How to read a value from the registry

  • Mariano <el_che_guevara@hotmail.com>
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 22, 2003
      Hi Ross i upload a small EVb project that demostrate how to read a
      value from the registry, in this case it's this value:

      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\PMail\Attachments\TopDir

      This is where the name for the "Program Files" folder is stored. I
      tested it with my pocket pc 2002 (in spanish) and i got the correct
      value i also tested it with the pocket pc 2002 emulator that comes
      with the ppc 2002 sdk and it worked fine (that one is in english).

      I hope this help, Thanks a lot Ross and keep up with your excelent
      work.

      Greeting, Mariano.
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 22, 2003
        Did you search the entire registry? I would like to find an entry that's
        more "standard" ... that looks like it's tied to a particular mail
        application. If that's part of the standard Pocket PC install, then that'll
        work, but I have users that don't use Pocket PC 2002, and I don't want to
        alienate them.

        I'll check out the file you uploaded to the group when I get a chance,
        maybe this weekend.

        Thanks!

        -Ross

        > Hi Ross i upload a small EVb project that demostrate how to read a
        > value from the registry, in this case it's this value:
        >

        > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\PMail\Attachments\TopDir
        >

        > This is where the name for the "Program Files" folder is stored. I
        > tested it with my pocket pc 2002 (in spanish) and i got the correct
        > value i also tested it with the pocket pc 2002 emulator that comes
        > with the ppc 2002 sdk and it worked fine (that one is in english).
        >

        > I hope this help, Thanks a lot Ross and keep up with your excelent
        > work.
        >

        > Greeting, Mariano.

      • Mariano Rodriguez
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 22, 2003
          Hi again Ross, that registry entry is always present on a pocket pc 2002
          distribution (I checked in several websites) but Im not sure if it's
          present on pocketpc or other distributions, I think the way to go would
          be place a different distribution and ask the users to test it, I for me
          can check in another pocket pc (not 2002) ill tell you if the registry
          key is there. By the way, I didn’t search the registry to find the key,
          I searched google for information on how to get the "Program files"
          folder name from eVB.

          In other subject I just got the application running. I just created a
          Program Files folder, moved the application, and changed the registry a
          little and the symlink.

          I noticed that there is bug with the skills; it seems to be adding wrong
          rank + stat bonus. There is also a problem with the xml template and
          version 4 of PCGen, it doesn’t display the AC information correctly.
          I'll modify the template and upload it to the forums.

          Take care, Mariano.

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 23, 2003
            Hi Mariano, I believe someone has already posted a new export template for
            use with version 4, but I guess another one couldn't hurt. :)

            I'm glad you got the app working. The next time I work on the app, I will
            definitely look into reading from the registry.

            Can you explain the skills bug you mentioned? I haven't heard anything
            about that yet.

            > Hi again Ross, that registry entry is always present on a pocket pc
            > 2002 distribution (I checked in several websites) but Im not sure if
            > it's present on pocketpc or other distributions, I think the way to go
            > would be place a different distribution and ask the users to test it, I
            > for me can check in another pocket pc (not 2002) ill tell you if the
            > registry key is there. By the way, I didn’t search the registry to find
            > the key, I searched google for information on how to get the "Program
            > files" folder name from eVB.
            >
            > In other subject I just got the application running. I just created a
            > Program Files folder, moved the application, and changed the registry a
            > little and the symlink.
            >
            > I noticed that there is bug with the skills; it seems to be adding
            > wrong rank + stat bonus. There is also a problem with the xml template
            > and version 4 of PCGen, it doesn’t display the AC information
            > correctly. I'll modify the template and upload it to the forums.
            >
            > Take care, Mariano.

          • Mariano Rodriguez
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 23, 2003
              Yes, no problem. The skill appear as if the value was a concatenation
              instead of a adding the values. For example

              Wilderness lore Bonus = +72 where Ranks = 7 and ability bonus = 2
              It is as if it was appending two strings instead of adding their integer
              values... weird...

              In only does it when I have ranks in that ability for example

              Balance total -1 ranks 0.0 stat mod 4 misc -5

              This one is fine 0 + 4 - 5 = -1

              But this one

              Listen total = 74 ranks 7 stat mod 2 misc 2

              7 + 2 + 2 = 74 :)

              it would be adding correctly stat mod and misc but then appending it to
              the total value.

              You don't have that problem?

              Mariano