RE: [PCGScry] Re: loading difficulty

  • Joe Medica
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 6, 2005

      Two files I exported to use with PCSCRY…  One is mine (Mallick), the other is one of the ones off the Group list.  Neither one works in PCSCRY.  Both used the standard character XML output file, not the new one Barak loaded.  I couldn't even get that one to produce a file that could be read in, the old ones produced a file, but it never loaded.  The application started, but the character sheet froze.

      Joe Medica

      "Wherever you go, there you are...", Buckaroo Bonzai

    • Chris
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005
        > Two files I exported to use with PCSCRY… One is mine (Mallick), the
        > other is one of the ones off the Group list. Neither one works in
        > PCSCRY. Both used the standard character XML output file, not the
        > new one Barak loaded.

        I'll look at them when I get home tonight.

        > I couldn't even get that one to produce a file that could be read in,

        What do you mean by this? PCGen didn't produce an output file using
        the template I uploaded?

        Are you using PCGen 5.8.0? That's required for the sheet I uploaded.

        > the old ones produced a file, but it never loaded. The application
        > started, but the character sheet froze.

        I'm still confused as to the distinction you're making here... what is
        the difference between what you get with my template and these?

        Barak
      • Chris
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005
          Ok, I got a few minutes to eyeball things here at work.

          > Both used the standard character XML output file

          This is your problem. The old .xml you are using is producing bad XML
          (as well as bad output from PCGen). You're getting things like:

          - <class>
          <fullname>CLASS0</fullname>
          <shortname>CLASSABB0</shortname>
          <level>CLASS0.LEVEL</level>
          </class>

          And

          - <str>
          <score>STAT0</score>
          <mod>STAT0.MOD</mod>
          </str>

          And

          - <initiative>
          <total>+2</total>
          <dex>STAT1.MOD</dex>
          <misc>+0</misc>
          </initiative>

          Any of these could be causing problems where the program is expecting a
          number and getting "STAT1.MOD" when it reads the XML file.

          If you take it and try and load it in your browser it will give you an
          error as well, which is another thing that PCGScry could be choking on.

          The actual error is:
          A CDATA section was not closed. Error processing
          resource 'https://coremail2.core.com/nm/index/Mallick%20E%27Nath.xml?
          actio...

          I believe both of the new sheets (mine and Ed's) have removed or fixed
          the CDATA problem.

          Upshot: Use one of the new .xml templates. :)

          Barak
        • Joe Medica
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005
            --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <barak@v...> wrote:

            > > Two files I exported to use with PCSCRY… One is mine (Mallick),
            the
            > > other is one of the ones off the Group list. Neither one works
            in
            > > PCSCRY. Both used the standard character XML output file, not
            the
            > > new one Barak loaded.
            >
            > I'll look at them when I get home tonight.
            >
            > > I couldn't even get that one to produce a file that could be read
            in,

            > What do you mean by this? PCGen didn't produce an output file
            using
            > the template I uploaded?

            I used the template to create an XML output file, but PCSCRY could
            not read it. File added to the files list. I am using 5.8.0.

            > Are you using PCGen 5.8.0? That's required for the sheet I
            uploaded.

            > > the old ones produced a file, but it never loaded. The
            application
            > > started, but the character sheet froze.
            >
            > I'm still confused as to the distinction you're making here... what
            is
            > the difference between what you get with my template and these?
            >
            > Barak

            The distinction is that the old files will load into PCSCRY, and then
            freeze. Your template will not load. I created one with your
            template, one with version 500e and one with version 3. All are in
            the List's file directory.

            THANKS!

            Joe
          • Joe Medica
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005
              Now that you point it out, I see the error. I have created the
              character with your template, but it still locks up the application
              on the hendheld. The output looks clean (included in the ZIP file I
              loaded, its the one without a version number), but I still have
              issues with it loading. Nothing comes up on the screen. I can enter
              numbers in the temporary adjustment fields, but nothing is loaded at
              all and I can't move between tabs.

              Perhaps this has something to do with the program being run on
              Windows Mobile 2003, 2nd ed.? I have a very flexible and powerful
              Axim (hell, it runs 3d games), but this seems to be failing every
              time.

              I really like PCGEN and it would be AWESOME if this would work.

              Let me know if there is anything else you need.

