are re-evaluated each time changes are made in the GUI
            (or something along those lines). So even if HD took a JEP formula (and I
            don't think it does) you would get a different result every time you looked
            at it.

            This is the kind of thing I would just do with real dice and adjust the hit
            points manually, there's a button in the summary tab which gives you access
            to the hit point rolls.
            --
            ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
            ~ PCGen Content Silverback