1.3.1d/1.3.2 Final version.

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 28, 2004
      I've done quite a bit of coding today, and I think that this will be
      my final release.

      Ross, if you could make a package for this version and post it on
      your website it would be greatly appreciated.

      I think that I need a little bit of a code break from PCGScry. As of
      today, I've been in possession of the code for 2 months and I think
      that it is time to pass the torch to new blood. There seems to be
      quite a bit of interest in coding it so I'm sure that it is in good
      hands.

      Here's what I was able to incorporate into this version.
      1.3.1d/1.3.2 Final version

      FORMAT:
      - [PAGE]Problem description [Estimated release time]

      Working on:
      - Coding vacation

      Fixed:
      - [GENERAL]Added a DebuggingMode Constant that can be set prior to
      compile to allow for extra debugging functionality
      - [GENERAL]Fixed a possible problem where if the user changes the
      name of the character without loading, the save functionality will
      save the notes and states for the unloaded character.
      - [GENERAL]Streamlined the code, removing all old code that is no
      longer useful.
      - [GENERAL]Added functionality to store the DM Notes into the saving
      routine.
      - [GENERAL]Created logic within the application to move the spells
      xml sheets, character xml and bmp and the state and note files
      automatically at startup (and create the spells, character and state
      directories automatically).
      - [MAIN]Made the Initiative able to auto adjust when the DEX is
      increased/decrease.
      - [MAIN]Made the HP adjust when Con is increased/decreased.
      - [MAIN]Add logic to save the state of the Special Class abilities
      - [MAIN]Improved the functionality of the reset button so that it
      will remove Temp bonuses.
      - [MAIN]Finish Coding the Sleep 8 hour button (reset the special
      class abilities used during the day).
      - [MAIN]Finish Coding the Reset button (reset the special class
      abilities used during the day).
      - [MAIN]Added logic to allow for Special Class abilities [only 1
      ability will be displayed]
      All of the character classes that I've handled use logic
      internal to PCGScry and not the xml sheet.
      - Added Bardic Music (Bards) - Allows the bard to track their
      music usage.
      - Added Wholeness of Body section (Monks) - Allows the Monk
      to heal themselves at 7th level.

      Unable to do:
      - [GENERAL]Enable logic that will only allow for numeric data to be
      typed into certain fields
      Explanation: It would seem as if the Keypress Event doesn't work
      like it is designed to.
      Setting the KeyAscii Value to 0 on a Alphabetic
      character still causes it to be
      displayed even though the Keypreview attribute of
      the Form is set to False.
      It appears to be an embedded Visual Basic problem
      that I cannot resolve.
      - [GENERAL]LARGE CHARACTER FILES (2 part problem) [Still researching
      during the next Beta release]
      - [GENERAL]Troubleshoot and Fix the problem where large
      character xml files are generating errors during load time (due to
      truncation of the file)
      Explanation: I've tried a couple of things in the code to resolve
      this problem, however the files
      that I've received are just too big to handle.
      After dealing with this problem in
      eVB for a while with no success the only conclusion
      that I can make is that the
      pcgscry xml templates have to be streamlined, so
      that it doesn't generate quite as
      many empty lines and needless gaps in the data.

      Still to do:
      - [GENERAL]Fix the tabbing order of all of the fields in all frames
      so that it proceeds in a logical manor.
      - [GENERAL]LARGE CHARACTER FILES (2 part problem) [Still researching
      during the next Beta release]
      - [XMLTemplate]Streamline the PCGEN500b.txt template so that
      it will use up less space.
      - [MAIN]Get the Current HP and SD to adjust when Con increases take
      place. So that the Current is never greater than the Maximum.
      - [MAIN]Allow for more than one Special Class ability.
      - [MAIN]Add logic to allow for Special Class abilities
      Add Turning section (Clerics/Paladins)
      Add Rage section (Barbarians)
      Add Wild shape section (Druid)

      - [OPTIONAL]Increase Weight allowances when STR is increased.
      - [OPTIONAL]Add Domains section (Spellcasters)
      - [OPTIONAL]Add Prohibited section (Spellcasters)
      - [OPTIONAL]Add Racial Abilities section
      - [OPTIONAL]Support spell DC calculation based on feats (Spell Focus,
      etc.)

      I've added quite a bit of functionality to PCGScry in the past 2
      months and I'm sure that you are enjoying the added features just as
      much as I am. I'll be checking in, and maybe in the next couple of
      months I'll pick it back up again to work on (or help whoever is
      coding it at the time).

