Core plugins version standalone (GMGen) plugins

  • Éric Beaudoin
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 18, 2005
      Hi everyone,
      The 5.9.3 release is without a doubt the Plugins-Galore release :-). Before
      that, there was only one plugin that needed to be included with the minimal
      distribution and it was CharacterSheet.jar. Now, there is a truckload of new
      stuff, no new subdir that I can see and I'm not really sure what to include.
      I guess the ExportTokes, LstTokens and GameMode plugins should all be
      included with the bare bone release. Anything else?
      Also, do we really have to put them all in the same directory? I feel we
      should have one directory per plugin or plugin type. It's kind of a mess.
      Best

      --
      Éric "Space Monkey" Beaudoin
      Release Monkey and Syntax Watchdog
      >> In space, no one can hear you sleep.
      <mailto:eric.beaudoin@...>

    • Devon Jones
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 19, 2005
        Éric Beaudoin wrote:

        >Hi everyone,
        > The 5.9.3 release is without a doubt the Plugins-Galore release :-). Before
        >that, there was only one plugin that needed to be included with the minimal
        >distribution and it was CharacterSheet.jar. Now, there is a truckload of new
        >stuff, no new subdir that I can see and I'm not really sure what to include.
        >I guess the ExportTokes, LstTokens and GameMode plugins should all be
        >included with the bare bone release. Anything else?
        > Also, do we really have to put them all in the same directory? I feel we
        >should have one directory per plugin or plugin type. It's kind of a mess.
        > Best

        ok, yes, I can look into creating a token plugin dir. But, simply put
        as time goes on, more and more of the functionality of pcgen will come
        from it's plugins. For the ones that are not necessary I will do my
        best to set up a plugin manager - hopefully I can get that into the 6.0
        scope.

        At this point, GMGen is essentially a dead concept. There is pcgen, and
        it has plugins Some are good for GMs, some are good for players. ;-)

        Devon
      • Éric Beaudoin
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 19, 2005
          At 11:48 2005.09.19, Devon Jones wrote:
          >ok, yes, I can look into creating a token plugin dir. But, simply put
          >as time goes on, more and more of the functionality of pcgen will come
          >from it's plugins. For the ones that are not necessary I will do my
          >best to set up a plugin manager - hopefully I can get that into the 6.0
          >scope.
          >
          >At this point, GMGen is essentially a dead concept. There is pcgen, and
          >it has plugins Some are good for GMs, some are good for players. ;-)

          I'm not looking for a plugin manager (although it would certainly be cool), I'm just looking for some organization i.e. put plugins or groups of similar plugins in separate dir with maybe a text file that tells us what the dir do. Some plugin need addition files anyway so it make sense to keep them separated. The sources should also be separated (if it's not already done) since each plugins/group of plugins should be a separate module in CVS.

          This is just a organizational suggestion.

          As for core versus non-core plugin, what I mean is that some plugin are required (like the Token and Gamemode) while other will not prevent PCGen from working (like the Dicebag and the other plugin that used to be GMGen). Which ones are required?

          Éric "Space Monkey" Beaudoin
          Release Monkey and Syntax Watchdog
          >> In space, no one can hear you sleep.
          <mailto:beaudoer@...>
        • Devon Jones
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 19, 2005
            Éric Beaudoin wrote:

            >I'm not looking for a plugin manager (although it would certainly be cool), I'm just looking for some organization i.e. put plugins or groups of similar plugins in separate dir with maybe a text file that tells us what the dir do. Some plugin need addition files anyway so it make sense to keep them separated. The sources should also be separated (if it's not already done) since each plugins/group of plugins should be a separate module in CVS.

            ok, so first off - I have done the first part of this. Larger plugins
            that add functionality are in the plugins folder, and if they have data
            directories those dirs are in the plugin folder. This is how it has
            historically been. Now, there are two more folders, outputplugins and
            lstplugins. Output tokens go in outputplugins, lst tokens of all
            flavors go in the lstplugins folder (in the future we will also have
            bonusplugins and preplugins, potentially more).

            Hope that works. As it stands, you can have any folder in plugins, and
            so long as it has the name "plugin" in the folder name, it can store
            plugin jars. We can look at text files if we like.

            That work fer ya?

            >This is just a organizational suggestion.
            >
            >As for core versus non-core plugin, what I mean is that some plugin are required (like the Token and Gamemode) while other will not prevent PCGen from working (like the Dicebag and the other plugin that used to be GMGen). Which ones are required?

            At this point, all the ones in outputplugins and lstplugins are the
            required ones for the existing data. I suggest if we ever have vendor
            plugins, or other things of that nature, they go in a folder named
            'vendor'plugins.

            We do have one deprecated plugin, I may create a new folder for that, so
            it's clear what is no longer formally supported.

            All that work?

            Devon