PcGScry: feature request

  • nokao83
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 15, 2007
      Hi, I'm both a programmer and a D&D Master and I like that project so
      much.

      While I'm downloading all in the files section, I have some questions:
      - How PCGScry is compiled? (.net i guess)
      - Who is still working on it?
      - Where can I give a look to the sources?

      I think that PCGScry's creator was really ahead of time... in the 2002
      palms and pocket pc wasn't really used. But now? Now their starting to
      be used by a lot of people around, and I'm thinking to buy one for my
      D&D sessions.

      Actually, I have a palm at work and i developed software for palm with
      Lazarus (an open source pascal cross compilator that allowed me to
      compile a bin for windows mobile).

      So... why don't we give it a chance?

      The thing that I think that PCGScy misses is:
      a MASTER screen!

      Sorry in advance if it already exists and I still have not recognized
      it (I'm still downloading all the stuff with the pocket pc virtual
      emulator too).

      I looked at the OLD sreenshots, and there it don't exist. It would be
      so useful to have master section where to order MORE THAN ONE
      character (a list) by a rolled (or inputtable) initiative, and edit
      their hp!

      Adding monsters too (clicking on a pre-created monster and duplicating
      them) would be really awesome!

      While I wait an answer, I try to make PcGScry work on windows using
      pocket pc virtualization tools... if I don't make it I will try it
      tomorrow at work.
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 15, 2007
        Message
        Hi,

        I'm the maintainer of the code, making updates every now and again.
        It is written in VB.net (v1), having been quickly converted the eVB that was used with Pocket PC2002.
        There isn't too much actual source code behind it, as all the controls are supplied as standard in .net.

        There are no facilities in the tool for DMs really; although you can switch which character is loaded,
        and any temporary changes (like hit points) can be saved before you switch to a new character.

        I'm thinking of porting it to standard Java (not any form of MS perversion of it), so that it can be used
        on more hand-held machines. Do the palm machines have a java VM available in them?

        Adding all the DM stuff into PCGscry could theoretically be done, but then why not use a cheap laptop
        instead of a Pocket PC?  <grin>  (The price seems almost the same.)

        I will upload the latest sources.

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 15, 2007
          Message
          Latest source uploaded.
          I forgot to mention it is for MS Visual Studio 2005.

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 16, 2007
            Hi, and thanks for the answer. In the next week I will be really
            involved in PcGScry so we could excange a chat protocol address (like
            skype or irc) and talk about it directly.

            I'm really thinking about buyng a palm, and in the meantime I'm going
            to try your new PcGScry on my work palm.

            The MASTER tools is not secondary, for me, it's primary, and it's the
            only purpose for wich I'm going to use PcGScry or whathever you want
            call it.

            I'm really going crazy in my last D&D session due to enormous numbers
            of monsters, npc, and pcs... so... that is what I'm going to create:

            - npc classes with basic data on them
            - feature to create an istance of a npc class with a specific name
            (this is a must cause i can create an "orc warrior" and after that
            create 10 orcs each with it's hp and initiative roll)
            - features to change hps, roll initiative, and so on relative to the
            created instances

            So graphically I want:
            - at the left (up down listed) or at the bottom (left right listed) a
            list of created istances (1 istance for every pc-npc, N istances of
            every monster) sorted by initiative roll (the initiative roll can be
            inputted for pcs)
            - at the right (or at the top) of the screen, small edit boxes that
            contains the data:
            hp, CA, damage for each weapon, initiative, and so on (using all the
            space i have)

            You told about java... yes, I'm so interested in doing it in java for
            portability reasons. However, Pocket PCs like mine don't have java
            installed when you buy them (cause there's in microsoft windows mobile
            and bill gates suks), I'm nearly sure that there is a java version for
            them but it's different (less classes) than the normal java. We should
            inform about that.

            Let's talk about this, so if you want we can work toghether.

            Doing it in java could be great cause PcGen is done in java and it is
            open source too... so maybe they could assist us a lot creating a
            small part of it and joining the profits about theyr work, like
            translations, already done datasets, and so on.

            Now let me download all the stuff I want to see what you done by now ;)
          • nokao83
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 16, 2007
              I see the software and it seems to work good (i made it crash working
              on the gold pieces page but probably it was some "internationalization
              of the dot separator of numbers issue" (there in italy we use ",").

              However: I see that saving and loading different pcs is enough fast,
              however, the "instance" work have to be done...

              A static pc is good for me, but an istance have some other variables
              that should be added... now... there are two ways of doing this...

              1)
              adding the few variables (for example the total initiative as sum of
              the actual and the rolled) and use the work as-it-is now. Saving and
              In this case the only thing that have to be done is ordering them by
              initiative roll, on the load character scroll box (this can be done in
              various "dirty" ways.

