PCGen and PCScry

  • karianna03
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 20, 2006
      Hi all,

      I've recently approached PCGenView (similar software to PCGScry but on
      the Palm platform) to see if they wanted to fall under the PCGen
      banner as it were.

      Basically PCGen would like to give support (host you guys on our
      website, make announcements about your releases etc) and hopefully
      assist in actual development at some stage.

      Is PCGScry still in active development? Is there an 'owner'/'author'
      I can talk to about this idea?

      Of course if this community would like PCGen to keep its Monkey paws
      off then we'll happily leave you alone :-)

      Karianna
      Chair Monkey
      PCGen
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 20, 2006
        I am the current maintainer, and it would be good to have it more closely linked with PCGen. There are a few output tags which I'd like to see for the XML output formatting :-)

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 21, 2006
          OK, the BoD is currently trying to herd cats over a OGL/LPGL issue,
          once we've cleared that up we'll pay some full attention to this idea.
          As I stated before, it would be great to have you guys join our team
          and see what we can do for each other!

          Karianna

          --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Smith" <groups@...> wrote:

          > I am the current maintainer, and it would be good to have it more
          closely
          > linked with PCGen. There are a few output tags which I'd like to see
          for the
          > XML output formatting :-)
          >
          > -- Martin

          Behalf Of
          > karianna03
          > Sent: 20 November 2006 10:57
          > To: PCGScry@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: [PCGScry] PCGen and PCScry
          >

          > Hi all,
          >
          > I've recently approached PCGenView (similar software to PCGScry but on
          > the Palm platform) to see if they wanted to fall under the PCGen
          > banner as it were.
          >
          > Basically PCGen would like to give support (host you guys on our
          > website, make announcements about your releases etc) and hopefully
          > assist in actual development at some stage.
          >
          > Is PCGScry still in active development? Is there an 'owner'/'author'
          > I can talk to about this idea?
          >
          > Of course if this community would like PCGen to keep its Monkey paws
          > off then we'll happily leave you alone :-)
          >
          > Karianna
          > Chair Monkey
          > PCGen

        • karianna03
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 11, 2006
            Just a quick hello to state that I've not forgotten you guys, we're
            still sorting out some other issues but I've already put PCGScry as
            officially compatible with PCGen under the Publishers section of our wiki.

            Martin, I'll contact you once we've cleared out the OGL/LGPL issues
            (it's taking up all of our brain power at the moment)

            --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "karianna03" <martijnverburg@...> wrote:

            > OK, the BoD is currently trying to herd cats over a OGL/LPGL issue,
            > once we've cleared that up we'll pay some full attention to this
            > idea. As I stated before, it would be great to have you guys join
            > our team and see what we can do for each other!
            >
            > Karianna
            >
            > --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Smith" <groups@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I am the current maintainer, and it would be good to have it more
            > closely
            > > linked with PCGen. There are a few output tags which I'd like to see
            > for the
            > > XML output formatting :-)
            > >
            > > -- Martin

          • karianna03
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 23 8:12 AM
              Hi all,

              Right we've come through the other side of our legal wrangles all nice
              and happy, so we can finally look at working with you guys. Martin,
              can you send me an email? I'd like to run everything past you first
              since you're the author and all!

              Initially we'd be looking to just help you guys out with some PR etc
              and try and help attract some more volunteers to this project. We've
              started a PCGen compatible program where we basically promote people
              like yourselves :)

            • nokao83
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 18, 2007
                Hi Karianna ;)

                Maybe you remember me from the PcGen mailing list...

                Actually, I'm waiting for the "Internationalization of PcGen"
                mantainer to come back cause I'm interested in translating all the
                stuff in Italian.

                In the meantime, I contacted Martin here and maybe we will do
                something toghether in the weekend.

                Infact I'm interested in both having a master tool that loads
                characters and helps me to administrate a D&D session, and having all
                the stuff translated in Italian. That of course links every of you two.

                A java translation of PcGScry would be another step ahead into that
                project, but by now I just want the things "working" so I will try to
                help Martin (as I can) in the "adding master tools" part of the work.

                I was talking with him about java translation in another topic, cause
                the future of Pocket Pcs is actually obscure, and Visual Basic .net
                isn't really an example of "portability", it surely wont work on
                iPhone that will be only java or macosx compatible... and iPhone will
                rule the Palm world in less than 2-3 years...
              • Martijn Verburg
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 19, 2007
                  Hello back :)

                  It would be fantastic if you could assist Martin with PCGScry, you'll
                  probably be able to assist a good deal with your knowledge of the
                  current version of PCGen :).

                  As for porting to Java, it would certainly fit in with the PCGen main
                  project very very well. In fact you'd be able to extend on the
                  plugins that pcgen provides! Not to mention having lots more Java
                  developers that could help out.

                  We're still wrapping up our publisher liaison work, but once that's
                  sotred we'll be focussing on publicsiing PCGScry and pcgenview.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 19, 2007
                    Yes, it would. He's a lot occupied lately, we will speak toghether in
                    the weekend about my last features request and about the translation
                    stuff.

                    However, as you should know, PcGen Internationalization stuff have not
                    answered to my proposals of doing a very simple database where to put
                    all the string to translate, and generate with it (with php or some
                    other very-easy web software) the datasets dinamically, with the
                    already-translated words inside them.

                    I got some compliments by some of the mailing list reader but nothing
                    else, and nothing is moving. My intention wasn't to do any revolution
                    in the staff but only to find a better way of translating stuff, cause
                    the actual way don't worth it...

                    If you translate once, you'll have to translate again for every
                    dataset change or for every tag added/changed.

                    About the java thing, we will speak about that too. Martin itself
                    speaked to me about the intention to use java, but as I known Pocket
                    PC are NOT yet java mobile compatible...

                    Palms really belongs to a Chaotic Plane...

                    iPhones will be java compatible and will use MacOsx as OS...
                    Pocket Pcs are Windows CE compatible but java is still not working in
                    them ...
                    There are Smartphones that use Symbian too, in that case java works...

                    I don't know what to do: however, using .net (that I really hate...)
                    it's possible to translate Vb .net software into java and viceversa,
                    so, maybe, it will possible to mantain the code in a language and
                    produce different installers for every device...

                    --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Martijn Verburg" <martijnverburg@...>