druid wild shape templates

  • James Blakeney
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 6, 2005
      Who's working on the druid wild shape templates? I got couple of
      questions. Should the animal wild shape have type:animal and
      template:animal? Ditto for elemental as well as the air,earth,fire and
      water template? Reason I'm asking is some spells are dependent on type
      such as animal growth and bane stuff.
    • Paul Grosse
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 6, 2005

        > Who's working on the druid wild shape templates? I got couple
        > of questions. Should the animal wild shape have type:animal
        > and template:animal? Ditto for elemental as well as the
        > air,earth,fire and water template? Reason I'm asking is some
        > spells are dependent on type such as animal growth and bane stuff.

        The Type doesn't change when wildshaping. The rules are VERY explicit on
        that :)

        Paul G.
      • James Blakeney
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 6, 2005
          Another question. My medium druid get oversized natural attacks when
          one of these templates is slapped on. Is there a way to automatically
          adjust for pcsize on bonus weaponprof naturalattacks pcsize?
          --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Grosse"
          <paul.grosse@m...> wrote:

          > > Who's working on the druid wild shape templates? I got couple
          > > of questions. Should the animal wild shape have type:animal
          > > and template:animal? Ditto for elemental as well as the
          > > air,earth,fire and water template? Reason I'm asking is some
          > > spells are dependent on type such as animal growth and bane stuff.
          > >

          > The Type doesn't change when wildshaping. The rules are VERY explicit on
          > that :)
          >
          > Paul G.
        • James Blakeney
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 6, 2005
            How ya get that. I just checked. It say as polymorph. Checked
            polymorph and it say your type and subtype change to match the new
            form. Now the wild shape does say you retain your humanoid subtype
            while in elemental forms. So I'll say TEMPLATE:animal or elemental
            ought to be fine
            <paul.grosse@m...> wrote:

            > > Who's working on the druid wild shape templates? I got couple
            > > of questions. Should the animal wild shape have type:animal
            > > and template:animal? Ditto for elemental as well as the
            > > air,earth,fire and water template? Reason I'm asking is some
            > > spells are dependent on type such as animal growth and bane stuff.
            > >

            > The Type doesn't change when wildshaping. The rules are VERY explicit on
            > that :)
            >
            > Paul G.
          • Paul Grosse
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 6, 2005

              > How ya get that. I just checked. It say as polymorph. Checked
              > polymorph and it say your type and subtype change to match
              > the new form. Now the wild shape does say you retain your
              > humanoid subtype while in elemental forms. So I'll say
              > TEMPLATE:animal or elemental ought to be fine

              Wild Shape (Su): <blah, blah> This ability functions like the polymorph
              spell, except as noted here. The effect lasts for 1 hour per druid
              level, or until she changes back. Changing form (to animal or back) is a
              standard action and doesn't provoke an attack of opportunity.
              The form chosen must be that of an animal the druid is familiar with.
              <more blah>
              At 16th level, a druid becomes able to use wild shape to change into a
              Small, Medium, or Large elemental (air, earth, fire, or water) once per
              day. These elemental forms are in addition to her normal wild shape
              usage. In addition to the normal effects of wild shape, the druid gains
              all the elemental's extraordinary, supernatural, and spell-like
              abilities. She also gains the elemental's feats for as long as she
              maintains the wild shape, but she retains her own creature type.

              Hmmmm, It doesn't say about the animal type. It does say that her type
              stays the same when transformed into an elemental.

              And the spell "Polymorph" does say the type changes. I am sure I read
              somewhere that the druid's creature type stays the same. Maybe it was in
              a Sage Advice somewhere.

              Paul G.
            • Paul Grosse
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 6, 2005

                > > How ya get that. I just checked. It say as polymorph. Checked
                > > polymorph and it say your type and subtype change to match the new
                > > form. Now the wild shape does say you retain your humanoid subtype
                > > while in elemental forms. So I'll say TEMPLATE:animal or elemental
                > > ought to be fine
                >
                > Wild Shape (Su): <blah, blah> This ability functions like the
                <snip>

                Aha, found it. The spell Polymorph Self in 3.0 says this.

                The character retains his or her Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma
                scores, level and class, hit points (despite any change in the
                character's Constitution score), alignment, base attack bonus, and base
                saves. (New Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution scores may affect
                final attack and save bonuses.) The character retains his or her own
                type, extraordinary abilities, spells, and spell-like abilities, but not
                its supernatural abilities.

                They changed that in 3.5, and I neglected to notice this.

                Paul G.