      I'll be posting the updated code and the new executable today at some
      point.

      Take care everyone, thank you for all of the support and patience
      that you gave me while I worked on the new versions! : )

      Murray H. Smith
    • Greg Bassett
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1 7:01 AM
        I just got back after a 2 week abscence and I am happy to see how much you
        have done!

        Thanks for everything you did. I see one here referencing a greg giving a
        hand with the template, but I must say, that I am willing, but I am not sure
        I am capable, hehe. You say here that you have streamlined the template, do
        you think you have that sucker cleaned up nice?

        Due to an additional campaign I am in that involves the Weird War II game,
        most of my efforts recently have been toward modifying PCGEN to create the
        character and then altering the template so that I can export it to pcgscry
        (I am now addicted to electronic character sheets, hehe).

        Enjoy your break from coding (this program anyways) and thanks for all your
        work,

        Greg Bassett

> [...]
        > Add Wild shape section (Druid)
        >
        >- [OPTIONAL]Increase Weight allowances when STR is increased.
        >- [OPTIONAL]Add Domains section (Spellcasters)
        >- [OPTIONAL]Add Prohibited section (Spellcasters)
        >- [OPTIONAL]Add Racial Abilities section
        >- [OPTIONAL]Support spell DC calculation based on feats (Spell Focus,
        >etc.)
        >
        >I've added quite a bit of functionality to PCGScry in the past 2
        >months and I'm sure that you are enjoying the added features just as
        >much as I am. I'll be checking in, and maybe in the next couple of
        >months I'll pick it back up again to work on (or help whoever is
        >coding it at the time).
        >
        >I'll be posting the updated code and the new executable today at some
        >point.
        >
        >Take care everyone, thank you for all of the support and patience
        >that you gave me while I worked on the new versions! : )

        Dream of owning a home? Find out how in the First-time Home Buying Guide.
        http://special.msn.com/home/firsthome.armx
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 1 7:32 PM
          > I just got back after a 2 week abscence and I am happy to see how
          much you
          > have done!
          Thanks Greg. There is still quite a bit of work to do on it, but
          overall, I'm happy with the results of the changes. I plan on using
          them quite a bit in the campaigns that I'm in.

          > Thanks for everything you did. I see one here referencing a greg
          giving a
          > hand with the template, but I must say, that I am willing, but I am
          not sure
          > I am capable, hehe. You say here that you have streamlined the
          template, do
          > you think you have that sucker cleaned up nice?

          No problem. I did it for all of us (even myself ; ) ). I was just
          happy to be able to throw in as many changes as I could before I
          handed the source code back over to the group. I'm sure that if you
          want you'll be able to fix the template. There is also the source
          code that is posted if you wanted to work on that as well. It's
          pretty much up to you. Just let the group know that you've taken
          possession of the code, so that way there aren't several flavours of
          the same PCGScry version.

          As for the template, I've streamlined it a little bit, but there
          still needs to be some improvements to the way that it generates the
          Weapons and Armors in XML. Ross seems to have hard coded the
          FOR..NEXT loops to do 100 iterations, when I'm not sure that they
          have to. I've corrected the feats and other FOR..NEXT loops, but
          there are still those 2 to correct (since I couldn't find the
          corresponding object in PCGEN that would give the .COUNT of the
          WEAPONS and ARMORS.

          The major problem though seems to be focussed around the Spells area
          of the XML file. It generates quite a few blank lines that cause for
          HUGE gaps at the end of the file. This problem is I believe mostly
          to blame for the LARGE xml files that people aren't able to load into
          PCGScry. This is a fair problem, but at least if this gets fixed
          then the program will be able to be used by those 9th+ level
          characters.

          > Due to an additional campaign I am in that involves the Weird War
          II game,
          > most of my efforts recently have been toward modifying PCGEN to
          create the
          > character and then altering the template so that I can export it to
          pcgscry
          > (I am now addicted to electronic character sheets, hehe).

          I know the feeling. At some point, I'm thinking about creating one
          of my own for 2nd edition D&D. I tried to keep the spirit of what
          Ross intended into this application, since he had a goal in mind when
          he created it.

          > Enjoy your break from coding (this program anyways) and thanks for
          all your work,

          Thanks Greg! I'm sure that I'll return to PCGScry after I've
          completed other coding jobs that I have on my plate.

          Good luck, and if you need any help just post. Chances are that
          either Tom, Ross, or myself will be looking in from time to time to
          give some advice (if needed). There are a lot of good people in this
          group.

          Best wishes!

          Murray H. Smith