              So as a master, i see them in order, load them, and switch at every
              turn with each one editing the frontal data (hp, charges (that can be
              used for arrows as well) and other stuff).

              2) adding a new class (the instance of a character that can be use to
              generate monsters) and adding a new section (the page that allows me
              to load the frontal data in an easyer way).
              The easyer way could be the thing that i explained in the other
              post... a menu that have all istances in a big tab (like the scrollbar
              you already did at the bottom of the screen) and make the user load
              the data in a small "frontal important data" section that is placed on
              the remaining space of the window.

              My doubts about that is the memory necessary to open everything... so,
              maybe, the point 2) is better cause a lighter class can be useful with
              20-30 datasheets to open... the data can be loaded from the various
              xml and can create a NEW xml with only the frontal data that is useful
              for a master... adding and removing monsters should be easy cause they
              can be generated on the click from pre-created npc data sheets.

              3) a roll dye section have to be done too ;) (that is easy and the
              menus on the bottom bar of the software are so useful in this task)

              Tell me what you think about it...

              However: passing to java now shouldn't be a good thing, your (and of
              course the previous already done work) are good and doing all again
              could be heavy. It can be considered a future step...

              I don't think that a notebook is good in D&D sessions, a palm for me
              is a good compromise between paper and easy life for a D&D master.

              Actually, palms are always more diffuse so doing that work should be
              more useful than the work that the previous creator did 5 (awesome)
              years ago.

              My only doubts are between the "java" thing and the evolution that
              palms are doing. I guess if the famouse iPhone will be able to use a
              binary done in .net with visual basic... iPhone will be a great Pocket
              PC "killer" and I'm not an expert of that things.

              Make me know what you think about the two ways of doing what i need,
              and tell me if you are interested in working toghether.

              Maybe Wizard will be interested in a work like that too, what you
              think about it? ;)

              p.s. the sources are under the gpl licence right? you inherited the
              code with that licence on it right?
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 16, 2007
                Message

> [...]

                I don't think that a notebook is good in D&D sessions, a palm for me
                is a good compromise between paper and easy life for a D&D master.

                Actually, palms are always more diffuse so doing that work should be
                more useful than the work that the previous creator did 5 (awesome)
                years ago.

                My only doubts are between the "java" thing and the evolution that
                palms are doing. I guess if the famouse iPhone will be able to use a
                binary done in .net with visual basic... iPhone will be a great Pocket
                PC "killer" and I'm not an expert of that things.

                Make me know what you think about the two ways of doing what i need,
                and tell me if you are interested in working toghether.

                Maybe Wizard will be interested in a work like that too, what you
                think about it? ;)

                p.s. the sources are under the gpl licence right? you inherited the

                So, we have...

                Names in "character selection" drop-down menu are sorted by initiative (as long as state files exist).

                A new box, labelled "INIT" appears on the front page, initially blank. Either manually type in a number (e.g. for PCs) or press a button next to it to get D20+<initmod>. (This field would have to change if the DEX of the character changes.)

                A new form of XML export sheet is created so that PCGscry can export a "monster" for your generic monsters. The big problem is whether this information is availabe in the output sheet system built into PCGen - A quick look at the documentation shows a "HITDICE" token, but I don't know if this has enough information.

                When a character is selected, it is either loaded normally as before; or if it used the new "monster" template then an instance will be created called "monster1", and the variable hitdice stuff is replaced with specific values. A state file is created called "monster1" and the state file contains the specific values.

                I think a separate pane called "Initiative" is best for managing the initiative order. This would allow buttons to reroll initiative or clear initiative for all entries.
              • nokao83
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 16, 2007
                  Thanks for the complete answers (sorry for not quoting you but I'm not
                  sure of the result in the html version of the mailing list).

                  The only think I didn't understand is if you're planning to add that
                  feats on PcGScry yourself or if you want me to join you and make them
                  myself :D

                  If I can help in someway, I'll do it... of course probably I will take
                  a month to understand and edit correctly the source code for do what I
                  need :D

                  I'm a programmer but this software seems to be a little tough, PcGen
                  is a little bigger and needs dozens of programmers to be updated ;)

                  I didn't understand too why anyone have needed the feats I proposed
                  before... those are the only useful things that I can imagine for a
                  software like that, except of course if all the players of a party
                  have a palm and the master have a notebook :D

                  In this case it's actually useful itself and useless for a master, but
                  in other normal cases (like our case, only me with a palm) the
                  multi-loading of characters should be the best use of PCGSCry.

                  Of course I think that the option 2) you described is better than the
                  1) cause It allows the master to load characters only if really needed
                  (for advanced purposes like put a barbarian into an rage or remove
                  spells/arrows from mage/archers players).