RE: [PCGScry] Pocket PC PCGen

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 6, 2006
      This would probably be pretty easy. But it would NOT be PCGen only
      on a PocketPC platform. The nuts and bolts of PCGen require HUGE data
      files. And the ability to read them quickly. It would be a challenge
      indeed to get just the data files onto the PocketPC. At the moment, I think
      it is too big.
      Although it may be a little easier once/if the conversion to XML is
      completed. Since the manipulation of XML data is built into eVB (Embedded
      Visual Basic). It would have to be written from the ground up, or possibly
      if/when a J# comes out. Or heck there is probably Java stuff for PocketPC,
      I just don't know.

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 14, 2006
          > Any thoughts?
          > If your a programmer and you like the idea why not develop on it.

          Because creating a character generator like PCGen is a *very* complex
          project. It's taken PCGen itself several years to get where it is now. *I*
          certainly don't want to duplicate that effort.
        • Grey
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 14, 2006
            Well I'm not a programmer, but if PocketPC supports java it may be possible to port it over without having to have extensive modification. That said, I think the screen on the PPC is far to small to be very effective.

            Now what I WOULD like to see would be something that would let you keep your entire character sheet on your PPC. Be able to keep up with HP, spells, armor, etc. All the stuff that PCGScry does but more so. Even better would be if it would be able to link into the SRD so you can look stuff up quickly. I think there's a program now that does most of that (except the looking up bit), but it's fairly expensive I think.

            At 03:17 PM 1/14/2006, you wrote:
            > Any thoughts?
            > If your a programmer and you like the idea why not develop on it.

            Because creating a character generator like PCGen is a *very* complex
            project.  It's taken PCGen itself several years to get where it is now.  *I*
            certainly don't want to duplicate that effort.

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 17, 2006

              I think that putting the SRD on PocketPC, searchable, indexed with/without pictures would be very cool.  But I think it would be betting to separate it from PCGScry.  Because there are times when I just want some basic info, and times when I want info on a character.  Why create so much overhead when you only need one or the other most of the time.  I am not saying that when you are in the thick of things you wouldn’t want both, but then you would have the option of opening them both.  Linking the two would also be cool.  If I have an item that I can’t remember fully, just click on the lookitup button and their you go.

              Great idea J

              Well I'm not a programmer, but if PocketPC supports java it may be possible to port it over without having to have extensive modification. That said, I think the screen on the PPC is far to small to be very effective.

              Now what I WOULD like to see would be something that would let you keep your entire character sheet on your PPC. Be able to keep up with HP, spells, armor, etc. All the stuff that PCGScry does but more so. Even better would be if it would be able to link into the SRD so you can look stuff up quickly. I think there's a program now that does most of that (except the looking up bit), but it's fairly expensive I think.

              At 03:17 PM 1/14/2006, you wrote:

              Ø       Any thoughts?
              > If your a programmer and you like the idea why not develop on it.

              Because creating a character generator like PCGen is a *very* complex
              project.  It's taken PCGen itself several years to get where it is now.  *I*
              certainly don't want to duplicate that effort.

              <SNIP>

            • davidjsole
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 17, 2006
                Ive put a searchable html copy of SRD on my PDA.

                I downloaded from here :
                http://www.andargor.com/

                try the 'Offline Searchable HTML version of the SRD 3.5'

                even just adding a link from pcgen to the html file would be good.