RE: [PCGScry] PcGScry: feature request

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 15, 2007
      Latest source uploaded.
      I forgot to mention it is for MS Visual Studio 2005.

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 16, 2007
        Hi, and thanks for the answer. In the next week I will be really
        involved in PcGScry so we could excange a chat protocol address (like
        skype or irc) and talk about it directly.

        I'm really thinking about buyng a palm, and in the meantime I'm going
        to try your new PcGScry on my work palm.

        The MASTER tools is not secondary, for me, it's primary, and it's the
        only purpose for wich I'm going to use PcGScry or whathever you want
        call it.

        I'm really going crazy in my last D&D session due to enormous numbers
        of monsters, npc, and pcs... so... that is what I'm going to create:

        - npc classes with basic data on them
        - feature to create an istance of a npc class with a specific name
        (this is a must cause i can create an "orc warrior" and after that
        create 10 orcs each with it's hp and initiative roll)
        - features to change hps, roll initiative, and so on relative to the
        created instances

        So graphically I want:
        - at the left (up down listed) or at the bottom (left right listed) a
        list of created istances (1 istance for every pc-npc, N istances of
        every monster) sorted by initiative roll (the initiative roll can be
        inputted for pcs)
        - at the right (or at the top) of the screen, small edit boxes that
        contains the data:
        hp, CA, damage for each weapon, initiative, and so on (using all the
        space i have)

        You told about java... yes, I'm so interested in doing it in java for
        portability reasons. However, Pocket PCs like mine don't have java
        installed when you buy them (cause there's in microsoft windows mobile
        and bill gates suks), I'm nearly sure that there is a java version for
        them but it's different (less classes) than the normal java. We should
        inform about that.

        Let's talk about this, so if you want we can work toghether.

        Doing it in java could be great cause PcGen is done in java and it is
        open source too... so maybe they could assist us a lot creating a
        small part of it and joining the profits about theyr work, like
        translations, already done datasets, and so on.

        Now let me download all the stuff I want to see what you done by now ;)
      • nokao83
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 16, 2007
          I see the software and it seems to work good (i made it crash working
          on the gold pieces page but probably it was some "internationalization
          of the dot separator of numbers issue" (there in italy we use ",").

          However: I see that saving and loading different pcs is enough fast,
          however, the "instance" work have to be done...

          A static pc is good for me, but an istance have some other variables
          that should be added... now... there are two ways of doing this...

          1)
          adding the few variables (for example the total initiative as sum of
          the actual and the rolled) and use the work as-it-is now. Saving and
          In this case the only thing that have to be done is ordering them by
          initiative roll, on the load character scroll box (this can be done in
          various "dirty" ways.

          So as a master, i see them in order, load them, and switch at every
          turn with each one editing the frontal data (hp, charges (that can be
          used for arrows as well) and other stuff).

          2) adding a new class (the instance of a character that can be use to
          generate monsters) and adding a new section (the page that allows me
          to load the frontal data in an easyer way).
          The easyer way could be the thing that i explained in the other
          post... a menu that have all istances in a big tab (like the scrollbar
          you already did at the bottom of the screen) and make the user load
          the data in a small "frontal important data" section that is placed on
          the remaining space of the window.

          My doubts about that is the memory necessary to open everything... so,
          maybe, the point 2) is better cause a lighter class can be useful with
          20-30 datasheets to open... the data can be loaded from the various
          xml and can create a NEW xml with only the frontal data that is useful
          for a master... adding and removing monsters should be easy cause they
          can be generated on the click from pre-created npc data sheets.

          3) a roll dye section have to be done too ;) (that is easy and the
          menus on the bottom bar of the software are so useful in this task)

          Tell me what you think about it...

          However: passing to java now shouldn't be a good thing, your (and of
          course the previous already done work) are good and doing all again
          could be heavy. It can be considered a future step...

          I don't think that a notebook is good in D&D sessions, a palm for me
          is a good compromise between paper and easy life for a D&D master.

          Actually, palms are always more diffuse so doing that work should be
          more useful than the work that the previous creator did 5 (awesome)
          years ago.

          My only doubts are between the "java" thing and the evolution that
          palms are doing. I guess if the famouse iPhone will be able to use a
          binary done in .net with visual basic... iPhone will be a great Pocket
          PC "killer" and I'm not an expert of that things.

          Make me know what you think about the two ways of doing what i need,
          and tell me if you are interested in working toghether.

          Maybe Wizard will be interested in a work like that too, what you
          think about it? ;)

          p.s. the sources are under the gpl licence right? you inherited the
          code with that licence on it right?
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 16, 2007

> [...]

            I don't think that a notebook is good in D&D sessions, a palm for me
            is a good compromise between paper and easy life for a D&D master.

            Actually, palms are always more diffuse so doing that work should be
            more useful than the work that the previous creator did 5 (awesome)
            years ago.

            My only doubts are between the "java" thing and the evolution that
            palms are doing. I guess if the famouse iPhone will be able to use a
            binary done in .net with visual basic... iPhone will be a great Pocket
            PC "killer" and I'm not an expert of that things.

            Make me know what you think about the two ways of doing what i need,
            and tell me if you are interested in working toghether.

            Maybe Wizard will be interested in a work like that too, what you
            think about it? ;)

            p.s. the sources are under the gpl licence right? you inherited the

            So, we have...

            Names in "character selection" drop-down menu are sorted by initiative (as long as state files exist).

            A new box, labelled "INIT" appears on the front page, initially blank. Either manually type in a number (e.g. for PCs) or press a button next to it to get D20+<initmod>. (This field would have to change if the DEX of the character changes.)

            A new form of XML export sheet is created so that PCGscry can export a "monster" for your generic monsters. The big problem is whether this information is availabe in the output sheet system built into PCGen - A quick look at the documentation shows a "HITDICE" token, but I don't know if this has enough information.

            When a character is selected, it is either loaded normally as before; or if it used the new "monster" template then an instance will be created called "monster1", and the variable hitdice stuff is replaced with specific values. A state file is created called "monster1" and the state file contains the specific values.

            I think a separate pane called "Initiative" is best for managing the initiative order. This would allow buttons to reroll initiative or clear initiative for all entries.
          • nokao83
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 16, 2007
              Thanks for the complete answers (sorry for not quoting you but I'm not
              sure of the result in the html version of the mailing list).

              The only think I didn't understand is if you're planning to add that
              feats on PcGScry yourself or if you want me to join you and make them
              myself :D

              If I can help in someway, I'll do it... of course probably I will take
              a month to understand and edit correctly the source code for do what I
              need :D

              I'm a programmer but this software seems to be a little tough, PcGen
              is a little bigger and needs dozens of programmers to be updated ;)

              I didn't understand too why anyone have needed the feats I proposed
              before... those are the only useful things that I can imagine for a
              software like that, except of course if all the players of a party
              have a palm and the master have a notebook :D

              In this case it's actually useful itself and useless for a master, but
              in other normal cases (like our case, only me with a palm) the
              multi-loading of characters should be the best use of PCGSCry.

              Of course I think that the option 2) you described is better than the
              1) cause It allows the master to load characters only if really needed
              (for advanced purposes like put a barbarian into an rage or remove
              spells/arrows from mage/archers players).