Re: First trial by fire with PCGScry and my throughs on the experiance.

  • cergorach
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 7, 2002
      Hi there!
      Just returned to being player again, using you app on my ipaq sure helps a lot! There are still some things that need improvement though, but more on that later. I have a gaming session in an hour or so, thus i will not go into detail to much, on the other hand i'll have subjected your app to a combat trial ;-)

      > Much easier than flipping through the PH huh? Now I just need to include
      > the spells from the various supplemental books such as Tome & Blood, etc.

      I can handle the adding of the spells, many i have allready lying around OCRed, thus it's now just adding them as xml. Looking at the xml files that shouldn't be to difficult. Anything special you want me to add to non SRD spells? We really don't want to see you waste your expertise on such menial tasks as adding spells ;-)

      > I've had a lot of requests for this. I'm going to brainstorm a few
      > different ways to handle tracking memorized spells. I'll post them to this
      > group for discussion.

      Yes please, add this. Makes live a lot easier. I have some ideas, i'll edit an image in Photoshop to show you what i mean, i'll post it later...

      > I do plan to enable adding/subtracting coins so you can track treasure
      > found and money spent during your sessions. As for adding misc. items, I
      > don't think I'll be adding that. I always use the notes page,
      > then "purchase" the actual items in PCGen when I get home and update my
      > character file after a session. I try to avoid duplicating the
      > functionality of PCGen wherever possible, since PCGScry is primarily a
      > character viewer and gaming tool.
      >
      > I think that your current coin amounts are a dynamic-enough thing to
      > warrant having a quick way to manage them in the program, but in general
      > your inventory doesn't change much, and when it does change, it doesn't
      > require math (as does managing coin levels), so it seems to me that using
      > the notes field as a temporary scratch pad until you get back to PCGen, is
      > sufficient. Your thoughts?

      There are some other things that require editing in game, such as AC and Initiative. I really like the popup screen for AC, if you could add an editing fuction it would be bliss.

      Maybe the Temp fill in positions could be popup screens as well, that way you could specify where the temp bonus(es) would come from.

      I was wondering, how do you handle it when your character gets polymorphed? I'm often walking around in the form of a troll or giant or a dragon or a... Well you get the idea ;-) Any way to add polymorph templates?

      Overall, an excellent app, much appreciated!

      --Cergorach (aka. Remy D.M. van Vliet)