RE: [PCGScry] Re: loading difficulty

    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 2, 2005
      Have you looked at the exported character? If this contains blank fields
      and such, it is not a PCGScry problem, it is probably OS related.

      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 2, 2005

        I have to get the files off the PDA at work on Tuesday and then send them home to this email address since thy killed the POP access at wok.  After that, I’ll send them up to you.  I get the same thin as below – file on the PDA, I open PCScry and access a sheet, then nothing.  Screen flickers and then the application locks up.

        Joe Medica

        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 6, 2005

          Two files I exported to use with PCSCRY…  One is mine (Mallick), the other is one of the ones off the Group list.  Neither one works in PCSCRY.  Both used the standard character XML output file, not the new one Barak loaded.  I couldn't even get that one to produce a file that could be read in, the old ones produced a file, but it never loaded.  The application started, but the character sheet froze.

          Joe Medica

          "Wherever you go, there you are...", Buckaroo Bonzai

        • Chris
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005
            > Two files I exported to use with PCSCRY… One is mine (Mallick), the
            > other is one of the ones off the Group list. Neither one works in
            > PCSCRY. Both used the standard character XML output file, not the
            > new one Barak loaded.

            I'll look at them when I get home tonight.

            > I couldn't even get that one to produce a file that could be read in,

            What do you mean by this? PCGen didn't produce an output file using
            the template I uploaded?

            Are you using PCGen 5.8.0? That's required for the sheet I uploaded.

            > the old ones produced a file, but it never loaded. The application
            > started, but the character sheet froze.

            I'm still confused as to the distinction you're making here... what is
            the difference between what you get with my template and these?

            Barak
          • Chris
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005
              Ok, I got a few minutes to eyeball things here at work.

              > Both used the standard character XML output file

              This is your problem. The old .xml you are using is producing bad XML
              (as well as bad output from PCGen). You're getting things like:

              - <class>
              <fullname>CLASS0</fullname>
              <shortname>CLASSABB0</shortname>
              <level>CLASS0.LEVEL</level>
              </class>

              And

              - <str>
              <score>STAT0</score>
              <mod>STAT0.MOD</mod>
              </str>

              And

              - <initiative>
              <total>+2</total>
              <dex>STAT1.MOD</dex>
              <misc>+0</misc>
              </initiative>

              Any of these could be causing problems where the program is expecting a
              number and getting "STAT1.MOD" when it reads the XML file.

              If you take it and try and load it in your browser it will give you an
              error as well, which is another thing that PCGScry could be choking on.

              The actual error is:
              A CDATA section was not closed. Error processing
              resource 'https://coremail2.core.com/nm/index/Mallick%20E%27Nath.xml?
              actio...

              I believe both of the new sheets (mine and Ed's) have removed or fixed
              the CDATA problem.

              Upshot: Use one of the new .xml templates. :)

              Barak
            • Joe Medica
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005
                --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <barak@v...> wrote:

                > > Two files I exported to use with PCSCRY… One is mine (Mallick),
                the
                > > other is one of the ones off the Group list. Neither one works
                in
                > > PCSCRY. Both used the standard character XML output file, not
                the
                > > new one Barak loaded.
                >
                > I'll look at them when I get home tonight.
                >
                > > I couldn't even get that one to produce a file that could be read
                in,

                > What do you mean by this? PCGen didn't produce an output file
                using
                > the template I uploaded?

                I used the template to create an XML output file, but PCSCRY could
                not read it. File added to the files list. I am using 5.8.0.

                > Are you using PCGen 5.8.0? That's required for the sheet I
                uploaded.

                > > the old ones produced a file, but it never loaded. The
                application
                > > started, but the character sheet froze.
                >
                > I'm still confused as to the distinction you're making here... what
                is
                > the difference between what you get with my template and these?
                >
                > Barak

                The distinction is that the old files will load into PCSCRY, and then
                freeze. Your template will not load. I created one with your
                template, one with version 500e and one with version 3. All are in
                the List's file directory.

                THANKS!

                Joe
              • Joe Medica
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005
                  Now that you point it out, I see the error. I have created the
                  character with your template, but it still locks up the application
                  on the hendheld. The output looks clean (included in the ZIP file I
                  loaded, its the one without a version number), but I still have
                  issues with it loading. Nothing comes up on the screen. I can enter
                  numbers in the temporary adjustment fields, but nothing is loaded at
                  all and I can't move between tabs.

                  Perhaps this has something to do with the program being run on
                  Windows Mobile 2003, 2nd ed.? I have a very flexible and powerful
                  Axim (hell, it runs 3d games), but this seems to be failing every
                  time.

                  I really like PCGEN and it would be AWESOME if this would work.

                  Let me know if there is anything else you need.

