RE: [PCGScry] Re: loading difficulty

  • Joe Medica
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 2, 2005

      I have to get the files off the PDA at work on Tuesday and then send them home to this email address since thy killed the POP access at wok.  After that, I’ll send them up to you.  I get the same thin as below – file on the PDA, I open PCScry and access a sheet, then nothing.  Screen flickers and then the application locks up.

      Joe Medica

      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 6, 2005

        Two files I exported to use with PCSCRY…  One is mine (Mallick), the other is one of the ones off the Group list.  Neither one works in PCSCRY.  Both used the standard character XML output file, not the new one Barak loaded.  I couldn't even get that one to produce a file that could be read in, the old ones produced a file, but it never loaded.  The application started, but the character sheet froze.

        Joe Medica

        "Wherever you go, there you are...", Buckaroo Bonzai

      • Chris
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005
          > Two files I exported to use with PCSCRY… One is mine (Mallick), the
          > other is one of the ones off the Group list. Neither one works in
          > PCSCRY. Both used the standard character XML output file, not the
          > new one Barak loaded.

          I'll look at them when I get home tonight.

          > I couldn't even get that one to produce a file that could be read in,

          What do you mean by this? PCGen didn't produce an output file using
          the template I uploaded?

          Are you using PCGen 5.8.0? That's required for the sheet I uploaded.

          > the old ones produced a file, but it never loaded. The application
          > started, but the character sheet froze.

          I'm still confused as to the distinction you're making here... what is
          the difference between what you get with my template and these?

          Barak
        • Chris
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005
            Ok, I got a few minutes to eyeball things here at work.

            > Both used the standard character XML output file

            This is your problem. The old .xml you are using is producing bad XML
            (as well as bad output from PCGen). You're getting things like:

            - <class>
            <fullname>CLASS0</fullname>
            <shortname>CLASSABB0</shortname>
            <level>CLASS0.LEVEL</level>
            </class>

            And

            - <str>
            <score>STAT0</score>
            <mod>STAT0.MOD</mod>
            </str>

            And

            - <initiative>
            <total>+2</total>
            <dex>STAT1.MOD</dex>
            <misc>+0</misc>
            </initiative>

            Any of these could be causing problems where the program is expecting a
            number and getting "STAT1.MOD" when it reads the XML file.

            If you take it and try and load it in your browser it will give you an
            error as well, which is another thing that PCGScry could be choking on.

            The actual error is:
            A CDATA section was not closed. Error processing
            resource 'https://coremail2.core.com/nm/index/Mallick%20E%27Nath.xml?
            actio...

            I believe both of the new sheets (mine and Ed's) have removed or fixed
            the CDATA problem.

            Upshot: Use one of the new .xml templates. :)

            Barak
          • Joe Medica
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005
              --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <barak@v...> wrote:

              > > Two files I exported to use with PCSCRY… One is mine (Mallick),
              the
              > > other is one of the ones off the Group list. Neither one works
              in
              > > PCSCRY. Both used the standard character XML output file, not
              the
              > > new one Barak loaded.
              >
              > I'll look at them when I get home tonight.
              >
              > > I couldn't even get that one to produce a file that could be read
              in,

              > What do you mean by this? PCGen didn't produce an output file
              using
              > the template I uploaded?

              I used the template to create an XML output file, but PCSCRY could
              not read it. File added to the files list. I am using 5.8.0.

              > Are you using PCGen 5.8.0? That's required for the sheet I
              uploaded.

              > > the old ones produced a file, but it never loaded. The
              application
              > > started, but the character sheet froze.
              >
              > I'm still confused as to the distinction you're making here... what
              is
              > the difference between what you get with my template and these?
              >
              > Barak

              The distinction is that the old files will load into PCSCRY, and then
              freeze. Your template will not load. I created one with your
              template, one with version 500e and one with version 3. All are in
              the List's file directory.

              THANKS!

              Joe
            • Joe Medica
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005
                Now that you point it out, I see the error. I have created the
                character with your template, but it still locks up the application
                on the hendheld. The output looks clean (included in the ZIP file I
                loaded, its the one without a version number), but I still have
                issues with it loading. Nothing comes up on the screen. I can enter
                numbers in the temporary adjustment fields, but nothing is loaded at
                all and I can't move between tabs.

                Perhaps this has something to do with the program being run on
                Windows Mobile 2003, 2nd ed.? I have a very flexible and powerful
                Axim (hell, it runs 3d games), but this seems to be failing every
                time.

                I really like PCGEN and it would be AWESOME if this would work.

                Let me know if there is anything else you need.

