RE: [PCGScry] It's been a long time...

  • Greg Bassett
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 4, 2004
      I look forward to all these changes. Thanks for your time and effort.

      I am so glad that I can go "paperless" now at sessions.

    • Brass Tilde
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 4, 2004
        > I would like to know if what everyone thinks of these changes and
        > enhancements... You might even have others and I'd like to hear about
        > them.

        I've been subscribed to this list for some time, but have only recently
        gotten a PocketPC device. Is there an installation program, or do I just
        copy stuff? Is this a .NET application, or embedded VB? If the latter, how
        big is the runtime, and can I run it off of an expansion card?
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 4, 2004
          These are all really good questions. The code itself is an embedded
          VB application that Ross designed, which is really cool since the
          environment is downloadable from Microsoft for free. It does however
          have it's quirks with the PPC O/S that I'm still working through.

          The initial install is a cab file that can be downloaded from:
          <a
          href="http://www.metacraft.com/PCGScry/#download">http://www.metacraft
          .com/PCGScry/#download</a>
          All you need to do is copy the cab file to a directory on the Pocket
          PC, and double click on it (from the Pocket PC). That's the initial
          install. I haven't created another cab file for it yet, since I'm
          still trying to enhance certain sections of the code and fix some
          problems that I've encountered on my PPC. Once I've corrected these
          and any others that I can fit in, I'll post the code back up to the
          site, since others may want to have a crack at coding it with the
          updated code.

          You will need the runtime which is about 2.853 Kb for the ARM
          runtimes which can be found at:
          <a
          href="http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/resources/downloads/devel
          oper/evb.mspx">http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/resources/downlo
          ads/developer/evb.mspx</a>

          As for whether the app can be run off of an expansion card... I have
          to admit that I haven't tried it although someone might be able to
          give more input on this.

          I'm still fairly new at the Pocket PC thing myself since I've only
          had mine since the end of Dec, and even then it's been at HP more
          often then not. *SIGH* I've learned never to install their firmware
          upgrades or perform a hard reset. One of these doesn't work properly
          on my model, and after 2 tries without my PPC I don't want to go for
          a third.

          I hope that this helps...

          Murray H. Smith

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 4, 2004
            No problem Greg. I intend on using it as much as you guys do. I was
            a previous user of PCGenView on the Palm for over a year, so I'm now
            familiar with both sides of the these types of software. I think
            that PCGScry has quite a bit of potential, and I have to admit that I
            code for a living and I was impressed with Ross's coding style. He
            did a really good job, so I'm trying to keep this true to his coding
            standards, and look and feel of the application.

            I still keep a paper copy for the time being of my sheets, but mostly
            just for 2 weapon fighting, missile weapon upkeep and the like.

            I just hope that you enjoy 1.3.1b when it comes out this weekend. I
            haven't spent much time on it all in all, but it should still have
            several changes to it.

            Thanks Greg and I'll talk to you later.

            Murray H. Smith

            --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Bassett" <gregorybassett@h...>

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 4, 2004
              Sorry about the 2 links, here they are again:
              http://www.metacraft.com/PCGScry/#download

              http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/resources/downloads/developer/e
              vb.mspx

              Murray.

              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 4, 2004
                I beleive that if you load the main file from metacraft and then run it on a
                PPC 2003 device, it will automatically try and connect and get the embedded
                VB files you will need.

                Greg

> [...]
                > > upgrades or perform a hard reset. One of these doesn't work
                >properly
                > > on my model, and after 2 tries without my PPC I don't want to go
                >for
                > > a third.
                > >
                > > I hope that this helps...
                > >
                > > Murray H. Smith
                > >
                > > --- In PCGScry@yahoogroups.com, "Brass Tilde" <brasstilde@i...>
                >and
                > > about
                > > >
                > > > I've been subscribed to this list for some time, but have only
                > > recently
                > > > gotten a PocketPC device. Is there an installation program, or
                >do
                > > I just
                > > > copy stuff? Is this a .NET application, or embedded VB? If the
                > > latter, how
                > > > big is the runtime, and can I run it off of an expansion card?

                Find high-speed �net deals � comparison-shop your local providers here.
                https://broadband.msn.com