PCGScry Beta version 1.3.1c update 2

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 21, 2004
      Well guys, I have some good news and some bad news.

      THE BAD NEWS:
      =============
      I'll start off with the bad news. Things have been really hectic this
      week and I haven't been able to get much coding time in. Normally I
      would be able to do some coding at work (during breaks and lunches)
      and at night, however I just started a new job this week and there
      are tons of things to do. I haven't even had the chance to visit
      this site until now. Today is pretty much the first day that I've
      been able to look at the code since my last update.

      Since many of you don't know me, I'll just say that I don't like
      releasing any new versions of programs that I haven't been able to
      properly test and ensure that they are in a working state before I
      release them. I know how important this character sheet program is
      to many of you, since it stores everything that you currently have on
      your character so that on your next gaming. Heck, I use it myself on
      a regular basis, and that is why I want to ensure that it is useable.

      I still haven't found the solution to the large character sheets
      although, I'm still testing possible solutions to the problems with
      it.

      THE GOOD NEWS:
      ==============
      I have managed to fix a considerable amount of problems and I'm happy
      with the results of it.... So here's 1.3.1c! Yay!

      PLEASE NOTE THAT THE SAVING FUNCTIONALITY NOW WORKS! Woohoo!

      FORMAT:
      - [PAGE]Problem description [Estimated release time]

      Fixed
      - [MAIN]Fix the AC display MSGBOX to add the increases to AC.
      - [MAIN]Finished Coding a part of the Sleep 8 hour button (reset the
      spells used during the day).
      - [MAIN]Finished Coding a part of the Reset button (reset the spells
      used during the day).
      - [BIO]Fixed the addition of the Experience textbox to allow for
      decimals.
      - [MONEY]Modified the money and experience textboxes to add
      decimals. It is currently only performing integer calculations
      - [GENERAL]Added a Save button to the menu list so that the user can
      save at will
      - [GENERAL]Modified the Save functionality so that it'll display the
      status of the Save using the Load screen.
      - [GENERAL]Fixed the Save State function.
      - [GENERAL]Added the ability to Save the state of the character at
      any time. It is now available from the File Menu.
      - [GENERAL]Added logic to the Save State to allow for saves of the
      Current Experience label.
      - [GENERAL]Added logic to the Save State to allow for saves of the
      Money label.
      - [GENERAL]Added logic to the Load State to allow for saves of the
      Current Experience label.
      - [GENERAL]Added logic to the Load State to allow for saves of the
      Money label.
      - [GENERAL]Fixed the Notes saving routine.
      - [GENERAL]Added the ability to disable clickable and text entry
      areas when data isn't loaded and reenable them when a character is
      loaded.

      Still to do:
      - [GENERAL]Get logic within the application to move the spells xml
      sheets and character xml sheets automatically at startup (and create
      the spells and character directories automatically). [Next Beta
      release]
      - [GENERAL]Streamline the code, removing all old code that is no
      longer useful. [Next Beta release]
      - [GENERAL]LARGE CHARACTER FILES (2 part problem) [Still researching
      during the next Beta release]
      - [GENERAL]Troubleshoot and Fix the problem where large
      character xml files are generating errors during load time (due to
      truncation of the file)
      - [XMLTemplate]Streamline the PCGEN500b.txt template so that
      it will use up less space.
      - [GENERAL]Fix a possible problem where if the user changes the name
      of the character without loading, the save functionality will save
      the notes and states for the unloaded character. - [GENERAL]Get logic
      within the application to move the spells xml sheets and character
      xml sheets automatically at startup (and create the spells and
      character directories automatically). [Next Beta release]
      - [GENERAL]Enable logic that will only allow for numeric data to be
      typed into certain fields [Next Beta release]
      - [GENERAL]Add functionality to store the DM Notes into the saving
      routine.
      - [GENERAL]Get logic within the application to move the spells xml
      sheets and character xml sheets automatically at startup (and create
      the spells and character directories automatically).
      - [MAIN]Finish Coding the Sleep 8 hour button (reset the abilities
      used during the day).
      - [MAIN]Finish Coding the Reset button (reset the abilities used
      during the day).
      - [MAIN]Improved the functionality of the reset button so that it
      will remove Temp bonuses.
      - [MAIN]Add logic to allow for Special Class abilities
      Add Bardic Music (Bards)
      Add Turning section (Clerics/Paladins)
      Add Rage section (Barbarians)
      Add Wholeness of Body section (Monks)
      Add Wild shape section (Druid)
      - [MAIN]Get the HP to adjust when Con is increased.
      - [MAIN]Get the Initiative to auto adjust when the DEX is increased.
      - [OPTIONAL]Increase Weight allowances when STR is increased.
      - [OPTIONAL]Add Domains section (Spellcasters)
      - [OPTIONAL]Add Prohibited section (Spellcasters)
      - [OPTIONAL]Add Racial Abilities section
      - [OPTIONAL]Support spell DC calculation based on feats (Spell Focus,
      etc.)

      There are still quite a few things to fix, and I've already started
      receiving offers to continue the work which is fantastic. You guys
      are awesome and extremely patient. I've been itching for the ability
      to be able to store the state of my character from the last session,
      and now it's here. I'm sure that probably by 1.3.1d or 1.3.1e, I will
      relinquish the code back to the group and promote the version number
      to 1.3.2 final version, and I'll ask Ross to post the new version on
      his website.

      I'm relatively happy with the way it's looking, however don't be shy
      to post any changes that you want to see in new versions of PCGScry.
      I've thrown the changes that I wanted to see in these versions, but
      there might be others that you guys might want.

      If any one else wants to help out in this endeavour, just let the
      group know.

      Enjoy everyone!

      Signing out for this week...

      Murray H. Smith