RE: [PCGScry] Re: loading difficulty

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005
      Ok, I got a few minutes to eyeball things here at work.

      > Both used the standard character XML output file

      This is your problem. The old .xml you are using is producing bad XML
      (as well as bad output from PCGen). You're getting things like:

      - <class>
      <fullname>CLASS0</fullname>
      <shortname>CLASSABB0</shortname>
      <level>CLASS0.LEVEL</level>
      </class>

      And

      - <str>
      <score>STAT0</score>
      <mod>STAT0.MOD</mod>
      </str>

      And

      - <initiative>
      <total>+2</total>
      <dex>STAT1.MOD</dex>
      <misc>+0</misc>
      </initiative>

      Any of these could be causing problems where the program is expecting a
      number and getting "STAT1.MOD" when it reads the XML file.

      If you take it and try and load it in your browser it will give you an
      error as well, which is another thing that PCGScry could be choking on.

      The actual error is:
      A CDATA section was not closed. Error processing
      resource 'https://coremail2.core.com/nm/index/Mallick%20E%27Nath.xml?
      actio...

      I believe both of the new sheets (mine and Ed's) have removed or fixed
      the CDATA problem.

      Upshot: Use one of the new .xml templates. :)

      Barak
    • Joe Medica
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005
        --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <barak@v...> wrote:

        > > Two files I exported to use with PCSCRYÂ… One is mine (Mallick),
        the
        > > other is one of the ones off the Group list. Neither one works
        in
        > > PCSCRY. Both used the standard character XML output file, not
        the
        > > new one Barak loaded.
        >
        > I'll look at them when I get home tonight.
        >
        > > I couldn't even get that one to produce a file that could be read
        in,

        > What do you mean by this? PCGen didn't produce an output file
        using
        > the template I uploaded?

        I used the template to create an XML output file, but PCSCRY could
        not read it. File added to the files list. I am using 5.8.0.

        > Are you using PCGen 5.8.0? That's required for the sheet I
        uploaded.

        > > the old ones produced a file, but it never loaded. The
        application
        > > started, but the character sheet froze.
        >
        > I'm still confused as to the distinction you're making here... what
        is
        > the difference between what you get with my template and these?
        >
        > Barak

        The distinction is that the old files will load into PCSCRY, and then
        freeze. Your template will not load. I created one with your
        template, one with version 500e and one with version 3. All are in
        the List's file directory.

        THANKS!

        Joe
      • Joe Medica
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005
          Now that you point it out, I see the error. I have created the
          character with your template, but it still locks up the application
          on the hendheld. The output looks clean (included in the ZIP file I
          loaded, its the one without a version number), but I still have
          issues with it loading. Nothing comes up on the screen. I can enter
          numbers in the temporary adjustment fields, but nothing is loaded at
          all and I can't move between tabs.

          Perhaps this has something to do with the program being run on
          Windows Mobile 2003, 2nd ed.? I have a very flexible and powerful
          Axim (hell, it runs 3d games), but this seems to be failing every
          time.

          I really like PCGEN and it would be AWESOME if this would work.

          Let me know if there is anything else you need.

          Joe

          --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <barak@v...> wrote:
          > Ok, I got a few minutes to eyeball things here at work.
          >
          > > Both used the standard character XML output file
          >
          > This is your problem. The old .xml you are using is producing bad
          XML
          > (as well as bad output from PCGen). You're getting things like:
          >
          > - <class>
          > <fullname>CLASS0</fullname>
          > <shortname>CLASSABB0</shortname>
          > <level>CLASS0.LEVEL</level>
          > </class>
          >
          > And
          >
          > - <str>
          > <score>STAT0</score>
          > <mod>STAT0.MOD</mod>
          > </str>
          >
          > And
          >
          > - <initiative>
          > <total>+2</total>
          > <dex>STAT1.MOD</dex>
          > <misc>+0</misc>
          > </initiative>
          >
          > Any of these could be causing problems where the program is
          expecting a
          > number and getting "STAT1.MOD" when it reads the XML file.
          >
          > If you take it and try and load it in your browser it will give you
          an
          > error as well, which is another thing that PCGScry could be choking
          on.