              Joe

              --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <barak@v...> wrote:
              > Ok, I got a few minutes to eyeball things here at work.
              >
              > > Both used the standard character XML output file
              >
              > This is your problem. The old .xml you are using is producing bad
              XML
              > (as well as bad output from PCGen). You're getting things like:
              >
              > - <class>
              > <fullname>CLASS0</fullname>
              > <shortname>CLASSABB0</shortname>
              > <level>CLASS0.LEVEL</level>
              > </class>
              >
              > And
              >
              > - <str>
              > <score>STAT0</score>
              > <mod>STAT0.MOD</mod>
              > </str>
              >
              > And
              >
              > - <initiative>
              > <total>+2</total>
              > <dex>STAT1.MOD</dex>
              > <misc>+0</misc>
              > </initiative>
              >
              > Any of these could be causing problems where the program is
              expecting a
              > number and getting "STAT1.MOD" when it reads the XML file.
              >
              > If you take it and try and load it in your browser it will give you
              an
              > error as well, which is another thing that PCGScry could be choking
              on.

              > The actual error is:
              > A CDATA section was not closed. Error processing
              > resource 'https://coremail2.core.com/nm/index/Mallick%20E%
              27Nath.xml?
              > actio...
              >
              > I believe both of the new sheets (mine and Ed's) have removed or
              fixed
              > the CDATA problem.
              >
              > Upshot: Use one of the new .xml templates. :)
              >
              > Barak
            • Barak
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005
                I'll grab your zip and take a look.

                Now that you point it out, I see the error.  I have created the
                character with your template, but it still locks up the application
                on the hendheld.  The output looks clean (included in the ZIP file I
                loaded, its the one without a version number), but I still have
                issues with it loading.  Nothing comes up on the screen.  I can enter
                numbers in the temporary adjustment fields, but nothing is loaded at
                all and I can't move between tabs.

                Perhaps this has something to do with the program being run on
                Windows Mobile 2003, 2nd ed.?  I have a very flexible and powerful
                Axim (hell, it runs 3d games), but this seems to be failing every
                time.

                I really like PCGEN and it would be AWESOME if this would work.

                Let me know if there is anything else you need.

                Joe

                --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <barak@v...> wrote:
                > Ok, I got a few minutes to eyeball things here at work.
                >
                > > Both used the standard character XML output file
                >
                > This is your problem.  The old .xml you are using is producing bad
                XML
                > (as well as bad output from PCGen).  You're getting things like:
                >
                > - <class>
                >   <fullname>CLASS0</fullname>
                >   <shortname>CLASSABB0</shortname>
                >   <level>CLASS0.LEVEL</level>
                >   </class>
                >
                > And
                >
                > - <str>
                >   <score>STAT0</score>
                >   <mod>STAT0.MOD</mod>
                >   </str>
                >
                > And
                >
                > - <initiative>
                >   <total>+2</total>
                >   <dex>STAT1.MOD</dex>
                >   <misc>+0</misc>
                >   </initiative>
                >
                > Any of these could be causing problems where the program is
                expecting a
                > number and getting "STAT1.MOD" when it reads the XML file.
                >
                > If you take it and try and load it in your browser it will give you
                an
                > error as well, which is another thing that PCGScry could be choking
                on.

                > The actual error is:
                > A CDATA section was not closed. Error processing
                > resource 'https://coremail2.core.com/nm/index/Mallick%20E%
                27Nath.xml?
                > actio...
                >
                > I believe both of the new sheets (mine and Ed's) have removed or
                fixed
                > the CDATA problem.
                >
                > Upshot:  Use one of the new .xml templates.  :)
                >
                > Barak

              • Barak
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005

                  Well, I can load your character made with my template on my iPAQ...

                  So, a question (brought on by your question that included your type of handheld):

                  Are you sure you're using the version that is appropriate to your processor?  There is one on the original website for Pocket PCs with ARM processors (what I use), one for MIPS processors and one for SH3 processors.

                  If you have some other processor, it may be that you won't be able to use the program, I really don't know.

                  Barak

                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005

                    The installer on the site, will install the proper version for your platform. … usually.  When your having prolonged problems with freezes and blank screens, my first suggestion is to uninstall and FULLY remove all registry entries.  There is a freeware proggy out their somewhere that will allow you to clear these entries.  Then do an install.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 9, 2005
                      Edwin,

                      I have a PXA270 processor according to my system info. Doesn't seem
                      to fit any of those described below. Is it possible that this
                      processor is not supported? If so, I would like to remove the
                      product, so can you tell me more about the registry editor you
                      mention below? I've tried a few of them, and they don't seemt o be
                      compatible. I tried uninstalling the program, but it says the files
                      are read only, and cannot be removed. Any ideas?