                Joe

                --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <barak@v...> wrote:
                > Ok, I got a few minutes to eyeball things here at work.
                >
                > > Both used the standard character XML output file
                >
                > This is your problem. The old .xml you are using is producing bad
                XML
                > (as well as bad output from PCGen). You're getting things like:
                >
                > - <class>
                > <fullname>CLASS0</fullname>
                > <shortname>CLASSABB0</shortname>
                > <level>CLASS0.LEVEL</level>
                > </class>
                >
                > And
                >
                > - <str>
                > <score>STAT0</score>
                > <mod>STAT0.MOD</mod>
                > </str>
                >
                > And
                >
                > - <initiative>
                > <total>+2</total>
                > <dex>STAT1.MOD</dex>
                > <misc>+0</misc>
                > </initiative>
                >
                > Any of these could be causing problems where the program is
                expecting a
                > number and getting "STAT1.MOD" when it reads the XML file.
                >
                > If you take it and try and load it in your browser it will give you
                an
                > error as well, which is another thing that PCGScry could be choking
                on.

                > The actual error is:
                > A CDATA section was not closed. Error processing
                > resource 'https://coremail2.core.com/nm/index/Mallick%20E%
                27Nath.xml?
                > actio...
                >
                > I believe both of the new sheets (mine and Ed's) have removed or
                fixed
                > the CDATA problem.
                >
                > Upshot: Use one of the new .xml templates. :)
                >
                > Barak
              • Barak
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005
                  I'll grab your zip and take a look.

                  Now that you point it out, I see the error.  I have created the
                  character with your template, but it still locks up the application
                  on the hendheld.  The output looks clean (included in the ZIP file I
                  loaded, its the one without a version number), but I still have
                  issues with it loading.  Nothing comes up on the screen.  I can enter
                  numbers in the temporary adjustment fields, but nothing is loaded at
                  all and I can't move between tabs.

                  Perhaps this has something to do with the program being run on
                  Windows Mobile 2003, 2nd ed.?  I have a very flexible and powerful
                  Axim (hell, it runs 3d games), but this seems to be failing every
                  time.

                  I really like PCGEN and it would be AWESOME if this would work.

                  Let me know if there is anything else you need.

                  Joe

                  --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <barak@v...> wrote:
                  > Ok, I got a few minutes to eyeball things here at work.
                  >
                  > > Both used the standard character XML output file
                  >
                  > This is your problem.  The old .xml you are using is producing bad
                  XML
                  > (as well as bad output from PCGen).  You're getting things like:
                  >
                  > - <class>
                  >   <fullname>CLASS0</fullname>
                  >   <shortname>CLASSABB0</shortname>
                  >   <level>CLASS0.LEVEL</level>
                  >   </class>
                  >
                  > And
                  >
                  > - <str>
                  >   <score>STAT0</score>
                  >   <mod>STAT0.MOD</mod>
                  >   </str>
                  >
                  > And
                  >
                  > - <initiative>
                  >   <total>+2</total>
                  >   <dex>STAT1.MOD</dex>
                  >   <misc>+0</misc>
                  >   </initiative>
                  >
                  > Any of these could be causing problems where the program is
                  expecting a
                  > number and getting "STAT1.MOD" when it reads the XML file.
                  >
                  > If you take it and try and load it in your browser it will give you
                  an
                  > error as well, which is another thing that PCGScry could be choking
                  on.

                  > The actual error is:
                  > A CDATA section was not closed. Error processing
                  > resource 'https://coremail2.core.com/nm/index/Mallick%20E%
                  27Nath.xml?
                  > actio...
                  >
                  > I believe both of the new sheets (mine and Ed's) have removed or
                  fixed
                  > the CDATA problem.
                  >
                  > Upshot:  Use one of the new .xml templates.  :)
                  >
                  > Barak

                • Barak
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005

                    Well, I can load your character made with my template on my iPAQ...

                    So, a question (brought on by your question that included your type of handheld):

                    Are you sure you're using the version that is appropriate to your processor?  There is one on the original website for Pocket PCs with ARM processors (what I use), one for MIPS processors and one for SH3 processors.

                    If you have some other processor, it may be that you won't be able to use the program, I really don't know.

                    Barak

                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005

                      The installer on the site, will install the proper version for your platform. … usually.  When your having prolonged problems with freezes and blank screens, my first suggestion is to uninstall and FULLY remove all registry entries.  There is a freeware proggy out their somewhere that will allow you to clear these entries.  Then do an install.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 9, 2005
                        Edwin,

                        I have a PXA270 processor according to my system info. Doesn't seem
                        to fit any of those described below. Is it possible that this
                        processor is not supported? If so, I would like to remove the
                        product, so can you tell me more about the registry editor you
                        mention below? I've tried a few of them, and they don't seemt o be
                        compatible. I tried uninstalling the program, but it says the files
                        are read only, and cannot be removed. Any ideas?