          > The actual error is:
          > A CDATA section was not closed. Error processing
          > resource 'https://coremail2.core.com/nm/index/Mallick%20E%
          27Nath.xml?
          > actio...
          >
          > I believe both of the new sheets (mine and Ed's) have removed or
          fixed
          > the CDATA problem.
          >
          > Upshot: Use one of the new .xml templates. :)
          >
          > Barak
        • Barak
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005
            I'll grab your zip and take a look.

            Now that you point it out, I see the error.  I have created the
            character with your template, but it still locks up the application
            on the hendheld.  The output looks clean (included in the ZIP file I
            loaded, its the one without a version number), but I still have
            issues with it loading.  Nothing comes up on the screen.  I can enter
            numbers in the temporary adjustment fields, but nothing is loaded at
            all and I can't move between tabs.

            Perhaps this has something to do with the program being run on
            Windows Mobile 2003, 2nd ed.?  I have a very flexible and powerful
            Axim (hell, it runs 3d games), but this seems to be failing every
            time.

            I really like PCGEN and it would be AWESOME if this would work.

            Let me know if there is anything else you need.

            Joe

            --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <barak@v...> wrote:
            > Ok, I got a few minutes to eyeball things here at work.
            >
            > > Both used the standard character XML output file
            >
            > This is your problem.  The old .xml you are using is producing bad
            XML
            > (as well as bad output from PCGen).  You're getting things like:
            >
            > - <class>
            >   <fullname>CLASS0</fullname>
            >   <shortname>CLASSABB0</shortname>
            >   <level>CLASS0.LEVEL</level>
            >   </class>
            >
            > And
            >
            > - <str>
            >   <score>STAT0</score>
            >   <mod>STAT0.MOD</mod>
            >   </str>
            >
            > And
            >
            > - <initiative>
            >   <total>+2</total>
            >   <dex>STAT1.MOD</dex>
            >   <misc>+0</misc>
            >   </initiative>
            >
            > Any of these could be causing problems where the program is
            expecting a
            > number and getting "STAT1.MOD" when it reads the XML file.
            >
            > If you take it and try and load it in your browser it will give you
            an
            > error as well, which is another thing that PCGScry could be choking
            on.

            > The actual error is:
            > A CDATA section was not closed. Error processing
            > resource 'https://coremail2.core.com/nm/index/Mallick%20E%
            27Nath.xml?
            > actio...
            >
            > I believe both of the new sheets (mine and Ed's) have removed or
            fixed
            > the CDATA problem.
            >
            > Upshot:  Use one of the new .xml templates.  :)
            >
            > Barak

          • Barak
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005

              Well, I can load your character made with my template on my iPAQ...

              So, a question (brought on by your question that included your type of handheld):

              Are you sure you're using the version that is appropriate to your processor?  There is one on the original website for Pocket PCs with ARM processors (what I use), one for MIPS processors and one for SH3 processors.

              If you have some other processor, it may be that you won't be able to use the program, I really don't know.

              Barak

              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005

                The installer on the site, will install the proper version for your platform. … usually.  When your having prolonged problems with freezes and blank screens, my first suggestion is to uninstall and FULLY remove all registry entries.  There is a freeware proggy out their somewhere that will allow you to clear these entries.  Then do an install.

                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 9, 2005
                  Edwin,

                  I have a PXA270 processor according to my system info. Doesn't seem
                  to fit any of those described below. Is it possible that this
                  processor is not supported? If so, I would like to remove the
                  product, so can you tell me more about the registry editor you
                  mention below? I've tried a few of them, and they don't seemt o be
                  compatible. I tried uninstalling the program, but it says the files
                  are read only, and cannot be removed. Any ideas?

