Re: [PCGScry] Re: loading difficulty

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 1, 2005
      > Yes, I used the open button to load the xml sheet from the - the
      > program seems to respond ie, screen flickers for a sec - and I can
      > navigate through the tabs, but there's no data.  I also tried
      > d/ling and opening the "Sabine" and "Hoshi" characters from the files
      > section of this group - same problem.

      E-mail me your XML file (the one you get after export) and I'll see if
      I can see anything wrong in it.

      barakatvoyagerdotnet

      Barak
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 2, 2005
        Have you looked at the exported character? If this contains blank fields
        and such, it is not a PCGScry problem, it is probably OS related.

        > Yes, I used the open button to load the xml sheet from the - the
        > program seems to respond ie, screen flickers for a sec - and I can
        > navigate through the tabs, but there's no data.  I also tried
        > d/ling and opening the "Sabine" and "Hoshi" characters from the files
        > section of this group - same problem.

        E-mail me your XML file (the one you get after export) and I'll see if
        I can see anything wrong in it.

        barakatvoyagerdotnet

        Barak

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Joe Medica
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 2, 2005

          I have to get the files off the PDA at work on Tuesday and then send them home to this email address since thy killed the POP access at wok.  After that, I’ll send them up to you.  I get the same thin as below – file on the PDA, I open PCScry and access a sheet, then nothing.  Screen flickers and then the application locks up.

          Joe Medica

          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 6, 2005

            Two files I exported to use with PCSCRY…  One is mine (Mallick), the other is one of the ones off the Group list.  Neither one works in PCSCRY.  Both used the standard character XML output file, not the new one Barak loaded.  I couldn't even get that one to produce a file that could be read in, the old ones produced a file, but it never loaded.  The application started, but the character sheet froze.

            Joe Medica

            "Wherever you go, there you are...", Buckaroo Bonzai

          • Chris
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005
              > Two files I exported to use with PCSCRY… One is mine (Mallick), the
              > other is one of the ones off the Group list. Neither one works in
              > PCSCRY. Both used the standard character XML output file, not the
              > new one Barak loaded.

              I'll look at them when I get home tonight.

              > I couldn't even get that one to produce a file that could be read in,

              What do you mean by this? PCGen didn't produce an output file using
              the template I uploaded?

              Are you using PCGen 5.8.0? That's required for the sheet I uploaded.

              > the old ones produced a file, but it never loaded. The application
              > started, but the character sheet froze.

              I'm still confused as to the distinction you're making here... what is
              the difference between what you get with my template and these?

              Barak
            • Chris
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005
                Ok, I got a few minutes to eyeball things here at work.

                > Both used the standard character XML output file

                This is your problem. The old .xml you are using is producing bad XML
                (as well as bad output from PCGen). You're getting things like:

                - <class>
                <fullname>CLASS0</fullname>
                <shortname>CLASSABB0</shortname>
                <level>CLASS0.LEVEL</level>
                </class>

                And

                - <str>
                <score>STAT0</score>
                <mod>STAT0.MOD</mod>
                </str>

                And

                - <initiative>
                <total>+2</total>
                <dex>STAT1.MOD</dex>
                <misc>+0</misc>
                </initiative>

                Any of these could be causing problems where the program is expecting a
                number and getting "STAT1.MOD" when it reads the XML file.

                If you take it and try and load it in your browser it will give you an
                error as well, which is another thing that PCGScry could be choking on.

                The actual error is:
                A CDATA section was not closed. Error processing
                resource 'https://coremail2.core.com/nm/index/Mallick%20E%27Nath.xml?
                actio...

                I believe both of the new sheets (mine and Ed's) have removed or fixed
                the CDATA problem.

                Upshot: Use one of the new .xml templates. :)

                Barak
              • Joe Medica
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005
                  --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <barak@v...> wrote:

                  > > Two files I exported to use with PCSCRY… One is mine (Mallick),
                  the
                  > > other is one of the ones off the Group list. Neither one works
                  in
                  > > PCSCRY. Both used the standard character XML output file, not
                  the
                  > > new one Barak loaded.
                  >
                  > I'll look at them when I get home tonight.
                  >
                  > > I couldn't even get that one to produce a file that could be read
                  in,

                  > What do you mean by this? PCGen didn't produce an output file
                  using
                  > the template I uploaded?

                  I used the template to create an XML output file, but PCSCRY could
                  not read it. File added to the files list. I am using 5.8.0.

                  > Are you using PCGen 5.8.0? That's required for the sheet I
                  uploaded.

                  > > the old ones produced a file, but it never loaded. The
                  application
                  > > started, but the character sheet froze.
                  >
                  > I'm still confused as to the distinction you're making here... what
                  is
                  > the difference between what you get with my template and these?
                  >
                  > Barak

                  The distinction is that the old files will load into PCSCRY, and then
                  freeze. Your template will not load. I created one with your
                  template, one with version 500e and one with version 3. All are in
                  the List's file directory.

                  THANKS!

