RE: [PCGScry] loading difficulty

  • Barak
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 31, 2005
      Maybe a silly question here, and maybe not...

      Did you hit the open button and select the character after the program started???

      I've had it hang on trying to load the character when something was wrong, but it's never come up blank...

      Barak

      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 1, 2005
        Yes, I used the open button to load the xml sheet from the - the
        program seems to respond ie, screen flickers for a sec - and I can
        navigate through the tabs, but there's no data. I also tried d/ling
        and opening the "Sabine" and "Hoshi" characters from the files section
        of this group - same problem.

        jpargeter

        --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Barak" <barak@v...> wrote:
        > Maybe a silly question here, and maybe not...
        >
        > Did you hit the open button and select the character after the program
        > started???
        >
        > I've had it hang on trying to load the character when something was
        wrong,
        > but it's never come up blank...
        >
        > Barak

        Behalf Of
        > Jason Pargeter
        > Sent: Wednesday, August 31, 2005 7:18 PM
        > To: PCGScry@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: [PCGScry] loading difficulty
        >

        > I have successfully loaded this fine program on my Compaq iPaq 6325.
        > When I export my character using wither Barak's New XML sheet, or the
        > earlier version (e?) nothing comes up in the program - I can see the
        > program, manually edit the fields & such, but no data from the OS is
        > coming through - thoughts?
      • Chris
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 1, 2005
          > Yes, I used the open button to load the xml sheet from the - the
          > program seems to respond ie, screen flickers for a sec - and I can
          > navigate through the tabs, but there's no data.  I also tried
          > d/ling and opening the "Sabine" and "Hoshi" characters from the files
          > section of this group - same problem.

          E-mail me your XML file (the one you get after export) and I'll see if
          I can see anything wrong in it.

          barakatvoyagerdotnet

          Barak
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 2, 2005
            Have you looked at the exported character? If this contains blank fields
            and such, it is not a PCGScry problem, it is probably OS related.

            > Yes, I used the open button to load the xml sheet from the - the
            > program seems to respond ie, screen flickers for a sec - and I can
            > navigate through the tabs, but there's no data.  I also tried
            > d/ling and opening the "Sabine" and "Hoshi" characters from the files
            > section of this group - same problem.

            E-mail me your XML file (the one you get after export) and I'll see if
            I can see anything wrong in it.

            barakatvoyagerdotnet

            Barak

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Joe Medica
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 2, 2005

              I have to get the files off the PDA at work on Tuesday and then send them home to this email address since thy killed the POP access at wok.  After that, I’ll send them up to you.  I get the same thin as below – file on the PDA, I open PCScry and access a sheet, then nothing.  Screen flickers and then the application locks up.

              Joe Medica

              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 6, 2005

                Two files I exported to use with PCSCRY…  One is mine (Mallick), the other is one of the ones off the Group list.  Neither one works in PCSCRY.  Both used the standard character XML output file, not the new one Barak loaded.  I couldn't even get that one to produce a file that could be read in, the old ones produced a file, but it never loaded.  The application started, but the character sheet froze.

                Joe Medica

                "Wherever you go, there you are...", Buckaroo Bonzai

              • Chris
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005
                  > Two files I exported to use with PCSCRY… One is mine (Mallick), the
                  > other is one of the ones off the Group list. Neither one works in
                  > PCSCRY. Both used the standard character XML output file, not the
                  > new one Barak loaded.

                  I'll look at them when I get home tonight.

                  > I couldn't even get that one to produce a file that could be read in,

                  What do you mean by this? PCGen didn't produce an output file using
                  the template I uploaded?

                  Are you using PCGen 5.8.0? That's required for the sheet I uploaded.

                  > the old ones produced a file, but it never loaded. The application
                  > started, but the character sheet froze.

                  I'm still confused as to the distinction you're making here... what is
                  the difference between what you get with my template and these?

                  Barak
                • Chris
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005
                    Ok, I got a few minutes to eyeball things here at work.

                    > Both used the standard character XML output file

                    This is your problem. The old .xml you are using is producing bad XML
                    (as well as bad output from PCGen). You're getting things like:

                    - <class>
                    <fullname>CLASS0</fullname>
                    <shortname>CLASSABB0</shortname>
                    <level>CLASS0.LEVEL</level>
                    </class>

                    And

                    - <str>
                    <score>STAT0</score>
                    <mod>STAT0.MOD</mod>
                    </str>

                    And

                    - <initiative>
                    <total>+2</total>
                    <dex>STAT1.MOD</dex>
                    <misc>+0</misc>
                    </initiative>

                    Any of these could be causing problems where the program is expecting a
                    number and getting "STAT1.MOD" when it reads the XML file.

                    If you take it and try and load it in your browser it will give you an
                    error as well, which is another thing that PCGScry could be choking on.

                    The actual error is:
                    A CDATA section was not closed. Error processing
                    resource 'https://coremail2.core.com/nm/index/Mallick%20E%27Nath.xml?
                    actio...

                    I believe both of the new sheets (mine and Ed's) have removed or fixed
                    the CDATA problem.