                  Joe

                  --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Edwin Holley" <eholley@c...> wrote:
                  > The installer on the site, will install the proper version for your
                  > platform. . usually. When your having prolonged problems with
                  freezes and
                  > blank screens, my first suggestion is to uninstall and FULLY remove
                  all
                  > registry entries. There is a freeware proggy out their somewhere
                  that will
                  > allow you to clear these entries. Then do an install.
                  >

                  > _____

                  Behalf Of
                  > Barak
                  > Sent: Wednesday, September 07, 2005 19:03
                  > To: PCGScry@yahoogroups.com
                  > Subject: RE: [PCGScry] Re: loading difficulty
                  >

                  > Well, I can load your character made with my template on my iPAQ...
                  >
                  > So, a question (brought on by your question that included your type
                  of
                  > handheld):
                  >
                  > Are you sure you're using the version that is appropriate to your
                  processor?
                  > There is one on the original website for Pocket PCs with ARM
                  processors
                  > (what I use), one for MIPS processors and one for SH3 processors.
                  >
                  > If you have some other processor, it may be that you won't be able
                  to use
                  > the program, I really don't know.
                  >
                  > Barak
                  >

                  > _____
                  >

                  > From: PCGScry@yahoogroups.com [mailto:PCGScry@yahoogroups.com] On
                  Behalf Of
                  > Joe Medica
                  >
                  > issues with it loading. Nothing comes up on the screen. I can
                  enter
                  > numbers in the temporary adjustment fields, but nothing is loaded
                  at
                  > all and I can't move between tabs.
                  >
                  > Perhaps this has something to do with the program being run on
                  > Windows Mobile 2003, 2nd ed.? I have a very flexible and powerful
                  > Axim (hell, it runs 3d games), but this seems to be failing every
                  > time.
                  >
                  > I really like PCGEN and it would be AWESOME if this would work.
                  >
                  > Let me know if there is anything else you need.

                  > Game
                  > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                  t=ms&k=Game+software&w1=Game+software&w2=Poker

                  +games&w3=Computer+role+playing+game&w4=Role+playing+games&w5=Online+r
                  ole+pl

                  aying+games&w6=Role+playing+games+online&c=6&s=154&.sig=NGMMXc1POtb_FZ
                  -BODl8
                  > oQ> software
                  >
                  > Poker
                  > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                  t=ms&k=Poker+games&w1=Game+software&w2=Poker+g

                  ames&w3=Computer+role+playing+game&w4=Role+playing+games&w5=Online+rol
                  e+play

                  ing+games&w6=Role+playing+games+online&c=6&s=154&.sig=4xQkSh0ZLa7O8Mrk
                  POm5dw
                  > > games
                  >
                  > Computer
                  > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                  t=ms&k=Computer+role+playing+game&w1=Game+soft

                  ware&w2=Poker+games&w3=Computer+role+playing+game&w4=Role+playing+game
                  s&w5=O

                  nline+role+playing+games&w6=Role+playing+games+online&c=6&s=154&.sig=0
                  Trvv9d
                  > qe-lXINB239Zb1w> role playing game
                  >

                  > Role
                  > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                  t=ms&k=Role+playing+games&w1=Game+software&w2=

                  Poker+games&w3=Computer+role+playing+game&w4=Role+playing+games&w5=Onl
                  ine+ro

                  le+playing+games&w6=Role+playing+games+online&c=6&s=154&.sig=JMoq530t6
                  fVDGH8
                  > oDw7iCw> playing games
                  >
                  > Online
                  > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                  t=ms&k=Online+role+playing+games&w1=Game+softw

                  are&w2=Poker+games&w3=Computer+role+playing+game&w4=Role+playing+games
                  &w5=On

                  line+role+playing+games&w6=Role+playing+games+online&c=6&s=154&.sig=9X
                  5MDxdo
                  > TrI1iumXJh-NvQ> role playing games
                  >
                  > Role
                  > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                  t=ms&k=Role+playing+games+online&w1=Game+softw

                  are&w2=Poker+games&w3=Computer+role+playing+game&w4=Role+playing+games
                  &w5=On

                  line+role+playing+games&w6=Role+playing+games+online&c=6&s=154&.sig=iL
                  FtBBOK

                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PCGScry> "

                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 9, 2005
                    You may have to do a little research, as my Axim x5 didn't say either. I
                    haven't heard of any new processor base yet. Anything is possible though.
                    If you use the installer, it will pick the appropriate model, and install
                    it. This installer is located on the group file share.