RE: [PCGScry] 1.3.1d/1.3.2 Final version.

  • Greg Bassett
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2004
      I just got back after a 2 week abscence and I am happy to see how much you
      have done!

      Thanks for everything you did. I see one here referencing a greg giving a
      hand with the template, but I must say, that I am willing, but I am not sure
      I am capable, hehe. You say here that you have streamlined the template, do
      you think you have that sucker cleaned up nice?

      Due to an additional campaign I am in that involves the Weird War II game,
      most of my efforts recently have been toward modifying PCGEN to create the
      character and then altering the template so that I can export it to pcgscry
      (I am now addicted to electronic character sheets, hehe).

      Enjoy your break from coding (this program anyways) and thanks for all your
      work,

      Greg Bassett

> [...]
      > - Added Bardic Music (Bards) - Allows the bard to track their
      >music usage.
      > - Added Wholeness of Body section (Monks) - Allows the Monk
      >to heal themselves at 7th level.
      >

      >Unable to do:
      >- [GENERAL]Enable logic that will only allow for numeric data to be
      >typed into certain fields
      > Explanation: It would seem as if the Keypress Event doesn't work
      >like it is designed to.
      > Setting the KeyAscii Value to 0 on a Alphabetic
      >character still causes it to be
      > displayed even though the Keypreview attribute of
      >the Form is set to False.
      > It appears to be an embedded Visual Basic problem
      >that I cannot resolve.
      >- [GENERAL]LARGE CHARACTER FILES (2 part problem) [Still researching
      >during the next Beta release]
      > - [GENERAL]Troubleshoot and Fix the problem where large
      >character xml files are generating errors during load time (due to
      >truncation of the file)
      > Explanation: I've tried a couple of things in the code to resolve
      >this problem, however the files
      > that I've received are just too big to handle.
      >After dealing with this problem in
      > eVB for a while with no success the only conclusion
      >that I can make is that the
      > pcgscry xml templates have to be streamlined, so
      >that it doesn't generate quite as
      > many empty lines and needless gaps in the data.
      >

      >Still to do:
      >- [GENERAL]Fix the tabbing order of all of the fields in all frames
      >so that it proceeds in a logical manor.
      >- [GENERAL]LARGE CHARACTER FILES (2 part problem) [Still researching
      >during the next Beta release]
      > - [XMLTemplate]Streamline the PCGEN500b.txt template so that
      >it will use up less space.
      >- [MAIN]Get the Current HP and SD to adjust when Con increases take
      >place. So that the Current is never greater than the Maximum.
      >- [MAIN]Allow for more than one Special Class ability.
      >- [MAIN]Add logic to allow for Special Class abilities
      > Add Turning section (Clerics/Paladins)
      > Add Rage section (Barbarians)
      > Add Wild shape section (Druid)
      >
      >- [OPTIONAL]Increase Weight allowances when STR is increased.
      >- [OPTIONAL]Add Domains section (Spellcasters)
      >- [OPTIONAL]Add Prohibited section (Spellcasters)
      >- [OPTIONAL]Add Racial Abilities section
      >- [OPTIONAL]Support spell DC calculation based on feats (Spell Focus,
      >etc.)
      >
      >I've added quite a bit of functionality to PCGScry in the past 2
      >months and I'm sure that you are enjoying the added features just as
      >much as I am. I'll be checking in, and maybe in the next couple of
      >months I'll pick it back up again to work on (or help whoever is
      >coding it at the time).
      >
      >I'll be posting the updated code and the new executable today at some
      >point.
      >
      >Take care everyone, thank you for all of the support and patience
      >that you gave me while I worked on the new versions! : )

      Dream of owning a home? Find out how in the First-time Home Buying Guide.
      http://special.msn.com/home/firsthome.armx
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2004
        > I just got back after a 2 week abscence and I am happy to see how
        much you
        > have done!
        Thanks Greg. There is still quite a bit of work to do on it, but
        overall, I'm happy with the results of the changes. I plan on using
        them quite a bit in the campaigns that I'm in.

        > Thanks for everything you did. I see one here referencing a greg
        giving a
        > hand with the template, but I must say, that I am willing, but I am
        not sure
        > I am capable, hehe. You say here that you have streamlined the
        template, do
        > you think you have that sucker cleaned up nice?

        No problem. I did it for all of us (even myself ; ) ). I was just
        happy to be able to throw in as many changes as I could before I
        handed the source code back over to the group. I'm sure that if you
        want you'll be able to fix the template. There is also the source
        code that is posted if you wanted to work on that as well. It's
        pretty much up to you. Just let the group know that you've taken
        possession of the code, so that way there aren't several flavours of
        the same PCGScry version.

        As for the template, I've streamlined it a little bit, but there
        still needs to be some improvements to the way that it generates the
        Weapons and Armors in XML. Ross seems to have hard coded the
        FOR..NEXT loops to do 100 iterations, when I'm not sure that they
        have to. I've corrected the feats and other FOR..NEXT loops, but
        there are still those 2 to correct (since I couldn't find the
        corresponding object in PCGEN that would give the .COUNT of the
        WEAPONS and ARMORS.

        The major problem though seems to be focussed around the Spells area
        of the XML file. It generates quite a few blank lines that cause for
        HUGE gaps at the end of the file. This problem is I believe mostly
        to blame for the LARGE xml files that people aren't able to load into
        PCGScry. This is a fair problem, but at least if this gets fixed
        then the program will be able to be used by those 9th+ level
        characters.

        > Due to an additional campaign I am in that involves the Weird War
        II game,
        > most of my efforts recently have been toward modifying PCGEN to
        create the
        > character and then altering the template so that I can export it to
        pcgscry
        > (I am now addicted to electronic character sheets, hehe).

        I know the feeling. At some point, I'm thinking about creating one
        of my own for 2nd edition D&D. I tried to keep the spirit of what
        Ross intended into this application, since he had a goal in mind when
        he created it.

        > Enjoy your break from coding (this program anyways) and thanks for
        all your work,

        Thanks Greg! I'm sure that I'll return to PCGScry after I've
        completed other coding jobs that I have on my plate.

        Good luck, and if you need any help just post. Chances are that
        either Tom, Ross, or myself will be looking in from time to time to
        give some advice (if needed). There are a lot of good people in this
        group.

        Best wishes!

        Murray H. Smith