Re: Support for Palladium Books Rifts Platfom

  • taluroniscandar
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 5, 2005
      <paulking.rhochi@v...> wrote:
      > > PCGen might be able to be altered to work with that system (new game
      > > mode + rules), but would not be able to distribute any files with
      > > information from the Rifts books unless Palladium released
      > > the data under a license (similar to the OGL for the SRD/RSRD for
      > > D20).

      This has come up before (maybe search the archives at the main pcgen
      site) and the concensus was that a Rifts pcgen gamemode could be done.
      There was some discussion of the licensing and people said to check
      Palladiums web/fan distribution policy. Unless it's changed, it didn't
      allow for outside work. 'Course that was, what, two-three years (back
      in the 2.x days). It may have changed. I suggest checking that policy
      on Palladiums website first to see what it says now.
    • Paul Grosse
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 5, 2005

        > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Paul W. King"
        > <paulking.rhochi@v...> wrote:
        > > > PCGen might be able to be altered to work with that
        > system (new game
        > > > mode + rules), but would not be able to distribute any files with
        > > > information from the Rifts books unless Palladium
        > released the data
        > > > under a license (similar to the OGL for the SRD/RSRD for D20).
        >
        > This has come up before (maybe search the archives at the main pcgen
        > site) and the concensus was that a Rifts pcgen gamemode could be done.
        > There was some discussion of the licensing and people said to
        > check Palladiums web/fan distribution policy. Unless it's
        > changed, it didn't allow for outside work. 'Course that was,
        > what, two-three years (back in the 2.x days). It may have
        > changed. I suggest checking that policy on Palladiums website
        > first to see what it says now.

        But what could be done is have a separate group work on making the
        set/gamemode etc. and then once we have a proof of concept, we can show
        it to Palladium and say "We'd like to release a set for creating
        characters for your universe. Here is how it would work." Kinda the same
        idea's behind the B5 project.

        Paul G.
      • taluroniscandar
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 5, 2005
          > > This has come up before (maybe search the archives at the main pcgen
          > > site) and the concensus was that a Rifts pcgen gamemode could be done.
          > > There was some discussion of the licensing and people said to
          > > check Palladiums web/fan distribution policy. Unless it's
          > > changed, it didn't allow for outside work. 'Course that was,
          > > what, two-three years (back in the 2.x days). It may have
          > > changed. I suggest checking that policy on Palladiums website
          > > first to see what it says now.

          > But what could be done is have a separate group work on making the
          > set/gamemode etc. and then once we have a proof of concept, we can show
          > it to Palladium and say "We'd like to release a set for creating
          > characters for your universe. Here is how it would work."

          You still might want to check Palladium's policy first. They are very
          strict about "only what we ask for". There is at least one magazine I
          know of that they asked not to do reviews of their products. The mag
          posted a vetting statement to tell indepedant reviewers not to waste
          their time.

          And, no, it wasn't because they were getting bad reviews.

          > Kinda the same idea's behind the B5 project.

          The B5 project?
        • Paul Grosse
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 5, 2005
            > > > This has come up before (maybe search the archives at the
            > main pcgen
            > > > site) and the concensus was that a Rifts pcgen gamemode
            > could be done.
            > > > There was some discussion of the licensing and people
            > said to check
            > > > Palladiums web/fan distribution policy. Unless it's changed, it
            > > > didn't allow for outside work. 'Course that was, what, two-three
            > > > years (back in the 2.x days). It may have changed. I suggest
            > > > checking that policy on Palladiums website first to see
            > what it says
            > > > now.
            >
            > > But what could be done is have a separate group work on making the
            > > set/gamemode etc. and then once we have a proof of concept, we can
            > > show it to Palladium and say "We'd like to release a set
            > for creating
            > > characters for your universe. Here is how it would work."
            >
            > You still might want to check Palladium's policy first. They
            > are very strict about "only what we ask for". There is at
            > least one magazine I know of that they asked not to do
            > reviews of their products. The mag posted a vetting statement
            > to tell indepedant reviewers not to waste their time.
            >
            > And, no, it wasn't because they were getting bad reviews.
            >
            > > Kinda the same idea's behind the B5 project.
            >
            > The B5 project?

            Babylon 5
          • taluroniscandar
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 6, 2005

              > > > Kinda the same idea's behind the B5 project.
              > >
              > > The B5 project?
              > >

              > Babylon 5

              Er, yeah, knew that. Should've been more specific.

              Do you mean the original project to sell the show?

              Or is someone working on a pcgen gamemode for B5?
            • david allan finch
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 6, 2005
                taluroniscandar wrote:
                > Or is someone working on a pcgen gamemode for B5?

                Yep ;)