                    Upshot: Use one of the new .xml templates. :)

                    Barak
                  • Joe Medica
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005
                      --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <barak@v...> wrote:

                      > > Two files I exported to use with PCSCRY… One is mine (Mallick),
                      the
                      > > other is one of the ones off the Group list. Neither one works
                      in
                      > > PCSCRY. Both used the standard character XML output file, not
                      the
                      > > new one Barak loaded.
                      >
                      > I'll look at them when I get home tonight.
                      >
                      > > I couldn't even get that one to produce a file that could be read
                      in,

                      > What do you mean by this? PCGen didn't produce an output file
                      using
                      > the template I uploaded?

                      I used the template to create an XML output file, but PCSCRY could
                      not read it. File added to the files list. I am using 5.8.0.

                      > Are you using PCGen 5.8.0? That's required for the sheet I
                      uploaded.

                      > > the old ones produced a file, but it never loaded. The
                      application
                      > > started, but the character sheet froze.
                      >
                      > I'm still confused as to the distinction you're making here... what
                      is
                      > the difference between what you get with my template and these?
                      >
                      > Barak

                      The distinction is that the old files will load into PCSCRY, and then
                      freeze. Your template will not load. I created one with your
                      template, one with version 500e and one with version 3. All are in
                      the List's file directory.

                      THANKS!

                      Joe
                    • Joe Medica
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005
                        Now that you point it out, I see the error. I have created the
                        character with your template, but it still locks up the application
                        on the hendheld. The output looks clean (included in the ZIP file I
                        loaded, its the one without a version number), but I still have
                        issues with it loading. Nothing comes up on the screen. I can enter
                        numbers in the temporary adjustment fields, but nothing is loaded at
                        all and I can't move between tabs.

                        Perhaps this has something to do with the program being run on
                        Windows Mobile 2003, 2nd ed.? I have a very flexible and powerful
                        Axim (hell, it runs 3d games), but this seems to be failing every
                        time.

                        I really like PCGEN and it would be AWESOME if this would work.

                        Let me know if there is anything else you need.

                        Joe

                        --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <barak@v...> wrote:
                        > Ok, I got a few minutes to eyeball things here at work.
                        >
                        > > Both used the standard character XML output file
                        >
                        > This is your problem. The old .xml you are using is producing bad
                        XML
                        > (as well as bad output from PCGen). You're getting things like:
                        >
                        > - <class>
                        > <fullname>CLASS0</fullname>
                        > <shortname>CLASSABB0</shortname>
                        > <level>CLASS0.LEVEL</level>
                        > </class>
                        >
                        > And
                        >
                        > - <str>
                        > <score>STAT0</score>
                        > <mod>STAT0.MOD</mod>
                        > </str>
                        >
                        > And
                        >
                        > - <initiative>
                        > <total>+2</total>
                        > <dex>STAT1.MOD</dex>
                        > <misc>+0</misc>
                        > </initiative>
                        >
                        > Any of these could be causing problems where the program is
                        expecting a
                        > number and getting "STAT1.MOD" when it reads the XML file.
                        >
                        > If you take it and try and load it in your browser it will give you
                        an
                        > error as well, which is another thing that PCGScry could be choking
                        on.

                        > The actual error is:
                        > A CDATA section was not closed. Error processing
                        > resource 'https://coremail2.core.com/nm/index/Mallick%20E%
                        27Nath.xml?
                        > actio...
                        >
                        > I believe both of the new sheets (mine and Ed's) have removed or
                        fixed
                        > the CDATA problem.
                        >
                        > Upshot: Use one of the new .xml templates. :)
                        >
                        > Barak
                      • Barak
                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005
                          I'll grab your zip and take a look.

                          Now that you point it out, I see the error.  I have created the
                          character with your template, but it still locks up the application
                          on the hendheld.  The output looks clean (included in the ZIP file I
                          loaded, its the one without a version number), but I still have
                          issues with it loading.  Nothing comes up on the screen.  I can enter
                          numbers in the temporary adjustment fields, but nothing is loaded at
                          all and I can't move between tabs.

                          Perhaps this has something to do with the program being run on
                          Windows Mobile 2003, 2nd ed.?  I have a very flexible and powerful
                          Axim (hell, it runs 3d games), but this seems to be failing every
                          time.

                          I really like PCGEN and it would be AWESOME if this would work.

                          Let me know if there is anything else you need.

                          Joe

                          --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <barak@v...> wrote:
                          > Ok, I got a few minutes to eyeball things here at work.
                          >
                          > > Both used the standard character XML output file
                          >
                          > This is your problem.  The old .xml you are using is producing bad
                          XML
                          > (as well as bad output from PCGen).  You're getting things like:
                          >
                          > - <class>
                          >   <fullname>CLASS0</fullname>
                          >   <shortname>CLASSABB0</shortname>
                          >   <level>CLASS0.LEVEL</level>
                          >   </class>
                          >
                          > And
                          >
                          > - <str>
                          >   <score>STAT0</score>
                          >   <mod>STAT0.MOD</mod>
                          >   </str>
                          >
                          > And
                          >
                          > - <initiative>
                          >   <total>+2</total>
                          >   <dex>STAT1.MOD</dex>
                          >   <misc>+0</misc>
                          >   </initiative>
                          >
                          > Any of these could be causing problems where the program is
                          expecting a
                          > number and getting "STAT1.MOD" when it reads the XML file.
                          >
                          > If you take it and try and load it in your browser it will give you
                          an
                          > error as well, which is another thing that PCGScry could be choking
                          on.

