Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] Support for Palladium Books Rifts Platfom

  • David M. Bebber
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 4, 2005
      I created a Palladium character generator in Visual Basic a few years
      ago (when I was first dabbling in the art) and submitted it to the
      company. They replied that they already had a similar project in the
      works, and so would not even look at my submission... a kinda "thanks, but
      no thanks."

      As that was about 5 years ago it might be worth approaching them again
      with our little opensource app. (...especially with the ENnies as
      Streetcred. )

      :)

      On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 19:48:48 -0500, Kevin Brown <kevin_brown@...>
      wrote:

      >> I'm not sure if anyone here has ever heard of Rifts but it's an awsome
      >> RPG made by Palladium Books,the same people that made the Robotech RPG.
      >> The URL to the main site is: http://www.palladiumbooks.com/
      >> I'm willing to offer any help I can if the developers wish.
      >
      > Played it ages ago. PCGen might be able to be altered to work with that
      > system (new game mode + rules), but would not be able to distribute any
      > files with information from the Rifts books unless Palladium released
      > the data under a license (similar to the OGL for the SRD/RSRD for D20).
      > So you would have to do all the data file coding yourself to avoid
      > copyright infringement problems.
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Paul W. King
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 5, 2005
        > PCGen might be able to be altered to work with that system (new game
        > mode + rules), but would not be able to distribute any files with
        > information from the Rifts books unless Palladium released
        > the data under a license (similar to the OGL for the SRD/RSRD for
        > D20).

        Well, if PCGen got a special license from Palladium to distribute,
        then we could as well. Just having a Reference Document does make it
        easier.

        Paul W. King
        OGL/PL/TM Chimp, Data Gibbon
      • taluroniscandar
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 5, 2005
          <paulking.rhochi@v...> wrote:
          > > PCGen might be able to be altered to work with that system (new game
          > > mode + rules), but would not be able to distribute any files with
          > > information from the Rifts books unless Palladium released
          > > the data under a license (similar to the OGL for the SRD/RSRD for
          > > D20).

          This has come up before (maybe search the archives at the main pcgen
          site) and the concensus was that a Rifts pcgen gamemode could be done.
          There was some discussion of the licensing and people said to check
          Palladiums web/fan distribution policy. Unless it's changed, it didn't
          allow for outside work. 'Course that was, what, two-three years (back
          in the 2.x days). It may have changed. I suggest checking that policy
          on Palladiums website first to see what it says now.
        • Paul Grosse
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 5, 2005

            > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Paul W. King"
            > <paulking.rhochi@v...> wrote:
            > > > PCGen might be able to be altered to work with that
            > system (new game
            > > > mode + rules), but would not be able to distribute any files with
            > > > information from the Rifts books unless Palladium
            > released the data
            > > > under a license (similar to the OGL for the SRD/RSRD for D20).
            >
            > This has come up before (maybe search the archives at the main pcgen
            > site) and the concensus was that a Rifts pcgen gamemode could be done.
            > There was some discussion of the licensing and people said to
            > check Palladiums web/fan distribution policy. Unless it's
            > changed, it didn't allow for outside work. 'Course that was,
            > what, two-three years (back in the 2.x days). It may have
            > changed. I suggest checking that policy on Palladiums website
            > first to see what it says now.

            But what could be done is have a separate group work on making the
            set/gamemode etc. and then once we have a proof of concept, we can show
            it to Palladium and say "We'd like to release a set for creating
            characters for your universe. Here is how it would work." Kinda the same
            idea's behind the B5 project.

            Paul G.
          • taluroniscandar
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 5, 2005
              > > This has come up before (maybe search the archives at the main pcgen
              > > site) and the concensus was that a Rifts pcgen gamemode could be done.
              > > There was some discussion of the licensing and people said to
              > > check Palladiums web/fan distribution policy. Unless it's
              > > changed, it didn't allow for outside work. 'Course that was,
              > > what, two-three years (back in the 2.x days). It may have
              > > changed. I suggest checking that policy on Palladiums website
              > > first to see what it says now.

              > But what could be done is have a separate group work on making the
              > set/gamemode etc. and then once we have a proof of concept, we can show
              > it to Palladium and say "We'd like to release a set for creating
              > characters for your universe. Here is how it would work."

              You still might want to check Palladium's policy first. They are very
              strict about "only what we ask for". There is at least one magazine I
              know of that they asked not to do reviews of their products. The mag
              posted a vetting statement to tell indepedant reviewers not to waste
              their time.

              And, no, it wasn't because they were getting bad reviews.

              > Kinda the same idea's behind the B5 project.

              The B5 project?
            • Paul Grosse
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 5, 2005
                > > > This has come up before (maybe search the archives at the
                > main pcgen
                > > > site) and the concensus was that a Rifts pcgen gamemode
                > could be done.
                > > > There was some discussion of the licensing and people
                > said to check
                > > > Palladiums web/fan distribution policy. Unless it's changed, it
                > > > didn't allow for outside work. 'Course that was, what, two-three
                > > > years (back in the 2.x days). It may have changed. I suggest
                > > > checking that policy on Palladiums website first to see
                > what it says
                > > > now.
                >
                > > But what could be done is have a separate group work on making the
                > > set/gamemode etc. and then once we have a proof of concept, we can
                > > show it to Palladium and say "We'd like to release a set
                > for creating
                > > characters for your universe. Here is how it would work."
                >
                > You still might want to check Palladium's policy first. They
                > are very strict about "only what we ask for". There is at
                > least one magazine I know of that they asked not to do
                > reviews of their products. The mag posted a vetting statement
                > to tell indepedant reviewers not to waste their time.
                >
                > And, no, it wasn't because they were getting bad reviews.
                >
                > > Kinda the same idea's behind the B5 project.
                >
                > The B5 project?

                Babylon 5
              • taluroniscandar
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 6, 2005

                  > > > Kinda the same idea's behind the B5 project.
                  > >
                  > > The B5 project?
                  > >

                  > Babylon 5

                  Er, yeah, knew that. Should've been more specific.

                  Do you mean the original project to sell the show?

                  Or is someone working on a pcgen gamemode for B5?
                • david allan finch
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 6, 2005
                    taluroniscandar wrote:
                    > Or is someone working on a pcgen gamemode for B5?

                    Yep ;)