Re: [PCGScry] It's been a long time...

  • Brass Tilde
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 4, 2004
      > I would like to know if what everyone thinks of these changes and
      > enhancements... You might even have others and I'd like to hear about
      > them.

      I've been subscribed to this list for some time, but have only recently
      gotten a PocketPC device. Is there an installation program, or do I just
      copy stuff? Is this a .NET application, or embedded VB? If the latter, how
      big is the runtime, and can I run it off of an expansion card?
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 4, 2004
        These are all really good questions. The code itself is an embedded
        VB application that Ross designed, which is really cool since the
        environment is downloadable from Microsoft for free. It does however
        have it's quirks with the PPC O/S that I'm still working through.

        The initial install is a cab file that can be downloaded from:
        <a
        href="http://www.metacraft.com/PCGScry/#download">http://www.metacraft
        .com/PCGScry/#download</a>
        All you need to do is copy the cab file to a directory on the Pocket
        PC, and double click on it (from the Pocket PC). That's the initial
        install. I haven't created another cab file for it yet, since I'm
        still trying to enhance certain sections of the code and fix some
        problems that I've encountered on my PPC. Once I've corrected these
        and any others that I can fit in, I'll post the code back up to the
        site, since others may want to have a crack at coding it with the
        updated code.

        You will need the runtime which is about 2.853 Kb for the ARM
        runtimes which can be found at:
        <a
        href="http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/resources/downloads/devel
        oper/evb.mspx">http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/resources/downlo
        ads/developer/evb.mspx</a>

        As for whether the app can be run off of an expansion card... I have
        to admit that I haven't tried it although someone might be able to
        give more input on this.

        I'm still fairly new at the Pocket PC thing myself since I've only
        had mine since the end of Dec, and even then it's been at HP more
        often then not. *SIGH* I've learned never to install their firmware
        upgrades or perform a hard reset. One of these doesn't work properly
        on my model, and after 2 tries without my PPC I don't want to go for
        a third.

        I hope that this helps...

        Murray H. Smith

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 4, 2004
          No problem Greg. I intend on using it as much as you guys do. I was
          a previous user of PCGenView on the Palm for over a year, so I'm now
          familiar with both sides of the these types of software. I think
          that PCGScry has quite a bit of potential, and I have to admit that I
          code for a living and I was impressed with Ross's coding style. He
          did a really good job, so I'm trying to keep this true to his coding
          standards, and look and feel of the application.

          I still keep a paper copy for the time being of my sheets, but mostly
          just for 2 weapon fighting, missile weapon upkeep and the like.

          I just hope that you enjoy 1.3.1b when it comes out this weekend. I
          haven't spent much time on it all in all, but it should still have
          several changes to it.

          Thanks Greg and I'll talk to you later.

          Murray H. Smith

          --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Bassett" <gregorybassett@h...>

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 4, 2004
            Sorry about the 2 links, here they are again:
            http://www.metacraft.com/PCGScry/#download

            http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/resources/downloads/developer/e
            vb.mspx

            Murray.

            --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "spacy12003" <spacy12003@y...> wrote:
            > These are all really good questions. The code itself is an
            embedded
            > VB application that Ross designed, which is really cool since the
            > environment is downloadable from Microsoft for free. It does
            however
            > have it's quirks with the PPC O/S that I'm still working through.
            >
            > The initial install is a cab file that can be downloaded from:
            > <a

            href="http://www.metacraft.com/PCGScry/#download">http://www.metacraft
            > .com/PCGScry/#download</a>
            > All you need to do is copy the cab file to a directory on the
            Pocket
            > PC, and double click on it (from the Pocket PC). That's the
            initial
            > install. I haven't created another cab file for it yet, since I'm
            > still trying to enhance certain sections of the code and fix some
            > problems that I've encountered on my PPC. Once I've corrected
            these
            > and any others that I can fit in, I'll post the code back up to the
            > site, since others may want to have a crack at coding it with the
            > updated code.
            >
            > You will need the runtime which is about 2.853 Kb for the ARM
            > runtimes which can be found at:
            > <a

            href="http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/resources/downloads/devel

            oper/evb.mspx">http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/resources/downlo
            > ads/developer/evb.mspx</a>
            >
            > As for whether the app can be run off of an expansion card... I
            have
            > to admit that I haven't tried it although someone might be able to
            > give more input on this.
            >
            > I'm still fairly new at the Pocket PC thing myself since I've only
            > had mine since the end of Dec, and even then it's been at HP more
            > often then not. *SIGH* I've learned never to install their
            firmware
            > upgrades or perform a hard reset. One of these doesn't work
            properly
            > on my model, and after 2 tries without my PPC I don't want to go
            for
            > a third.
            >
            > I hope that this helps...
            >
            > Murray H. Smith
            >
            > --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Brass Tilde" <brasstilde@i...>
            wrote:
            > > > I would like to know if what everyone thinks of these changes
            and
            > > > enhancements... You might even have others and I'd like to hear
            > about
            > > > them.
            > >
            > > I've been subscribed to this list for some time, but have only
            > recently
            > > gotten a PocketPC device. Is there an installation program, or
            do
            > I just
            > > copy stuff? Is this a .NET application, or embedded VB? If the
            > latter, how
            > > big is the runtime, and can I run it off of an expansion card?
          • Greg Bassett
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 4, 2004
              I beleive that if you load the main file from metacraft and then run it on a
              PPC 2003 device, it will automatically try and connect and get the embedded
              VB files you will need.

              Greg

> [...]
              > > upgrades or perform a hard reset. One of these doesn't work
              >properly
              > > on my model, and after 2 tries without my PPC I don't want to go
              >for
              > > a third.
              > >
              > > I hope that this helps...
              > >
              > > Murray H. Smith
              > >
              > > --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Brass Tilde" <brasstilde@i...>
              >and
              > > about
              > > >
              > > > I've been subscribed to this list for some time, but have only
              > > recently
              > > > gotten a PocketPC device. Is there an installation program, or
              >do
              > > I just
              > > > copy stuff? Is this a .NET application, or embedded VB? If the
              > > latter, how
              > > > big is the runtime, and can I run it off of an expansion card?

              Find high-speed �net deals � comparison-shop your local providers here.
              https://broadband.msn.com