Re: Enthusiasm gets the better of me

  • Tom
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 8, 2006
      --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Smith" <groups@...> wrote:

      > Hi all,
      > Another set of updates coded this evening, available from the files
      > section:
      >
      > - Do not resize columns in MONEY list.
      > - Create separate Skill and Feat pages.
      > - Feats are now stored in a scrolled list instead of a combo-box, but
      > keeping the detailed text box.
      > - Special Abilities is now a scrolled list.

      Could this be placed on a seperate page? (same as the feats, ie with a
      description box)

      > - Fixed a crash when trying to cast an at-will innate.
      > - Move "effects" from spell list to text box below the list.
      > - Add separate description box for the selected entry on the Innates
      page.

      I don't see this extra box. I'm using the last version (at least the
      one downloadable from the web: 1.4.2469.39722

      Concerning innates: perhaps better to place the remain column before
      the 'Amount per day' column

      > - Add Grapple and Unarmed combat stats to Main page.
      > - current HP is black when it matches the max HP.
      > - current SD is black when it is 0.
      > - Compilation date (hopefully, rather than install date) added to
      > "About" page.

      Yes looks like it is the compilation date: 6/10/2006 1:04:06

      Some feature requests:

      * Landscape mode support.

      * A great addition to PCScry would be to add a combat page in which
      you can keep track the combat for your character, but I'm not sure if
      this is possible. I am thinking on the following:

      A blanco page. When you start combat, you press on a new round button.
      This line contains a summary of the most important combat stats. and
      an add button. By clicking on the add button, you get a new screen
      where you can add information important for combat, eg +3 Str, +5HP,
      +3Ref, ... and you provide the amounts of rounds it will last. the
      round line is update each time so it reflects the total of changes:

      round Abilities Fort/Ref/Will ...

      This is rather basic, but you can go far with this:
      * the rounds are taken into account, ie when pressing 'New round',
      PCScry will automatically change the scores according to the length of
      the effects (eg assume you've a boost spell for 5 rounds), then after
      these 5 rounds PCScry will automatically drop the boost addition.

      * When you click on the cast button, the user can choose if this info
      is taken into account in the combat page (so the user doesn't has to
      write the pos or neg boosts him/herself)

      * Same for innates

      * All the changes are taken into account at the other pages, ie in
      'combat mode', the stats of the character, the weapons, etc reflect
      the changes entered in the combat page

      Regards,
      Tom.

      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 8, 2006
        Hi Tom,

        Thanks for the feedback.

        The "Special Abilities" scrolled list really does contain all the information available from PCGen. There is no separate "title" and "description" fields for how Special Abilities are added to the datasets for PCGen (SA: tag) so the only use for the expanded text box would be to display the special ability text if it would otherwise be too long to appear in the Special Abilities list.

        I think the comment about the expanded description was supposed to be referring to the "Spells" page and not the Innates page.

        I will swap over the columns for the Innates page. I agree that the "Remaining" should be before the maximum.

        I will look at all the other suggestions to see which are easy to implement :-)

        Landscape will involve moving to .NET v2.0, which will involve a much bigger download (and possibly no support for Pocket PC 2003, but I'm not sure).

        In the "Ranks" column of the Skills window, it is displaying each rank as a number with ".0" usually appearing after it. This is to account for when you spend gain only half a rank (cross-class skills). Perhaps the "." is not easily visible on your computer?

        > Another set of updates coded this evening, available from the files
        > section:
        >
        > - Do not resize columns in MONEY list.
        > - Create separate Skill and Feat pages.
        > - Feats are now stored in a scrolled list instead of a combo-box, but
        > keeping the detailed text box.
        > - Special Abilities is now a scrolled list.

        Could this be placed on a seperate page? (same as the feats, ie with a
        description box)

        > - Fixed a crash when trying to cast an at-will innate.
        > - Move "effects" from spell list to text box below the list.
        > - Add separate description box for the selected entry on the Innates
        page.

        I don't see this extra box. I'm using the last version (at least the
        one downloadable from the web: 1.4.2469.39722

        Concerning innates: perhaps better to place the remain column before
        the 'Amount per day' column

        > - Add Grapple and Unarmed combat stats to Main page.
        > - current HP is black when it matches the max HP.
        > - current SD is black when it is 0.
        > - Compilation date (hopefully, rather than install date) added to
        > "About" page.