                  Joe

                  --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <barak@v...> wrote:
                  > Ok, I got a few minutes to eyeball things here at work.
                  >
                  > > Both used the standard character XML output file
                  >
                  > This is your problem. The old .xml you are using is producing bad
                  XML
                  > (as well as bad output from PCGen). You're getting things like:
                  >
                  > - <class>
                  > <fullname>CLASS0</fullname>
                  > <shortname>CLASSABB0</shortname>
                  > <level>CLASS0.LEVEL</level>
                  > </class>
                  >
                  > And
                  >
                  > - <str>
                  > <score>STAT0</score>
                  > <mod>STAT0.MOD</mod>
                  > </str>
                  >
                  > And
                  >
                  > - <initiative>
                  > <total>+2</total>
                  > <dex>STAT1.MOD</dex>
                  > <misc>+0</misc>
                  > </initiative>
                  >
                  > Any of these could be causing problems where the program is
                  expecting a
                  > number and getting "STAT1.MOD" when it reads the XML file.
                  >
                  > If you take it and try and load it in your browser it will give you
                  an
                  > error as well, which is another thing that PCGScry could be choking
                  on.

                  > The actual error is:
                  > A CDATA section was not closed. Error processing
                  > resource 'https://coremail2.core.com/nm/index/Mallick%20E%
                  27Nath.xml?
                  > actio...
                  >
                  > I believe both of the new sheets (mine and Ed's) have removed or
                  fixed
                  > the CDATA problem.
                  >
                  > Upshot: Use one of the new .xml templates. :)
                  >
                  > Barak
                • Barak
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005
                    I'll grab your zip and take a look.

                    Now that you point it out, I see the error.  I have created the
                    character with your template, but it still locks up the application
                    on the hendheld.  The output looks clean (included in the ZIP file I
                    loaded, its the one without a version number), but I still have
                    issues with it loading.  Nothing comes up on the screen.  I can enter
                    numbers in the temporary adjustment fields, but nothing is loaded at
                    all and I can't move between tabs.

                    Perhaps this has something to do with the program being run on
                    Windows Mobile 2003, 2nd ed.?  I have a very flexible and powerful
                    Axim (hell, it runs 3d games), but this seems to be failing every
                    time.

                    I really like PCGEN and it would be AWESOME if this would work.

                    Let me know if there is anything else you need.

                    Joe

                    --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <barak@v...> wrote:
                    > Ok, I got a few minutes to eyeball things here at work.
                    >
                    > > Both used the standard character XML output file
                    >
                    > This is your problem.  The old .xml you are using is producing bad
                    XML
                    > (as well as bad output from PCGen).  You're getting things like:
                    >
                    > - <class>
                    >   <fullname>CLASS0</fullname>
                    >   <shortname>CLASSABB0</shortname>
                    >   <level>CLASS0.LEVEL</level>
                    >   </class>
                    >
                    > And
                    >
                    > - <str>
                    >   <score>STAT0</score>
                    >   <mod>STAT0.MOD</mod>
                    >   </str>
                    >
                    > And
                    >
                    > - <initiative>
                    >   <total>+2</total>
                    >   <dex>STAT1.MOD</dex>
                    >   <misc>+0</misc>
                    >   </initiative>
                    >
                    > Any of these could be causing problems where the program is
                    expecting a
                    > number and getting "STAT1.MOD" when it reads the XML file.
                    >
                    > If you take it and try and load it in your browser it will give you
                    an
                    > error as well, which is another thing that PCGScry could be choking
                    on.

                    > The actual error is:
                    > A CDATA section was not closed. Error processing
                    > resource 'https://coremail2.core.com/nm/index/Mallick%20E%
                    27Nath.xml?
                    > actio...
                    >
                    > I believe both of the new sheets (mine and Ed's) have removed or
                    fixed
                    > the CDATA problem.
                    >
                    > Upshot:  Use one of the new .xml templates.  :)
                    >
                    > Barak

                  • Barak
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005

                      Well, I can load your character made with my template on my iPAQ...

                      So, a question (brought on by your question that included your type of handheld):

                      Are you sure you're using the version that is appropriate to your processor?  There is one on the original website for Pocket PCs with ARM processors (what I use), one for MIPS processors and one for SH3 processors.

                      If you have some other processor, it may be that you won't be able to use the program, I really don't know.

                      Barak

                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005

                        The installer on the site, will install the proper version for your platform. … usually.  When your having prolonged problems with freezes and blank screens, my first suggestion is to uninstall and FULLY remove all registry entries.  There is a freeware proggy out their somewhere that will allow you to clear these entries.  Then do an install.