                  Joe
                • Joe Medica
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005
                    Now that you point it out, I see the error. I have created the
                    character with your template, but it still locks up the application
                    on the hendheld. The output looks clean (included in the ZIP file I
                    loaded, its the one without a version number), but I still have
                    issues with it loading. Nothing comes up on the screen. I can enter
                    numbers in the temporary adjustment fields, but nothing is loaded at
                    all and I can't move between tabs.

                    Perhaps this has something to do with the program being run on
                    Windows Mobile 2003, 2nd ed.? I have a very flexible and powerful
                    Axim (hell, it runs 3d games), but this seems to be failing every
                    time.

                    I really like PCGEN and it would be AWESOME if this would work.

                    Let me know if there is anything else you need.

                    Joe

                    --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <barak@v...> wrote:
                    > Ok, I got a few minutes to eyeball things here at work.
                    >
                    > > Both used the standard character XML output file
                    >
                    > This is your problem. The old .xml you are using is producing bad
                    XML
                    > (as well as bad output from PCGen). You're getting things like:
                    >
                    > - <class>
                    > <fullname>CLASS0</fullname>
                    > <shortname>CLASSABB0</shortname>
                    > <level>CLASS0.LEVEL</level>
                    > </class>
                    >
                    > And
                    >
                    > - <str>
                    > <score>STAT0</score>
                    > <mod>STAT0.MOD</mod>
                    > </str>
                    >
                    > And
                    >
                    > - <initiative>
                    > <total>+2</total>
                    > <dex>STAT1.MOD</dex>
                    > <misc>+0</misc>
                    > </initiative>
                    >
                    > Any of these could be causing problems where the program is
                    expecting a
                    > number and getting "STAT1.MOD" when it reads the XML file.
                    >
                    > If you take it and try and load it in your browser it will give you
                    an
                    > error as well, which is another thing that PCGScry could be choking
                    on.

                    > The actual error is:
                    > A CDATA section was not closed. Error processing
                    > resource 'https://coremail2.core.com/nm/index/Mallick%20E%
                    27Nath.xml?
                    > actio...
                    >
                    > I believe both of the new sheets (mine and Ed's) have removed or
                    fixed
                    > the CDATA problem.
                    >
                    > Upshot: Use one of the new .xml templates. :)
                    >
                    > Barak
                  • Barak
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005
                      I'll grab your zip and take a look.

                      Now that you point it out, I see the error.  I have created the
                      character with your template, but it still locks up the application
                      on the hendheld.  The output looks clean (included in the ZIP file I
                      loaded, its the one without a version number), but I still have
                      issues with it loading.  Nothing comes up on the screen.  I can enter
                      numbers in the temporary adjustment fields, but nothing is loaded at
                      all and I can't move between tabs.

                      Perhaps this has something to do with the program being run on
                      Windows Mobile 2003, 2nd ed.?  I have a very flexible and powerful
                      Axim (hell, it runs 3d games), but this seems to be failing every
                      time.

                      I really like PCGEN and it would be AWESOME if this would work.

                      Let me know if there is anything else you need.

                      Joe

                      --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <barak@v...> wrote:
                      > Ok, I got a few minutes to eyeball things here at work.
                      >
                      > > Both used the standard character XML output file
                      >
                      > This is your problem.  The old .xml you are using is producing bad
                      XML
                      > (as well as bad output from PCGen).  You're getting things like:
                      >
                      > - <class>
                      >   <fullname>CLASS0</fullname>
                      >   <shortname>CLASSABB0</shortname>
                      >   <level>CLASS0.LEVEL</level>
                      >   </class>
                      >
                      > And
                      >
                      > - <str>
                      >   <score>STAT0</score>
                      >   <mod>STAT0.MOD</mod>
                      >   </str>
                      >
                      > And
                      >
                      > - <initiative>
                      >   <total>+2</total>
                      >   <dex>STAT1.MOD</dex>
                      >   <misc>+0</misc>
                      >   </initiative>
                      >
                      > Any of these could be causing problems where the program is
                      expecting a
                      > number and getting "STAT1.MOD" when it reads the XML file.
                      >
                      > If you take it and try and load it in your browser it will give you
                      an
                      > error as well, which is another thing that PCGScry could be choking
                      on.

                      > The actual error is:
                      > A CDATA section was not closed. Error processing
                      > resource 'https://coremail2.core.com/nm/index/Mallick%20E%
                      27Nath.xml?
                      > actio...
                      >
                      > I believe both of the new sheets (mine and Ed's) have removed or
                      fixed
                      > the CDATA problem.
                      >
                      > Upshot:  Use one of the new .xml templates.  :)
                      >
                      > Barak

                    • Barak
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005

                        Well, I can load your character made with my template on my iPAQ...

                        So, a question (brought on by your question that included your type of handheld):

                        Are you sure you're using the version that is appropriate to your processor?  There is one on the original website for Pocket PCs with ARM processors (what I use), one for MIPS processors and one for SH3 processors.

                        If you have some other processor, it may be that you won't be able to use the program, I really don't know.