        Yes looks like it is the compilation date: 6/10/2006 1:04:06

        Some feature requests:

        * Landscape mode support.

        * A great addition to PCScry would be to add a combat page in which
        you can keep track the combat for your character, but I'm not sure if
        this is possible. I am thinking on the following:

        A blanco page. When you start combat, you press on a new round button.
        This line contains a summary of the most important combat stats. and
        an add button. By clicking on the add button, you get a new screen
        where you can add information important for combat, eg +3 Str, +5HP,
        +3Ref, ... and you provide the amounts of rounds it will last. the
        round line is update each time so it reflects the total of changes:

        round Abilities Fort/Ref/Will ...

        This is rather basic, but you can go far with this:
        * the rounds are taken into account, ie when pressing 'New round',
        PCScry will automatically change the scores according to the length of
        the effects (eg assume you've a boost spell for 5 rounds), then after
        these 5 rounds PCScry will automatically drop the boost addition.

        * When you click on the cast button, the user can choose if this info
        is taken into account in the combat page (so the user doesn't has to
        write the pos or neg boosts him/herself)

        * Same for innates

        * All the changes are taken into account at the other pages, ie in
        'combat mode', the stats of the character, the weapons, etc reflect
        the changes entered in the combat page

        Regards,
        Tom.

        > Enjoy,
        > Martin

      • Tom
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 10, 2006
          > The "Special Abilities" scrolled list really does contain all the
          > information available from PCGen. There is no separate "title" and
          > "description" fields for how Special Abilities are added to the
          datasets for
          > PCGen (SA: tag) so the only use for the expanded text box would be to
          > display the special ability text if it would otherwise be too long
          to appear
          > in the Special Abilities list.

          Yes, this would be handy. Or: allow the user to add his own text to it
          (very usefull as a reminder)

          > I think the comment about the expanded description was supposed to
          be referring to the "Spells" page and not the Innates page.

          Not really, the innates page has a column 'Description'. It would be
          handy to not place this in a column, but in a text box at the bottom.
          When an innate is selected, the description of the selected innate is
          shown in the text box

          > I will swap over the columns for the Innates page. I agree that the
          > "Remaining" should be before the maximum.

          > I will look at all the other suggestions to see which are easy to
          implement :-)

          cool!

          > Landscape will involve moving to .NET v2.0, which will involve a
          much bigger download (and possibly no support for Pocket PC 2003, but
          I'm not sure).

          okay, I understand

          > In the "Ranks" column of the Skills window, it is displaying each
          rank as a number with ".0" usually appearing after it. This is to
          account for when you spend gain only half a rank (cross-class skills).
          Perhaps the "." is not easily visible on your computer?

          The ranks column shows the point fine. The problem is in the total
          column on the left side of the ranks column. This displays the wrong
          result. Eg a rank of 3.0 and a stat bonus of +4, should give +7.0,
          while the total column shows 34

          Regards,
          Tom.

          > -- Martin

          Behalf Of

          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 11, 2006
            Message The ranks column shows the point fine. The problem is in the total
            column on the left side of the ranks column. This displays the wrong
            result. Eg a rank of 3.0 and a stat bonus of +4, should give +7.0,
            while the total column shows 34

            >> This is strange, because the Skills look fine on my PocketPC.

            Is there any chance that you can send me the character's .xml file for me to have a look?

            > The "Special Abilities" scrolled list really does contain all the
            > information available from PCGen. There is no separate "title" and
            > "description" fields for how Special Abilities are added to the
            datasets for
            > PCGen (SA: tag) so the only use for the expanded text box would be to
            > display the special ability text if it would otherwise be too long
            to appear
            > in the Special Abilities list.

            Yes, this would be handy. Or: allow the user to add his own text to it
            (very usefull as a reminder)

            > I think the comment about the expanded description was supposed to
            be referring to the "Spells" page and not the Innates page.

