Paladin gets Negative Level with Holy Weapon. Just me ?

  • Eric Blische
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2005
      (PCGEN 5.6.1, with 3.5 RSRD and a bunch of the Code Monkey
      add-ons: Defenders of the Faith, Book of Hallowed Might, etc.)

      Hi, I created a Lawful Good (Naturally) Paladin 7
      with 5 levels of Knight of the Pale Prestige Class
      from Book of Hallowed Might.

      Then I equipped him with a +1, Icy Burst, Holy
      Great Sledge (I added the Great Sledge weapon,
      copying and pasting the Heavy Flail and changing
      it minutely).

      Trouble is I get a bunch of -1's on saves and
      to hit. C'mon, he's holy ! Believe me ! :) I
      suspected a negative level, so I put the weapon
      in the merely "Carried" location and the -1's all
      went away.

      So I go into the srd35 directory and edit the
      file rsrd_equipmods_enhancing.lst ... it has
      a PREALIGN of, "2,5,8" which I presumed was wrong
      'cause the Paladin has a PREALIGN of 0 (I checked
      the base class list file for Paladin).

      I tried adding 0 to the list ... no change ...
      then made the list "0,1,2", for fun, no change.

      Grrr ... so I changed the negative level amount
      from 1 to 0 (negative levels) and everything works
      now. A kludge. But what did I do wrong before that ?

      I "SEARCHED" for PREALIGN then HOLY but didn't see
      this specific topic ever discussed.

      Just curious. Thanks !
      Eric
    • Eddy Anthony
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2005
        Eric Blische scribed:

        > (PCGEN 5.6.1, with 3.5 RSRD and a bunch of the Code Monkey
        > add-ons: Defenders of the Faith, Book of Hallowed Might, etc.)

        OK stop right there, The Open Source RSRD files and any made by CMP are not
        compatible and if you are using them together errors like this are bound to
        crop up.

        Having said that I seem to recall from the misty past that there was a bug
        with PREALIGN at one time but it's hard to say, it was so long ago.
        --
        ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
        ~ PCGen Content Silverback
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 3, 2005
          --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Eddy Anthony <eddyba@m...>
          wrote:
          > Eric Blische scribed:
          >
          > > (PCGEN 5.6.1, with 3.5 RSRD and a bunch of the Code Monkey
          > > add-ons: Defenders of the Faith, Book of Hallowed Might, etc.)
          >
          > OK stop right there, The Open Source RSRD files and any made by CMP
          are not
          > compatible and if you are using them together errors like this are
          bound to
          > crop up.
          >
          > Having said that I seem to recall from the misty past that there was
          a bug
          > with PREALIGN at one time but it's hard to say, it was so long ago.

          I remember - PREALIGN was applying backwards.

          Eric, try putting !PREALIGN:2,5,8 and see if it works correctly.

          If it does then likely the backwards problem on PREALIGN has crept
          back in.

          BTW, PREALIGN:2,5,8 is correct - the megative level is only supposed
          to apply to evil alignments which 2, 5 and 8 are lawful evil, nuetral
          evil and chaotic evil.
        • taluroniscandar
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 3, 2005
            > > (PCGEN 5.6.1,

            Wait, I didn't notice this before ... I believe the PREALIGN checking
            reversed problem was fixed in 5.7.
          • Reed Thornton
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 3, 2005
              On 10/3/05, taluroniscandar <mhgj@...> wrote:

              > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Eddy Anthony <eddyba@m...>
              > wrote:
              > > Eric Blische scribed:
              > >
              > > > (PCGEN 5.6.1, with 3.5 RSRD and a bunch of the Code Monkey

              I remember - PREALIGN was applying backwards.

              > Eric, try putting !PREALIGN:2,5,8 and see if it works correctly.
              >
              > If it does then likely the backwards problem on PREALIGN has crept
              > back in.
              >
              > BTW, PREALIGN:2,5,8 is correct - the megative level is only supposed
              > to apply to evil alignments which 2, 5 and 8 are lawful evil, nuetral
              > evil and chaotic evil.

              It's not creeping back in... he's using an old version that still has it.
              Reed