                        Barak

                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005

                          The installer on the site, will install the proper version for your platform. … usually.  When your having prolonged problems with freezes and blank screens, my first suggestion is to uninstall and FULLY remove all registry entries.  There is a freeware proggy out their somewhere that will allow you to clear these entries.  Then do an install.

                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 9, 2005
                            Edwin,

                            I have a PXA270 processor according to my system info. Doesn't seem
                            to fit any of those described below. Is it possible that this
                            processor is not supported? If so, I would like to remove the
                            product, so can you tell me more about the registry editor you
                            mention below? I've tried a few of them, and they don't seemt o be
                            compatible. I tried uninstalling the program, but it says the files
                            are read only, and cannot be removed. Any ideas?

                            Joe

                            --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Edwin Holley" <eholley@c...> wrote:
                            > The installer on the site, will install the proper version for your
                            > platform. . usually. When your having prolonged problems with
                            freezes and
                            > blank screens, my first suggestion is to uninstall and FULLY remove
                            all
                            > registry entries. There is a freeware proggy out their somewhere
                            that will
                            > allow you to clear these entries. Then do an install.
                            >

                            > _____

                            Behalf Of
                            > Barak
                            > Sent: Wednesday, September 07, 2005 19:03
                            > To: PCGScry@yahoogroups.com
                            > Subject: RE: [PCGScry] Re: loading difficulty
                            >

                            > Well, I can load your character made with my template on my iPAQ...
                            >
                            > So, a question (brought on by your question that included your type
                            of
                            > handheld):
                            >
                            > Are you sure you're using the version that is appropriate to your
                            processor?
                            > There is one on the original website for Pocket PCs with ARM
                            processors
                            > (what I use), one for MIPS processors and one for SH3 processors.
                            >
                            > If you have some other processor, it may be that you won't be able
                            to use
                            > the program, I really don't know.
                            >
                            > Barak
                            >

                            > _____
                            >

                            > From: PCGScry@yahoogroups.com [mailto:PCGScry@yahoogroups.com] On
                            Behalf Of
                            > Joe Medica
                            >
                            > issues with it loading. Nothing comes up on the screen. I can
                            enter
                            > numbers in the temporary adjustment fields, but nothing is loaded
                            at
                            > all and I can't move between tabs.
                            >
                            > Perhaps this has something to do with the program being run on
                            > Windows Mobile 2003, 2nd ed.? I have a very flexible and powerful
                            > Axim (hell, it runs 3d games), but this seems to be failing every
                            > time.
                            >
                            > I really like PCGEN and it would be AWESOME if this would work.
                            >
                            > Let me know if there is anything else you need.

                            > Game
                            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                            t=ms&k=Game+software&w1=Game+software&w2=Poker

                            +games&w3=Computer+role+playing+game&w4=Role+playing+games&w5=Online+r
                            ole+pl

                            aying+games&w6=Role+playing+games+online&c=6&s=154&.sig=NGMMXc1POtb_FZ
                            -BODl8
                            > oQ> software
                            >
                            > Poker
                            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                            t=ms&k=Poker+games&w1=Game+software&w2=Poker+g

                            ames&w3=Computer+role+playing+game&w4=Role+playing+games&w5=Online+rol
                            e+play

                            ing+games&w6=Role+playing+games+online&c=6&s=154&.sig=4xQkSh0ZLa7O8Mrk
                            POm5dw
                            > > games
                            >
                            > Computer
                            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                            t=ms&k=Computer+role+playing+game&w1=Game+soft

                            ware&w2=Poker+games&w3=Computer+role+playing+game&w4=Role+playing+game
                            s&w5=O

                            nline+role+playing+games&w6=Role+playing+games+online&c=6&s=154&.sig=0
                            Trvv9d
                            > qe-lXINB239Zb1w> role playing game
                            >

                            > Role
                            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                            t=ms&k=Role+playing+games&w1=Game+software&w2=

                            Poker+games&w3=Computer+role+playing+game&w4=Role+playing+games&w5=Onl
                            ine+ro

                            le+playing+games&w6=Role+playing+games+online&c=6&s=154&.sig=JMoq530t6
                            fVDGH8
                            > oDw7iCw> playing games
                            >
                            > Online
                            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                            t=ms&k=Online+role+playing+games&w1=Game+softw

                            are&w2=Poker+games&w3=Computer+role+playing+game&w4=Role+playing+games
                            &w5=On

                            line+role+playing+games&w6=Role+playing+games+online&c=6&s=154&.sig=9X
                            5MDxdo
                            > TrI1iumXJh-NvQ> role playing games
                            >
                            > Role
                            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                            t=ms&k=Role+playing+games+online&w1=Game+softw

                            are&w2=Poker+games&w3=Computer+role+playing+game&w4=Role+playing+games
                            &w5=On

                            line+role+playing+games&w6=Role+playing+games+online&c=6&s=154&.sig=iL
                            FtBBOK

                            <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PCGScry> "

                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 9, 2005
                              You may have to do a little research, as my Axim x5 didn't say either. I
                              haven't heard of any new processor base yet. Anything is possible though.
                              If you use the installer, it will pick the appropriate model, and install
                              it. This installer is located on the group file share.