Re: loading difficulty

  • Joe Medica
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005
      --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <barak@v...> wrote:

      > > Two files I exported to use with PCSCRYÂ… One is mine (Mallick),
      the
      > > other is one of the ones off the Group list. Neither one works
      in
      > > PCSCRY. Both used the standard character XML output file, not
      the
      > > new one Barak loaded.
      >
      > I'll look at them when I get home tonight.
      >
      > > I couldn't even get that one to produce a file that could be read
      in,

      > What do you mean by this? PCGen didn't produce an output file
      using
      > the template I uploaded?

      I used the template to create an XML output file, but PCSCRY could
      not read it. File added to the files list. I am using 5.8.0.

      > Are you using PCGen 5.8.0? That's required for the sheet I
      uploaded.

      > > the old ones produced a file, but it never loaded. The
      application
      > > started, but the character sheet froze.
      >
      > I'm still confused as to the distinction you're making here... what
      is
      > the difference between what you get with my template and these?
      >
      > Barak

      The distinction is that the old files will load into PCSCRY, and then
      freeze. Your template will not load. I created one with your
      template, one with version 500e and one with version 3. All are in
      the List's file directory.

      THANKS!

      Joe
    • Joe Medica
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005
        Now that you point it out, I see the error. I have created the
        character with your template, but it still locks up the application
        on the hendheld. The output looks clean (included in the ZIP file I
        loaded, its the one without a version number), but I still have
        issues with it loading. Nothing comes up on the screen. I can enter
        numbers in the temporary adjustment fields, but nothing is loaded at
        all and I can't move between tabs.

        Perhaps this has something to do with the program being run on
        Windows Mobile 2003, 2nd ed.? I have a very flexible and powerful
        Axim (hell, it runs 3d games), but this seems to be failing every
        time.

        I really like PCGEN and it would be AWESOME if this would work.

        Let me know if there is anything else you need.

        Joe

        --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <barak@v...> wrote:
        > Ok, I got a few minutes to eyeball things here at work.
        >
        > > Both used the standard character XML output file
        >
        > This is your problem. The old .xml you are using is producing bad
        XML
        > (as well as bad output from PCGen). You're getting things like:
        >
        > - <class>
        > <fullname>CLASS0</fullname>
        > <shortname>CLASSABB0</shortname>
        > <level>CLASS0.LEVEL</level>
        > </class>
        >
        > And
        >
        > - <str>
        > <score>STAT0</score>
        > <mod>STAT0.MOD</mod>
        > </str>
        >
        > And
        >
        > - <initiative>
        > <total>+2</total>
        > <dex>STAT1.MOD</dex>
        > <misc>+0</misc>
        > </initiative>
        >
        > Any of these could be causing problems where the program is
        expecting a
        > number and getting "STAT1.MOD" when it reads the XML file.
        >
        > If you take it and try and load it in your browser it will give you
        an
        > error as well, which is another thing that PCGScry could be choking
        on.

        > The actual error is:
        > A CDATA section was not closed. Error processing
        > resource 'https://coremail2.core.com/nm/index/Mallick%20E%
        27Nath.xml?
        > actio...
        >
        > I believe both of the new sheets (mine and Ed's) have removed or
        fixed
        > the CDATA problem.
        >
        > Upshot: Use one of the new .xml templates. :)
        >
        > Barak
      • Barak
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005
          I'll grab your zip and take a look.

          Now that you point it out, I see the error.  I have created the
          character with your template, but it still locks up the application
          on the hendheld.  The output looks clean (included in the ZIP file I
          loaded, its the one without a version number), but I still have
          issues with it loading.  Nothing comes up on the screen.  I can enter
          numbers in the temporary adjustment fields, but nothing is loaded at
          all and I can't move between tabs.

          Perhaps this has something to do with the program being run on
          Windows Mobile 2003, 2nd ed.?  I have a very flexible and powerful
          Axim (hell, it runs 3d games), but this seems to be failing every
          time.

          I really like PCGEN and it would be AWESOME if this would work.

          Let me know if there is anything else you need.

          Joe

          --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <barak@v...> wrote:
          > Ok, I got a few minutes to eyeball things here at work.
          >
          > > Both used the standard character XML output file
          >
          > This is your problem.  The old .xml you are using is producing bad
          XML
          > (as well as bad output from PCGen).  You're getting things like:
          >
          > - <class>
          >   <fullname>CLASS0</fullname>
          >   <shortname>CLASSABB0</shortname>
          >   <level>CLASS0.LEVEL</level>
          >   </class>
          >
          > And
          >
          > - <str>
          >   <score>STAT0</score>
          >   <mod>STAT0.MOD</mod>
          >   </str>
          >
          > And
          >
          > - <initiative>
          >   <total>+2</total>
          >   <dex>STAT1.MOD</dex>
          >   <misc>+0</misc>
          >   </initiative>
          >
          > Any of these could be causing problems where the program is
          expecting a
          > number and getting "STAT1.MOD" when it reads the XML file.
          >
          > If you take it and try and load it in your browser it will give you
          an
          > error as well, which is another thing that PCGScry could be choking
          on.

          > The actual error is:
          > A CDATA section was not closed. Error processing
          > resource 'https://coremail2.core.com/nm/index/Mallick%20E%
          27Nath.xml?
          > actio...
          >
          > I believe both of the new sheets (mine and Ed's) have removed or
          fixed
          > the CDATA problem.
          >
          > Upshot:  Use one of the new .xml templates.  :)
          >
          > Barak

        • Barak
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005

            Well, I can load your character made with my template on my iPAQ...