            Not really, the innates page has a column 'Description' . It would be
            handy to not place this in a column, but in a text box at the bottom.
            When an innate is selected, the description of the selected innate is
            shown in the text box

            > I will swap over the columns for the Innates page. I agree that the
            > "Remaining" should be before the maximum.

            > I will look at all the other suggestions to see which are easy to
            implement :-)

            cool!

            > Landscape will involve moving to .NET v2.0, which will involve a
            much bigger download (and possibly no support for Pocket PC 2003, but
            I'm not sure).

            okay, I understand

            > In the "Ranks" column of the Skills window, it is displaying each
            rank as a number with ".0" usually appearing after it. This is to
            account for when you spend gain only half a rank (cross-class skills).
            Perhaps the "." is not easily visible on your computer?

            The ranks column shows the point fine. The problem is in the total
            column on the left side of the ranks column. This displays the wrong
            result. Eg a rank of 3.0 and a stat bonus of +4, should give +7.0,
            while the total column shows 34

            Regards,
            Tom.

            > -- Martin

          • Tom
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 11, 2006
              --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Smith" <groups@...> wrote:

              > The ranks column shows the point fine. The problem is in the total
              > column on the left side of the ranks column. This displays the wrong
              > result. Eg a rank of 3.0 and a stat bonus of +4, should give +7.0,
              > while the total column shows 34
              >

              > >> This is strange, because the Skills look fine on my PocketPC.
              >
              > Is there any chance that you can send me the character's .xml file
              for me to have a look?

              Yup, just send it to you

              Regards,
              Tom
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 11, 2006
                Hmm, well when I copied the XML to my PocketPC, I saw the correct figure in the total column.

                For example,

                Concentration    7        3.0        +3        1        CON

                What device are you using?
                Is it Pocket PC 2003 or Windows Mobile (5?)?

                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 17, 2006
                  Hi Martin,

                  I've Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition. Meanwhile I found the issue
                  to this problem. I don't use English (United State) settings but Dutch
                  (Belgium). When I switch to English the calculation is correct. In
                  Dutch setting it is incorrect, probably due to the fact that we have
                  another period notation, ie ',' instead of '.'

                  I think you should replace the '.' in the period notation of the
                  regional settings before setting it as a double. (Or something like
                  that, depending on what is possible in .Net)

                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 18, 2006
                    Ah, I see.
                    I think I might be hard-coding the "." when creating the string (but I might not).
                    I will check the code to ensure it uses the correct international symbols everywhere.
                    Thanks for the info.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 19, 2006
                      Hi,

                      I've looked at the code, and the XML files, and it appears that the problem is that the XML file has "." as the decimal point.

                      There's a new version of PCGscry which converts the "." in three fields of the XML file to whatever is set as your locale's decimal point.
                      This applies to:
                          Skills - Ranks
                          Equipment - Weight
                          Equipment - Cost

                      I've Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition. Meanwhile I found the issue
                      to this problem. I don't use English (United State) settings but Dutch
                      (Belgium). When I switch to English the calculation is correct. In
                      Dutch setting it is incorrect, probably due to the fact that we have
                      another period notation, ie ',' instead of '.'

                      I think you should replace the '.' in the period notation of the
                      regional settings before setting it as a double. (Or something like
                      that, depending on what is possible in .Net)

                      Regards,
                      Tom.

                      --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups .com, "Martin Smith" <groups@...> wrote:

                      > Hmm, well when I copied the XML to my PocketPC, I saw the correct
                      figure in
                      > the total column.
                      >
                      > For example,
                      >
                      > Concentration 7 3.0 +3 1 CON
                      >
                      > What device are you using?
                      > Is it Pocket PC 2003 or Windows Mobile (5?)?
                      >
                      > -- Martin

                    • Tom
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 19, 2006
                        --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Smith" <groups@...> wrote:

                        > Hi,
                        >
                        > I've looked at the code, and the XML files, and it appears that the
                        problem
                        > is that the XML file has "." as the decimal point.
                        >
                        > There's a new version of PCGscry which converts the "." in three
                        fields of
                        > the XML file to whatever is set as your locale's decimal point.
                        > This applies to:
                        > Skills - Ranks
                        > Equipment - Weight
                        > Equipment - Cost