Re: Enthusiasm gets the better of me

  • Tom
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 10 3:27 PM
      > The "Special Abilities" scrolled list really does contain all the
      > information available from PCGen. There is no separate "title" and
      > "description" fields for how Special Abilities are added to the
      datasets for
      > PCGen (SA: tag) so the only use for the expanded text box would be to
      > display the special ability text if it would otherwise be too long
      to appear
      > in the Special Abilities list.

      Yes, this would be handy. Or: allow the user to add his own text to it
      (very usefull as a reminder)

      > I think the comment about the expanded description was supposed to
      be referring to the "Spells" page and not the Innates page.

      Not really, the innates page has a column 'Description'. It would be
      handy to not place this in a column, but in a text box at the bottom.
      When an innate is selected, the description of the selected innate is
      shown in the text box

      > I will swap over the columns for the Innates page. I agree that the
      > "Remaining" should be before the maximum.

      > I will look at all the other suggestions to see which are easy to
      implement :-)

      cool!

      > Landscape will involve moving to .NET v2.0, which will involve a
      much bigger download (and possibly no support for Pocket PC 2003, but
      I'm not sure).

      okay, I understand

      > In the "Ranks" column of the Skills window, it is displaying each
      rank as a number with ".0" usually appearing after it. This is to
      account for when you spend gain only half a rank (cross-class skills).
      Perhaps the "." is not easily visible on your computer?

      The ranks column shows the point fine. The problem is in the total
      column on the left side of the ranks column. This displays the wrong
      result. Eg a rank of 3.0 and a stat bonus of +4, should give +7.0,
      while the total column shows 34

      Regards,
      Tom.

      > -- Martin

      Behalf Of

      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 11 1:17 AM
        Message The ranks column shows the point fine. The problem is in the total
        column on the left side of the ranks column. This displays the wrong
        result. Eg a rank of 3.0 and a stat bonus of +4, should give +7.0,
        while the total column shows 34

        >> This is strange, because the Skills look fine on my PocketPC.

        Is there any chance that you can send me the character's .xml file for me to have a look?

        > The "Special Abilities" scrolled list really does contain all the
        > information available from PCGen. There is no separate "title" and
        > "description" fields for how Special Abilities are added to the
        datasets for
        > PCGen (SA: tag) so the only use for the expanded text box would be to
        > display the special ability text if it would otherwise be too long
        to appear
        > in the Special Abilities list.

        Yes, this would be handy. Or: allow the user to add his own text to it
        (very usefull as a reminder)

        > I think the comment about the expanded description was supposed to
        be referring to the "Spells" page and not the Innates page.

        Not really, the innates page has a column 'Description' . It would be
        handy to not place this in a column, but in a text box at the bottom.
        When an innate is selected, the description of the selected innate is
        shown in the text box

        > I will swap over the columns for the Innates page. I agree that the
        > "Remaining" should be before the maximum.

        > I will look at all the other suggestions to see which are easy to
        implement :-)

        cool!

        > Landscape will involve moving to .NET v2.0, which will involve a
        much bigger download (and possibly no support for Pocket PC 2003, but
        I'm not sure).

        okay, I understand

        > In the "Ranks" column of the Skills window, it is displaying each
        rank as a number with ".0" usually appearing after it. This is to
        account for when you spend gain only half a rank (cross-class skills).
        Perhaps the "." is not easily visible on your computer?

        The ranks column shows the point fine. The problem is in the total
        column on the left side of the ranks column. This displays the wrong
        result. Eg a rank of 3.0 and a stat bonus of +4, should give +7.0,
        while the total column shows 34

        Regards,
        Tom.

        > -- Martin

      • Tom
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 11 9:13 AM
          --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Smith" <groups@...> wrote:

          > The ranks column shows the point fine. The problem is in the total
          > column on the left side of the ranks column. This displays the wrong
          > result. Eg a rank of 3.0 and a stat bonus of +4, should give +7.0,
          > while the total column shows 34
          >

          > >> This is strange, because the Skills look fine on my PocketPC.
          >
          > Is there any chance that you can send me the character's .xml file
          for me to have a look?

          Yup, just send it to you

          Regards,
          Tom
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 11 11:55 AM
            Message
            Hmm, well when I copied the XML to my PocketPC, I saw the correct figure in the total column.

            For example,

            Concentration    7        3.0        +3        1        CON

            What device are you using?
            Is it Pocket PC 2003 or Windows Mobile (5?)?

            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 17 3:19 AM
              Hi Martin,

              I've Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition. Meanwhile I found the issue
              to this problem. I don't use English (United State) settings but Dutch
              (Belgium). When I switch to English the calculation is correct. In
              Dutch setting it is incorrect, probably due to the fact that we have
              another period notation, ie ',' instead of '.'

              I think you should replace the '.' in the period notation of the
              regional settings before setting it as a double. (Or something like
              that, depending on what is possible in .Net)

              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 18 1:14 AM
                Message
                Ah, I see.
                I think I might be hard-coding the "." when creating the string (but I might not).
                I will check the code to ensure it uses the correct international symbols everywhere.
                Thanks for the info.

                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 19 12:44 PM
                  Message
                  Hi,

                  I've looked at the code, and the XML files, and it appears that the problem is that the XML file has "." as the decimal point.

                  There's a new version of PCGscry which converts the "." in three fields of the XML file to whatever is set as your locale's decimal point.
                  This applies to:
                      Skills - Ranks
                      Equipment - Weight
                      Equipment - Cost

                  I've Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition. Meanwhile I found the issue
                  to this problem. I don't use English (United State) settings but Dutch
                  (Belgium). When I switch to English the calculation is correct. In
                  Dutch setting it is incorrect, probably due to the fact that we have
                  another period notation, ie ',' instead of '.'

                  I think you should replace the '.' in the period notation of the
                  regional settings before setting it as a double. (Or something like
                  that, depending on what is possible in .Net)

                  Regards,
                  Tom.

                  --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups .com, "Martin Smith" <groups@...> wrote:

                  > Hmm, well when I copied the XML to my PocketPC, I saw the correct
                  figure in
                  > the total column.
                  >
                  > For example,
                  >
                  > Concentration 7 3.0 +3 1 CON
                  >
                  > What device are you using?
                  > Is it Pocket PC 2003 or Windows Mobile (5?)?
                  >
                  > -- Martin

                • Tom
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 19 2:04 PM
                    --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Smith" <groups@...> wrote:

                    > Hi,
                    >
                    > I've looked at the code, and the XML files, and it appears that the
                    problem
                    > is that the XML file has "." as the decimal point.
                    >
                    > There's a new version of PCGscry which converts the "." in three
                    fields of
                    > the XML file to whatever is set as your locale's decimal point.
                    > This applies to:
                    > Skills - Ranks
                    > Equipment - Weight
                    > Equipment - Cost