RE: [PCGenListFileHelp] druid wild shape templates

  • Paul Grosse
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 6, 2005

      > Who's working on the druid wild shape templates? I got couple
      > of questions. Should the animal wild shape have type:animal
      > and template:animal? Ditto for elemental as well as the
      > air,earth,fire and water template? Reason I'm asking is some
      > spells are dependent on type such as animal growth and bane stuff.

      The Type doesn't change when wildshaping. The rules are VERY explicit on
      that :)

      Paul G.
    • James Blakeney
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 6, 2005
        Another question. My medium druid get oversized natural attacks when
        one of these templates is slapped on. Is there a way to automatically
        adjust for pcsize on bonus weaponprof naturalattacks pcsize?
        --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Grosse"
        <paul.grosse@m...> wrote:

        > > Who's working on the druid wild shape templates? I got couple
        > > of questions. Should the animal wild shape have type:animal
        > > and template:animal? Ditto for elemental as well as the
        > > air,earth,fire and water template? Reason I'm asking is some
        > > spells are dependent on type such as animal growth and bane stuff.
        > >

        > The Type doesn't change when wildshaping. The rules are VERY explicit on
        > that :)
        >
        > Paul G.
      • James Blakeney
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 6, 2005
          How ya get that. I just checked. It say as polymorph. Checked
          polymorph and it say your type and subtype change to match the new
          form. Now the wild shape does say you retain your humanoid subtype
          while in elemental forms. So I'll say TEMPLATE:animal or elemental
          ought to be fine
          <paul.grosse@m...> wrote:

          > > Who's working on the druid wild shape templates? I got couple
          > > of questions. Should the animal wild shape have type:animal
          > > and template:animal? Ditto for elemental as well as the
          > > air,earth,fire and water template? Reason I'm asking is some
          > > spells are dependent on type such as animal growth and bane stuff.
          > >

          > The Type doesn't change when wildshaping. The rules are VERY explicit on
          > that :)
          >
          > Paul G.
        • Paul Grosse
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 6, 2005

            > How ya get that. I just checked. It say as polymorph. Checked
            > polymorph and it say your type and subtype change to match
            > the new form. Now the wild shape does say you retain your
            > humanoid subtype while in elemental forms. So I'll say
            > TEMPLATE:animal or elemental ought to be fine

            Wild Shape (Su): <blah, blah> This ability functions like the polymorph
            spell, except as noted here. The effect lasts for 1 hour per druid
            level, or until she changes back. Changing form (to animal or back) is a
            standard action and doesn't provoke an attack of opportunity.
            The form chosen must be that of an animal the druid is familiar with.
            <more blah>
            At 16th level, a druid becomes able to use wild shape to change into a
            Small, Medium, or Large elemental (air, earth, fire, or water) once per
            day. These elemental forms are in addition to her normal wild shape
            usage. In addition to the normal effects of wild shape, the druid gains
            all the elemental's extraordinary, supernatural, and spell-like
            abilities. She also gains the elemental's feats for as long as she
            maintains the wild shape, but she retains her own creature type.

            Hmmmm, It doesn't say about the animal type. It does say that her type
            stays the same when transformed into an elemental.

            And the spell "Polymorph" does say the type changes. I am sure I read
            somewhere that the druid's creature type stays the same. Maybe it was in
            a Sage Advice somewhere.

            Paul G.
          • Paul Grosse
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 6, 2005

              > > How ya get that. I just checked. It say as polymorph. Checked
              > > polymorph and it say your type and subtype change to match the new
              > > form. Now the wild shape does say you retain your humanoid subtype
              > > while in elemental forms. So I'll say TEMPLATE:animal or elemental
              > > ought to be fine
              >
              > Wild Shape (Su): <blah, blah> This ability functions like the
              <snip>

              Aha, found it. The spell Polymorph Self in 3.0 says this.

              The character retains his or her Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma
              scores, level and class, hit points (despite any change in the
              character's Constitution score), alignment, base attack bonus, and base
              saves. (New Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution scores may affect
              final attack and save bonuses.) The character retains his or her own
              type, extraordinary abilities, spells, and spell-like abilities, but not
              its supernatural abilities.

              They changed that in 3.5, and I neglected to notice this.

              Paul G.