                      Joe

                      --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Edwin Holley" <eholley@c...> wrote:
                      > The installer on the site, will install the proper version for your
                      > platform. . usually. When your having prolonged problems with
                      freezes and
                      > blank screens, my first suggestion is to uninstall and FULLY remove
                      all
                      > registry entries. There is a freeware proggy out their somewhere
                      that will
                      > allow you to clear these entries. Then do an install.
                      >

                      > _____

                      Behalf Of
                      > Barak
                      > Sent: Wednesday, September 07, 2005 19:03
                      > To: PCGScry@yahoogroups.com
                      > Subject: RE: [PCGScry] Re: loading difficulty
                      >

                      > Well, I can load your character made with my template on my iPAQ...
                      >
                      > So, a question (brought on by your question that included your type
                      of
                      > handheld):
                      >
                      > Are you sure you're using the version that is appropriate to your
                      processor?
                      > There is one on the original website for Pocket PCs with ARM
                      processors
                      > (what I use), one for MIPS processors and one for SH3 processors.
                      >
                      > If you have some other processor, it may be that you won't be able
                      to use
                      > the program, I really don't know.
                      >
                      > Barak
                      >

                      > _____
                      >

                      > From: PCGScry@yahoogroups.com [mailto:PCGScry@yahoogroups.com] On
                      Behalf Of
                      > Joe Medica
                      >
                      > issues with it loading. Nothing comes up on the screen. I can
                      enter
                      > numbers in the temporary adjustment fields, but nothing is loaded
                      at
                      > all and I can't move between tabs.
                      >
                      > Perhaps this has something to do with the program being run on
                      > Windows Mobile 2003, 2nd ed.? I have a very flexible and powerful
                      > Axim (hell, it runs 3d games), but this seems to be failing every
                      > time.
                      >
                      > I really like PCGEN and it would be AWESOME if this would work.
                      >
                      > Let me know if there is anything else you need.

                      > Game
                      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                      t=ms&k=Game+software&w1=Game+software&w2=Poker

                      +games&w3=Computer+role+playing+game&w4=Role+playing+games&w5=Online+r
                      ole+pl

                      aying+games&w6=Role+playing+games+online&c=6&s=154&.sig=NGMMXc1POtb_FZ
                      -BODl8
                      > oQ> software
                      >
                      > Poker
                      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                      t=ms&k=Poker+games&w1=Game+software&w2=Poker+g

                      ames&w3=Computer+role+playing+game&w4=Role+playing+games&w5=Online+rol
                      e+play

                      ing+games&w6=Role+playing+games+online&c=6&s=154&.sig=4xQkSh0ZLa7O8Mrk
                      POm5dw
                      > > games
                      >
                      > Computer
                      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                      t=ms&k=Computer+role+playing+game&w1=Game+soft

                      ware&w2=Poker+games&w3=Computer+role+playing+game&w4=Role+playing+game
                      s&w5=O

                      nline+role+playing+games&w6=Role+playing+games+online&c=6&s=154&.sig=0
                      Trvv9d
                      > qe-lXINB239Zb1w> role playing game
                      >

                      > Role
                      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                      t=ms&k=Role+playing+games&w1=Game+software&w2=

                      Poker+games&w3=Computer+role+playing+game&w4=Role+playing+games&w5=Onl
                      ine+ro

                      le+playing+games&w6=Role+playing+games+online&c=6&s=154&.sig=JMoq530t6
                      fVDGH8
                      > oDw7iCw> playing games
                      >
                      > Online
                      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                      t=ms&k=Online+role+playing+games&w1=Game+softw

                      are&w2=Poker+games&w3=Computer+role+playing+game&w4=Role+playing+games
                      &w5=On

                      line+role+playing+games&w6=Role+playing+games+online&c=6&s=154&.sig=9X
                      5MDxdo
                      > TrI1iumXJh-NvQ> role playing games
                      >
                      > Role
                      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                      t=ms&k=Role+playing+games+online&w1=Game+softw

                      are&w2=Poker+games&w3=Computer+role+playing+game&w4=Role+playing+games
                      &w5=On

                      line+role+playing+games&w6=Role+playing+games+online&c=6&s=154&.sig=iL
                      FtBBOK

                      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PCGScry> "

                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 9, 2005
                        You may have to do a little research, as my Axim x5 didn't say either. I
                        haven't heard of any new processor base yet. Anything is possible though.
                        If you use the installer, it will pick the appropriate model, and install
                        it. This installer is located on the group file share.