{Spam?} [PCGScry] Re: Version 1.3.2 (coming soon)

  • jml@cyberkeep.com
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 9, 2004
      --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Simpson" <tsimpson@t...> wrote:
      > Murray,
      >
      > Well I don't think it is the pocketpc app or the export sheet
      actually. What
      > made me think about redoing it was that the pcgen character file
      was also a
      > lot bigger than the ones that worked with the pocketpc. I had
      created that
      > character originally in a copy of version 4, and have just copied it
      from
      > version to version as PCGEN was updated. I think that could be partly to
      > blame for the file size, since once I recreated it in version 5.5.7
      it was
      > small like the other ones I had created in 5.5.7. I have tried
      several test
      > characters in the meantime and I can't make one too big now, So I think
      > there was some garbage in the original PCGEN file that wasn't getting
      > removed. What would be nice is a way to clean them up, esp between
      version
      > updates, since they remove and add things it seems almost everytime they
      > release a new version of PCGEN. Considering this is the first time I
      have
      > ever gotten the app to work right on PocketPC, I don't think that
      having to
      > redo the character sheet was that big of a deal to me.

      All of my characters were created as new characters, and they still
      end up as a 90 KB file and do not open, of course they are 10 level
      and 12th level with a lot of equipment.
    • Tom Simpson
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 9, 2004
        The one I had issues with is a 7th level Ranger 1/2 elf, with custom
        weapons, etc. I also had a resource open in Pcgen (Cityscape I think) that
        was getting exported, even though it wasn't needed/being used for the
        character. I know that Pcgen has a LOT of memory allocation issues, so I now
        load what little that I can when I create a character. I had to get them
        down under 25k or so to get them to load. The ones that were problems were
        about 35k or so. So the one you have is 3 times the size mine was
        originally. I also noticed a big difference in the PCGEN file on the pc
        between one that works and one that didn't work on the PPC.

        Thanks,
        Tom Simpson
        tsimpson@...

        "The significant problems we are facing today, cannot be solved by the
        same level of thinking that created them." -- Albert Einstein

        > Well I don't think it is the pocketpc app or the export sheet
        actually. What
        > made me think about redoing it was that the  pcgen character file
        was also a
        > lot bigger than the ones that worked with the pocketpc. I had
        created that
        > character originally in a copy of version 4, and have just copied it
        from
        > version to version as PCGEN was updated. I think that could be partly
        > to blame for the file size, since once I recreated it in version 5.5.7
        it was
        > small like the other ones I had created in 5.5.7. I have tried
        several test
        > characters in the meantime and I can't make one too big now, So I
        > think there was some garbage in the original PCGEN file that wasn't
        > getting removed. What would be nice is a way to clean them up, esp
        > between
        version
        > updates, since they remove and add things it seems almost everytime
        > they release a new version of PCGEN. Considering this is the first
        > time I
        have
        > ever gotten the app to work right on PocketPC, I don't think that
        having to
        > redo the character sheet was that big of a deal to me.
        All of my characters were created as new characters, and they still end up
        as a 90 KB file and do not open, of course they are 10 level and 12th level
        with a lot of equipment. Yahoo! Groups Links To visit your group on the web,
        go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PCGScry/

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ Yahoo! Terms of Service .

        believed to be clean.

        believed to be clean.
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 9, 2004
          There might be an upper limit to the size of the file that it can
          load but I might be able to work around it, however I'd like to be
          able to test it with an existing 'problem' character sheet. It'll
          save me the time of trying to reproduce the results that you guys are
          already getting.

          It'll also save me time so that I can focus on the list of
          enhancements that need to be performed for the next version.

          Let me know...

          Murray.

          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 9, 2004
            Is the new one more memory intensive Tom then the old one?

            Just curious...

            Murray.

          • Tom Simpson
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 9, 2004
              The newer version of PCGen seem to have more memory errors, than the earlier
              versions, that I have seen. I get a lot of out of memory errors. I think it
              was 5.5.5 or 5.5.4 that would run about 5 minutes and wouldn't work due to
              the errors. I just try to keep from staying in it longer than I have to.

              Thanks,
              Tom Simpson
              tsimpson@...

              "The significant problems we are facing today, cannot be solved by the
              same level of thinking that created them." -- Albert Einstein

              Is the new one more memory intensive Tom then the old one?
              Just curious...
              Murray.
              --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Simpson" <tsimpson@t...> wrote:
              > The one I had issues with is a 7th level Ranger 1/2 elf, with custom
              > weapons, etc. I also had a resource open in Pcgen (Cityscape I
              think) that
              > was getting exported, even though it wasn't needed/being used for
              the
              > character. I know that Pcgen has a LOT of memory allocation issues,
              so I now
              > load what little that I can when I create a character. I had to get
              them
              > down under 25k or so to get them to load. The ones that were
              problems were
              > about 35k or so. So the one you have is 3 times the size mine was
              > originally.  I also noticed a big difference in the PCGEN file on
              the pc
              > between one that works and one that didn't work on the PPC.
              >

              > Thanks,
              > Tom Simpson
              > tsimpson@t...
              >
              > "The significant problems we are facing today, cannot be solved by
              the
              > same level of thinking that created them." -- Albert Einstein

              Yahoo! Terms of Service .

              > --
              > believed to be clean.
              >

              > --
              > believed to be clean.
              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
              http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12csr0tvn/M=267637.4521717.5694185.1261774/D=egroupw
              eb/S=1705057147:HM/EXP=1076469154/A=1945637/R=0/*http://www.netflix.com/Defa
              ult?mqso=60178397&partid=4521717
              http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/ne/netflix/yhoo0104_b_300250a.gif
              http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=267637.4521717.5694185.1261774/D=egroupweb/
              S=:HM/A=1945637/rand=453847648

            • peliason@mindspring.com
              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 9, 2004
                Will these new versions of PCGScry still be compatible with my old HP Jornada 540 series with the SH3 processor?
                I was able to run older versions in the past. (prior to the dark days of OGL)

                ~Patrick~