                          > The actual error is:
                          > A CDATA section was not closed. Error processing
                          > resource 'https://coremail2.core.com/nm/index/Mallick%20E%
                          27Nath.xml?
                          > actio...
                          >
                          > I believe both of the new sheets (mine and Ed's) have removed or
                          fixed
                          > the CDATA problem.
                          >
                          > Upshot:  Use one of the new .xml templates.  :)
                          >
                          > Barak

                        • Barak
                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005

                            Well, I can load your character made with my template on my iPAQ...

                            So, a question (brought on by your question that included your type of handheld):

                            Are you sure you're using the version that is appropriate to your processor?  There is one on the original website for Pocket PCs with ARM processors (what I use), one for MIPS processors and one for SH3 processors.

                            If you have some other processor, it may be that you won't be able to use the program, I really don't know.

                            Barak

                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005

                              The installer on the site, will install the proper version for your platform. … usually.  When your having prolonged problems with freezes and blank screens, my first suggestion is to uninstall and FULLY remove all registry entries.  There is a freeware proggy out their somewhere that will allow you to clear these entries.  Then do an install.

                              Message 14 of 16 , Sep 9, 2005
                                Edwin,

                                I have a PXA270 processor according to my system info. Doesn't seem
                                to fit any of those described below. Is it possible that this
                                processor is not supported? If so, I would like to remove the
                                product, so can you tell me more about the registry editor you
                                mention below? I've tried a few of them, and they don't seemt o be
                                compatible. I tried uninstalling the program, but it says the files
                                are read only, and cannot be removed. Any ideas?

                                Joe

                                --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Edwin Holley" <eholley@c...> wrote:
                                > The installer on the site, will install the proper version for your
                                > platform. . usually. When your having prolonged problems with
                                freezes and
                                > blank screens, my first suggestion is to uninstall and FULLY remove
                                all
                                > registry entries. There is a freeware proggy out their somewhere
                                that will
                                > allow you to clear these entries. Then do an install.
                                >

                                > _____

                                t=ms&k=Game+software&w1=Game+software&w2=Poker

                                +games&w3=Computer+role+playing+game&w4=Role+playing+games&w5=Online+r
                                ole+pl

                                aying+games&w6=Role+playing+games+online&c=6&s=154&.sig=NGMMXc1POtb_FZ
                                -BODl8
                                > oQ> software
                                >
                                > Poker
                                > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                                t=ms&k=Poker+games&w1=Game+software&w2=Poker+g

                                ames&w3=Computer+role+playing+game&w4=Role+playing+games&w5=Online+rol
                                e+play

                                ing+games&w6=Role+playing+games+online&c=6&s=154&.sig=4xQkSh0ZLa7O8Mrk
                                POm5dw
                                > > games
                                >
                                > Computer
                                > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                                t=ms&k=Computer+role+playing+game&w1=Game+soft

                                ware&w2=Poker+games&w3=Computer+role+playing+game&w4=Role+playing+game
                                s&w5=O

                                nline+role+playing+games&w6=Role+playing+games+online&c=6&s=154&.sig=0
                                Trvv9d
                                > qe-lXINB239Zb1w> role playing game
                                >

                                > Role
                                > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                                t=ms&k=Role+playing+games&w1=Game+software&w2=

                                Poker+games&w3=Computer+role+playing+game&w4=Role+playing+games&w5=Onl
                                ine+ro

                                le+playing+games&w6=Role+playing+games+online&c=6&s=154&.sig=JMoq530t6
                                fVDGH8
                                > oDw7iCw> playing games
                                >
                                > Online
                                > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                                t=ms&k=Online+role+playing+games&w1=Game+softw

                                are&w2=Poker+games&w3=Computer+role+playing+game&w4=Role+playing+games
                                &w5=On

                                line+role+playing+games&w6=Role+playing+games+online&c=6&s=154&.sig=9X
                                5MDxdo
                                > TrI1iumXJh-NvQ> role playing games
                                >
                                > Role
                                > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                                t=ms&k=Role+playing+games+online&w1=Game+softw

                                are&w2=Poker+games&w3=Computer+role+playing+game&w4=Role+playing+games
                                &w5=On

                                line+role+playing+games&w6=Role+playing+games+online&c=6&s=154&.sig=iL
                                FtBBOK

                                <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PCGScry> "

                                Message 15 of 16 , Sep 9, 2005
                                  You may have to do a little research, as my Axim x5 didn't say either. I
                                  haven't heard of any new processor base yet. Anything is possible though.
                                  If you use the installer, it will pick the appropriate model, and install
                                  it. This installer is located on the group file share.