RE: [PCGScry] Re: PcGScry: feature request

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 16, 2007

      Hi, and thanks for the answer. In the next week I will be really
      involved in PcGScry so we could excange a chat protocol address (like
      skype or irc) and talk about it directly.

      I'm really thinking about buyng a palm, and in the meantime I'm going
      to try your new PcGScry on my work palm.

      The MASTER tools is not secondary, for me, it's primary, and it's the
      only purpose for wich I'm going to use PcGScry or whathever you want
      call it.

      >> PCGscry was originally developed (not by me) for viewing a fairly static character sheet. There is no code in it (apart from possibly the XMl loading) which would be useful for a GM tool.

      I'm really going crazy in my last D&D session due to enormous numbers
      of monsters, npc, and pcs... so... that is what I'm going to create:

      >> Index cards - each with the stats for an individual character/monster, and the index cards are kept in initiative order; and makes delaying an action simple (put the card to one side, and insert at the bottom of the pack when the action is taken). - this could work until a pocket PC version is available.

      - npc classes with basic data on them
      - feature to create an istance of a npc class with a specific name
      (this is a must cause i can create an "orc warrior" and after that
      create 10 orcs each with it's hp and initiative roll)
      - features to change hps, roll initiative, and so on relative to the
      created instances

      So graphically I want:
      - at the left (up down listed) or at the bottom (left right listed) a
      list of created istances (1 istance for every pc-npc, N istances of
      every monster) sorted by initiative roll (the initiative roll can be
      inputted for pcs)
      - at the right (or at the top) of the screen, small edit boxes that
      contains the data:
      hp, CA, damage for each weapon, initiative, and so on (using all the
      space i have)

      >> This could easily be done with a grid-type widget

      >> The ordering of the rows is based on initiative (first column).

      >> The remaining columns contain the primary stats.

      >> Presumably a button on the right of each row to load all the data into PCGscry.

      You told about java... yes, I'm so interested in doing it in java for
      portability reasons. However, Pocket PCs like mine don't have java
      installed when you buy them (cause there's in microsoft windows mobile
      and bill gates suks), I'm nearly sure that there is a java version for
      them but it's different (less classes) than the normal java. We should
      inform about that.

      Let's talk about this, so if you want we can work toghether.

      Doing it in java could be great cause PcGen is done in java and it is
      open source too... so maybe they could assist us a lot creating a
      small part of it and joining the profits about theyr work, like
      translations, already done datasets, and so on.

      Now let me download all the stuff I want to see what you done by now ;)

      I see the software and it seems to work good (i made it crash working
      on the gold pieces page but probably it was some "internationalizati on
      of the dot separator of numbers issue" (there in italy we use ",").
      >> This problem was raised in the past, and I thought I'd fixed it.

      However: I see that saving and loading different pcs is enough fast,
      however, the "instance" work have to be done...

      A static pc is good for me, but an istance have some other variables
      that should be added... now... there are two ways of doing this...

      1)
      adding the few variables (for example the total initiative as sum of
      the actual and the rolled) and use the work as-it-is now. Saving and
      In this case the only thing that have to be done is ordering them by
      initiative roll, on the load character scroll box (this can be done in
      various "dirty" ways.

      So as a master, i see them in order, load them, and switch at every
      turn with each one editing the frontal data (hp, charges (that can be
      used for arrows as well) and other stuff).
      >> This could be implemented quite easily. Having an extra box on the front page for current initiative.
      >> This would have only one character open at a time, with the initiative data (and other temporary things like current hit points) being saved in the "state" file for that character.

      2) adding a new class (the instance of a character that can be use to
      generate monsters) and adding a new section (the page that allows me
      to load the frontal data in an easyer way).
      The easyer way could be the thing that i explained in the other
      post... a menu that have all istances in a big tab (like the scrollbar
      you already did at the bottom of the screen) and make the user load
      the data in a small "frontal important data" section that is placed on
      the remaining space of the window.

      My doubts about that is the memory necessary to open everything.. . so,
      maybe, the point 2) is better cause a lighter class can be useful with
      20-30 datasheets to open... the data can be loaded from the various
      xml and can create a NEW xml with only the frontal data that is useful
      for a master... adding and removing monsters should be easy cause they
      can be generated on the click from pre-created npc data sheets.
      >> This could be done using a different XML template so that from PCGscry you can export a "class" where HP and other variables will be saved as "xDy+z". PCGscry would then know that when you try to open this character XML file it will automatically roll the dice and either prompt you for a name, or just automatically call it "filename<x>" (with x starting at 1). The character selection list would then be based on character .XML files and "instance" state files. Selecting the base name from the character selection a second time would create a new instance.

      3) a roll dye section have to be done too ;) (that is easy and the
      menus on the bottom bar of the software are so useful in this task)

      Tell me what you think about it...

      However: passing to java now shouldn't be a good thing, your (and of
      course the previous already done work) are good and doing all again
      could be heavy. It can be considered a future step...

      I don't think that a notebook is good in D&D sessions, a palm for me
      is a good compromise between paper and easy life for a D&D master.

      Actually, palms are always more diffuse so doing that work should be
      more useful than the work that the previous creator did 5 (awesome)
      years ago.

      My only doubts are between the "java" thing and the evolution that
      palms are doing. I guess if the famouse iPhone will be able to use a
      binary done in .net with visual basic... iPhone will be a great Pocket
      PC "killer" and I'm not an expert of that things.

      Make me know what you think about the two ways of doing what i need,
      and tell me if you are interested in working toghether.

      Maybe Wizard will be interested in a work like that too, what you
      think about it? ;)

      p.s. the sources are under the gpl licence right? you inherited the
      code with that licence on it right?

      So, we have...

      Names in "character selection" drop-down menu are sorted by initiative (as long as state files exist).

      A new box, labelled "INIT" appears on the front page, initially blank. Either manually type in a number (e.g. for PCs) or press a button next to it to get D20+<initmod>. (This field would have to change if the DEX of the character changes.)

      A new form of XML export sheet is created so that PCGscry can export a "monster" for your generic monsters. The big problem is whether this information is availabe in the output sheet system built into PCGen - A quick look at the documentation shows a "HITDICE" token, but I don't know if this has enough information.

      When a character is selected, it is either loaded normally as before; or if it used the new "monster" template then an instance will be created called "monster1", and the variable hitdice stuff is replaced with specific values. A state file is created called "monster1" and the state file contains the specific values.

      I think a separate pane called "Initiative" is best for managing the initiative order. This would allow buttons to reroll initiative or clear initiative for all entries.
    • nokao83
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 16, 2007
        Thanks for the complete answers (sorry for not quoting you but I'm not
        sure of the result in the html version of the mailing list).

        The only think I didn't understand is if you're planning to add that
        feats on PcGScry yourself or if you want me to join you and make them
        myself :D

        If I can help in someway, I'll do it... of course probably I will take
        a month to understand and edit correctly the source code for do what I
        need :D

        I'm a programmer but this software seems to be a little tough, PcGen
        is a little bigger and needs dozens of programmers to be updated ;)

        I didn't understand too why anyone have needed the feats I proposed
        before... those are the only useful things that I can imagine for a
        software like that, except of course if all the players of a party
        have a palm and the master have a notebook :D

        In this case it's actually useful itself and useless for a master, but
        in other normal cases (like our case, only me with a palm) the
        multi-loading of characters should be the best use of PCGSCry.

        Of course I think that the option 2) you described is better than the
        1) cause It allows the master to load characters only if really needed
        (for advanced purposes like put a barbarian into an rage or remove
        spells/arrows from mage/archers players).