            So, a question (brought on by your question that included your type of handheld):

            Are you sure you're using the version that is appropriate to your processor?  There is one on the original website for Pocket PCs with ARM processors (what I use), one for MIPS processors and one for SH3 processors.

            If you have some other processor, it may be that you won't be able to use the program, I really don't know.

            Barak

            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005

              The installer on the site, will install the proper version for your platform. … usually.  When your having prolonged problems with freezes and blank screens, my first suggestion is to uninstall and FULLY remove all registry entries.  There is a freeware proggy out their somewhere that will allow you to clear these entries.  Then do an install.

              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 9, 2005
                Edwin,

                I have a PXA270 processor according to my system info. Doesn't seem
                to fit any of those described below. Is it possible that this
                processor is not supported? If so, I would like to remove the
                product, so can you tell me more about the registry editor you
                mention below? I've tried a few of them, and they don't seemt o be
                compatible. I tried uninstalling the program, but it says the files
                are read only, and cannot be removed. Any ideas?

                Joe

                --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Edwin Holley" <eholley@c...> wrote:
                > The installer on the site, will install the proper version for your
                > platform. . usually. When your having prolonged problems with
                freezes and
                > blank screens, my first suggestion is to uninstall and FULLY remove
                all
                > registry entries. There is a freeware proggy out their somewhere
                that will
                > allow you to clear these entries. Then do an install.
                >

                > _____

                Behalf Of
                > Barak
                > Sent: Wednesday, September 07, 2005 19:03
                > To: PCGScry@yahoogroups.com
                > Subject: RE: [PCGScry] Re: loading difficulty
                >

                > Well, I can load your character made with my template on my iPAQ...
                >
                > So, a question (brought on by your question that included your type
                of
                > handheld):
                >
                > Are you sure you're using the version that is appropriate to your
                processor?
                > There is one on the original website for Pocket PCs with ARM
                processors
                > (what I use), one for MIPS processors and one for SH3 processors.
                >
                > If you have some other processor, it may be that you won't be able
                to use
                > the program, I really don't know.
                >
                > Barak
                >

                > _____
                >

                > From: PCGScry@yahoogroups.com [mailto:PCGScry@yahoogroups.com] On
                Behalf Of
                > Joe Medica
                >
                > issues with it loading. Nothing comes up on the screen. I can
                enter
                > numbers in the temporary adjustment fields, but nothing is loaded
                at
                > all and I can't move between tabs.
                >
                > Perhaps this has something to do with the program being run on
                > Windows Mobile 2003, 2nd ed.? I have a very flexible and powerful
                > Axim (hell, it runs 3d games), but this seems to be failing every
                > time.
                >
                > I really like PCGEN and it would be AWESOME if this would work.
                >
                > Let me know if there is anything else you need.

                > Game
                > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                t=ms&k=Game+software&w1=Game+software&w2=Poker

                +games&w3=Computer+role+playing+game&w4=Role+playing+games&w5=Online+r
                ole+pl

                aying+games&w6=Role+playing+games+online&c=6&s=154&.sig=NGMMXc1POtb_FZ
                -BODl8
                > oQ> software
                >
                > Poker
                > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                t=ms&k=Poker+games&w1=Game+software&w2=Poker+g

                ames&w3=Computer+role+playing+game&w4=Role+playing+games&w5=Online+rol
                e+play

                ing+games&w6=Role+playing+games+online&c=6&s=154&.sig=4xQkSh0ZLa7O8Mrk
                POm5dw
                > > games
                >
                > Computer
                > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                t=ms&k=Computer+role+playing+game&w1=Game+soft

                ware&w2=Poker+games&w3=Computer+role+playing+game&w4=Role+playing+game
                s&w5=O

                nline+role+playing+games&w6=Role+playing+games+online&c=6&s=154&.sig=0
                Trvv9d
                > qe-lXINB239Zb1w> role playing game
                >

                > Role
                > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                t=ms&k=Role+playing+games&w1=Game+software&w2=

                Poker+games&w3=Computer+role+playing+game&w4=Role+playing+games&w5=Onl
                ine+ro

                le+playing+games&w6=Role+playing+games+online&c=6&s=154&.sig=JMoq530t6
                fVDGH8
                > oDw7iCw> playing games
                >
                > Online
                > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                t=ms&k=Online+role+playing+games&w1=Game+softw

                are&w2=Poker+games&w3=Computer+role+playing+game&w4=Role+playing+games
                &w5=On

                line+role+playing+games&w6=Role+playing+games+online&c=6&s=154&.sig=9X
                5MDxdo
                > TrI1iumXJh-NvQ> role playing games
                >
                > Role
                > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                t=ms&k=Role+playing+games+online&w1=Game+softw

                are&w2=Poker+games&w3=Computer+role+playing+game&w4=Role+playing+games
                &w5=On

                line+role+playing+games&w6=Role+playing+games+online&c=6&s=154&.sig=iL
                FtBBOK

                <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PCGScry> "

                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 9, 2005
                  You may have to do a little research, as my Axim x5 didn't say either. I
                  haven't heard of any new processor base yet. Anything is possible though.
                  If you use the installer, it will pick the appropriate model, and install
                  it. This installer is located on the group file share.