                        Joe

                        --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Edwin Holley" <eholley@c...> wrote:
                        > The installer on the site, will install the proper version for your
                        > platform. . usually. When your having prolonged problems with
                        freezes and
                        > blank screens, my first suggestion is to uninstall and FULLY remove
                        all
                        > registry entries. There is a freeware proggy out their somewhere
                        that will
                        > allow you to clear these entries. Then do an install.
                        >

                        > _____

                        Behalf Of
                        > Barak
                        > Sent: Wednesday, September 07, 2005 19:03
                        > To: PCGScry@yahoogroups.com
                        > Subject: RE: [PCGScry] Re: loading difficulty
                        >

                        > Well, I can load your character made with my template on my iPAQ...
                        >
                        > So, a question (brought on by your question that included your type
                        of
                        > handheld):
                        >
                        > Are you sure you're using the version that is appropriate to your
                        processor?
                        > There is one on the original website for Pocket PCs with ARM
                        processors
                        > (what I use), one for MIPS processors and one for SH3 processors.
                        >
                        > If you have some other processor, it may be that you won't be able
                        to use
                        > the program, I really don't know.
                        >
                        > Barak
                        >

                        > _____
                        >

                        > From: PCGScry@yahoogroups.com [mailto:PCGScry@yahoogroups.com] On
                        Behalf Of
                        > Joe Medica
                        >
                        > issues with it loading. Nothing comes up on the screen. I can
                        enter
                        > numbers in the temporary adjustment fields, but nothing is loaded
                        at
                        > all and I can't move between tabs.
                        >
                        > Perhaps this has something to do with the program being run on
                        > Windows Mobile 2003, 2nd ed.? I have a very flexible and powerful
                        > Axim (hell, it runs 3d games), but this seems to be failing every
                        > time.
                        >
                        > I really like PCGEN and it would be AWESOME if this would work.
                        >
                        > Let me know if there is anything else you need.

                        > Game
                        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                        t=ms&k=Game+software&w1=Game+software&w2=Poker

                        +games&w3=Computer+role+playing+game&w4=Role+playing+games&w5=Online+r
                        ole+pl

                        aying+games&w6=Role+playing+games+online&c=6&s=154&.sig=NGMMXc1POtb_FZ
                        -BODl8
                        > oQ> software
                        >
                        > Poker
                        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                        t=ms&k=Poker+games&w1=Game+software&w2=Poker+g

                        ames&w3=Computer+role+playing+game&w4=Role+playing+games&w5=Online+rol
                        e+play

                        ing+games&w6=Role+playing+games+online&c=6&s=154&.sig=4xQkSh0ZLa7O8Mrk
                        POm5dw
                        > > games
                        >
                        > Computer
                        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                        t=ms&k=Computer+role+playing+game&w1=Game+soft

                        ware&w2=Poker+games&w3=Computer+role+playing+game&w4=Role+playing+game
                        s&w5=O

                        nline+role+playing+games&w6=Role+playing+games+online&c=6&s=154&.sig=0
                        Trvv9d
                        > qe-lXINB239Zb1w> role playing game
                        >

                        > Role
                        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                        t=ms&k=Role+playing+games&w1=Game+software&w2=

                        Poker+games&w3=Computer+role+playing+game&w4=Role+playing+games&w5=Onl
                        ine+ro

                        le+playing+games&w6=Role+playing+games+online&c=6&s=154&.sig=JMoq530t6
                        fVDGH8
                        > oDw7iCw> playing games
                        >
                        > Online
                        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                        t=ms&k=Online+role+playing+games&w1=Game+softw

                        are&w2=Poker+games&w3=Computer+role+playing+game&w4=Role+playing+games
                        &w5=On

                        line+role+playing+games&w6=Role+playing+games+online&c=6&s=154&.sig=9X
                        5MDxdo
                        > TrI1iumXJh-NvQ> role playing games
                        >
                        > Role
                        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                        t=ms&k=Role+playing+games+online&w1=Game+softw

                        are&w2=Poker+games&w3=Computer+role+playing+game&w4=Role+playing+games
                        &w5=On

                        line+role+playing+games&w6=Role+playing+games+online&c=6&s=154&.sig=iL
                        FtBBOK

                        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PCGScry> "

                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 9, 2005
                          You may have to do a little research, as my Axim x5 didn't say either. I
                          haven't heard of any new processor base yet. Anything is possible though.
                          If you use the installer, it will pick the appropriate model, and install
                          it. This installer is located on the group file share.