Re: PCGen and PCScry

  • karianna03
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 11, 2006
      Just a quick hello to state that I've not forgotten you guys, we're
      still sorting out some other issues but I've already put PCGScry as
      officially compatible with PCGen under the Publishers section of our wiki.

      Martin, I'll contact you once we've cleared out the OGL/LGPL issues
      (it's taking up all of our brain power at the moment)

      --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "karianna03" <martijnverburg@...> wrote:

      > OK, the BoD is currently trying to herd cats over a OGL/LPGL issue,
      > once we've cleared that up we'll pay some full attention to this
      > idea. As I stated before, it would be great to have you guys join
      > our team and see what we can do for each other!
      >
      > Karianna
      >
      > --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Smith" <groups@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I am the current maintainer, and it would be good to have it more
      > closely
      > > linked with PCGen. There are a few output tags which I'd like to see
      > for the
      > > XML output formatting :-)
      > >
      > > -- Martin

    • karianna03
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 23, 2007
        Hi all,

        Right we've come through the other side of our legal wrangles all nice
        and happy, so we can finally look at working with you guys. Martin,
        can you send me an email? I'd like to run everything past you first
        since you're the author and all!

        Initially we'd be looking to just help you guys out with some PR etc
        and try and help attract some more volunteers to this project. We've
        started a PCGen compatible program where we basically promote people
        like yourselves :)

      • nokao83
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 18 5:10 AM
          Hi Karianna ;)

          Maybe you remember me from the PcGen mailing list...

          Actually, I'm waiting for the "Internationalization of PcGen"
          mantainer to come back cause I'm interested in translating all the
          stuff in Italian.

          In the meantime, I contacted Martin here and maybe we will do
          something toghether in the weekend.

          Infact I'm interested in both having a master tool that loads
          characters and helps me to administrate a D&D session, and having all
          the stuff translated in Italian. That of course links every of you two.

          A java translation of PcGScry would be another step ahead into that
          project, but by now I just want the things "working" so I will try to
          help Martin (as I can) in the "adding master tools" part of the work.

          I was talking with him about java translation in another topic, cause
          the future of Pocket Pcs is actually obscure, and Visual Basic .net
          isn't really an example of "portability", it surely wont work on
          iPhone that will be only java or macosx compatible... and iPhone will
          rule the Palm world in less than 2-3 years...
        • Martijn Verburg
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 19 12:48 AM
            Hello back :)

            It would be fantastic if you could assist Martin with PCGScry, you'll
            probably be able to assist a good deal with your knowledge of the
            current version of PCGen :).

            As for porting to Java, it would certainly fit in with the PCGen main
            project very very well. In fact you'd be able to extend on the
            plugins that pcgen provides! Not to mention having lots more Java
            developers that could help out.

            We're still wrapping up our publisher liaison work, but once that's
            sotred we'll be focussing on publicsiing PCGScry and pcgenview.

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 19 4:50 AM
              Yes, it would. He's a lot occupied lately, we will speak toghether in
              the weekend about my last features request and about the translation
              stuff.

              However, as you should know, PcGen Internationalization stuff have not
              answered to my proposals of doing a very simple database where to put
              all the string to translate, and generate with it (with php or some
              other very-easy web software) the datasets dinamically, with the
              already-translated words inside them.

              I got some compliments by some of the mailing list reader but nothing
              else, and nothing is moving. My intention wasn't to do any revolution
              in the staff but only to find a better way of translating stuff, cause
              the actual way don't worth it...

              If you translate once, you'll have to translate again for every
              dataset change or for every tag added/changed.

              About the java thing, we will speak about that too. Martin itself
              speaked to me about the intention to use java, but as I known Pocket
              PC are NOT yet java mobile compatible...

              Palms really belongs to a Chaotic Plane...

              iPhones will be java compatible and will use MacOsx as OS...
              Pocket Pcs are Windows CE compatible but java is still not working in
              them ...
              There are Smartphones that use Symbian too, in that case java works...

              I don't know what to do: however, using .net (that I really hate...)
              it's possible to translate Vb .net software into java and viceversa,
              so, maybe, it will possible to mantain the code in a language and
              produce different installers for every device...

              --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Martijn Verburg" <martijnverburg@...>