                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 9, 2005
                          Edwin,

                          I have a PXA270 processor according to my system info. Doesn't seem
                          to fit any of those described below. Is it possible that this
                          processor is not supported? If so, I would like to remove the
                          product, so can you tell me more about the registry editor you
                          mention below? I've tried a few of them, and they don't seemt o be
                          compatible. I tried uninstalling the program, but it says the files
                          are read only, and cannot be removed. Any ideas?

                          Joe

                          --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Edwin Holley" <eholley@c...> wrote:
                          > The installer on the site, will install the proper version for your
                          > platform. . usually. When your having prolonged problems with
                          freezes and
                          > blank screens, my first suggestion is to uninstall and FULLY remove
                          all
                          > registry entries. There is a freeware proggy out their somewhere
                          that will
                          > allow you to clear these entries. Then do an install.
                          >

                          > _____

                          Behalf Of
                          > Barak
                          > Sent: Wednesday, September 07, 2005 19:03
                          > To: PCGScry@yahoogroups.com
                          > Subject: RE: [PCGScry] Re: loading difficulty
                          >

                          > Well, I can load your character made with my template on my iPAQ...
                          >
                          > So, a question (brought on by your question that included your type
                          of
                          > handheld):
                          >
                          > Are you sure you're using the version that is appropriate to your
                          processor?
                          > There is one on the original website for Pocket PCs with ARM
                          processors
                          > (what I use), one for MIPS processors and one for SH3 processors.
                          >
                          > If you have some other processor, it may be that you won't be able
                          to use
                          > the program, I really don't know.
                          >
                          > Barak
                          >

                          > _____
                          >

                          > From: PCGScry@yahoogroups.com [mailto:PCGScry@yahoogroups.com] On
                          Behalf Of
                          > Joe Medica
                          >
                          > issues with it loading. Nothing comes up on the screen. I can
                          enter
                          > numbers in the temporary adjustment fields, but nothing is loaded
                          at
                          > all and I can't move between tabs.
                          >
                          > Perhaps this has something to do with the program being run on
                          > Windows Mobile 2003, 2nd ed.? I have a very flexible and powerful
                          > Axim (hell, it runs 3d games), but this seems to be failing every
                          > time.
                          >
                          > I really like PCGEN and it would be AWESOME if this would work.
                          >
                          > Let me know if there is anything else you need.

                          > Game
                          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                          t=ms&k=Game+software&w1=Game+software&w2=Poker

                          +games&w3=Computer+role+playing+game&w4=Role+playing+games&w5=Online+r
                          ole+pl

                          aying+games&w6=Role+playing+games+online&c=6&s=154&.sig=NGMMXc1POtb_FZ
                          -BODl8
                          > oQ> software
                          >
                          > Poker
                          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                          t=ms&k=Poker+games&w1=Game+software&w2=Poker+g

                          ames&w3=Computer+role+playing+game&w4=Role+playing+games&w5=Online+rol
                          e+play

                          ing+games&w6=Role+playing+games+online&c=6&s=154&.sig=4xQkSh0ZLa7O8Mrk
                          POm5dw
                          > > games
                          >
                          > Computer
                          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                          t=ms&k=Computer+role+playing+game&w1=Game+soft

                          ware&w2=Poker+games&w3=Computer+role+playing+game&w4=Role+playing+game
                          s&w5=O

                          nline+role+playing+games&w6=Role+playing+games+online&c=6&s=154&.sig=0
                          Trvv9d
                          > qe-lXINB239Zb1w> role playing game
                          >

                          > Role
                          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                          t=ms&k=Role+playing+games&w1=Game+software&w2=

                          Poker+games&w3=Computer+role+playing+game&w4=Role+playing+games&w5=Onl
                          ine+ro

                          le+playing+games&w6=Role+playing+games+online&c=6&s=154&.sig=JMoq530t6
                          fVDGH8
                          > oDw7iCw> playing games
                          >
                          > Online
                          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                          t=ms&k=Online+role+playing+games&w1=Game+softw

                          are&w2=Poker+games&w3=Computer+role+playing+game&w4=Role+playing+games
                          &w5=On

                          line+role+playing+games&w6=Role+playing+games+online&c=6&s=154&.sig=9X
                          5MDxdo
                          > TrI1iumXJh-NvQ> role playing games
                          >
                          > Role
                          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                          t=ms&k=Role+playing+games+online&w1=Game+softw

                          are&w2=Poker+games&w3=Computer+role+playing+game&w4=Role+playing+games
                          &w5=On

                          line+role+playing+games&w6=Role+playing+games+online&c=6&s=154&.sig=iL
                          FtBBOK

                          <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PCGScry> "

                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 9, 2005
                            You may have to do a little research, as my Axim x5 didn't say either. I
                            haven't heard of any new processor base yet. Anything is possible though.
                            If you use the installer, it will pick the appropriate model, and install
                            it. This installer is located on the group file share.